+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122

Thread: 5/5 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 5/5 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by DancingDad;2974707;
    Well, I'm finally getting around to writing up my notes from the show. This darn job sure gets in the way of my life.

First off - can't we please lose Samantha? I couldn't believe the tacky remark she made at the outset of the show about getting "Shannon's padded but outta there". I mean come on, show a little class. That wasn't even funny. :nono

Kristi & Mark - Watching the rehearsal footage my fears about Mark as a good lift partner were confirmed. He can barely lift Kristi. So much for high flying lifts in the freestyle round. Kristi & Mark's quickstep was a good solid dance. I liked it a lot. I also liked the Samba for a number of reasons. The difficulty was definitely there. Kristi matched Mark step for step throughout the dance. No other celeb has been able to do that all season. I do agree with Len that the samba rhythm suffered during all the spins.

Mario & Karina - The rehearsal footage of Karina working on lifts in the pool in a white bikini should be used as teaser material on ESPN if ABC wants to increase audience share. She was smoking hot. This was Mario's best outing in the ballroom round. He is defintely getting more comfortable in the smoother dances. I'm not sure where the judges remark about "Britney getting out of a car" came from. I also really liked their jive. I think that Mario and Karina were underscored tonight.

Jason & Edyta - The spray on tan footage should have made it to the cutting room floor. Give me a break! Jason & Edyta's tango was a good solid dance. I didn't think the lift at the end was in the character of the dance though. The music they got for the samba sucked big time and I think it affected the dance. The dance looked slow and draggy to me. Edyta looked fantastic as usual. The lift at the end of this dance was distracting to me as well. We all know that Jason is a big strong guy who can lift Edyta overhead all day, but I would prefer to see that type of lift in the freestyle round and not in a samba. The lifts should be in the character of the dance.

Cristian & Cheryl - Boy, did Cristian surprise me. This was his best outing of the show. I think he did get a little overscored (he wasn't the best of the night) but kudos to him for doing this well. My respect for Cheryl as a choreographer has also been given a boost. I thought she was good before, but to come up with something this good when Cristian has a bum arm is unbelievable. On to the dances. I hated the music "Beat It" for a tango. Their lift fit in very well with the character of the dance and Christian's dance expression was teriffic. The dance did move a little slow for me. As far as the mambo is concerned I thought there was too much standing around and I think this was the most overscored dance of the evening. the lift at the end was good though and gave a good last impression to the judges.

I have also seen the results show and am dissapointed that Mario has left. There is no question in my mind that Marissa was the weakest dancer out there last night and she deserved to go. I just hope her rabid fans don't put her in the finals ahead of more deserving couples.

Final thoughts - Just because one lift is now allowed per dance doesn't mean that it is necessary to put in a big one that doesn't fit in with the dance. A little creativity in this department goes a long way. Props to Cheryl for the way she incorporated the lifts into her choreography. CAN WE PLEASE LOSE SAMANTHA! Samantha may be OK for a scripted show, but she is awful when she has to make up her own lines. She has foot-in-mouth disease big time.
    I know that Mark has done lifts with Sabrina in other dances. I don't think he is that weak, but I don't think he is a fan of lifts either. After Sabrina, Kristi has to be light as a feather. I'm not even sure that he craftily isn't showing what he's got until the freestyle round. Kristi's dancing is so far superior, that she doesn't need the tricks at this stage, but they will need them in the freestyle round.
    Tahoe bound....

Re: 5/5 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by skyhigh79;2974838;
    I know that Mark has done lifts with Sabrina in other dances. I don't think he is that weak, but I don't think he is a fan of lifts either. After Sabrina, Kristi has to be light as a feather. I'm not even sure that he craftily isn't showing what he's got until the freestyle round. Kristi's dancing is so far superior, that she doesn't need the tricks at this stage, but they will need them in the freestyle round.
    I hope you're right. That didn't look like acting in the rehearsal footage.

I agree with you about Kristi's skills. I don't think very many of the pros have her balance in the turns. Bruno seems to be the only judge that recognizes this.

+ Reply to Thread