+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2324252627282930313233

Thread: 3/24 Show Discussion **Spoiler**

Re: 3/24 Show Discussion **Spoiler**

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses;2867405;
    But I do know what is and isn't appropriate on a family network show in prime time. I guess the pig is too stupid to understand that it isn't up to the viewers to 'get him' and what passes for humor in his mind, but that instead it's up to him to 'get' that DWtS viewers have a different standard for behaviour on that show than what he's used to in his world.
    I touched base today with a friend who has a 10 y/o daughter, whose favorite show is DWTS, and she gets to stay up late and watch. My friend said she was horrified and so was her husband. They are not prudes, but they are really pod about this. It is prime time family hour, I remember walking down the street with my niece when she was younger, and hearing people curse, or filthy rap music coming from a car, etc. A very uncomfortable feeling. Me - I don't have young kids around and I can watch and listen to what I want. But the "family hour" really should be respected, IMO.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Can I just say that I hate that "bitch" has become such a mundane word that it's thrown around and people aren't supposed to take offense to it 'cause it was meant in jest. What if someone had referred to Bruno in a derogatory way as being gay or what not (I have no idea about his orientation and don't really care--just using an example). There's no way that people wouldn't have taken offense. It's derogatory and offensive and should be taken seriously, just as it would be taken seriously if someone referred to a member of a minority with a derogatory word.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2867660;
    Can I just say that I hate that "bitch" has become such a mundane word that it's thrown around and people aren't supposed to take offense to it 'cause it was meant in jest. What if someone had referred to Bruno in a derogatory way as being gay or what not (I have no idea about his orientation and don't really care--just using an example). There's no way that people wouldn't have taken offense. It's derogatory and offensive and should be taken seriously, just as it would be taken seriously if someone referred to a member of a minority with a derogatory word.
    I have to agree with you, Lois. When even having to write about this thing with Adam Pig, I was self-conscious in typing the word out in a public forum, and I'm no prude, either, but I just think that some words and phrases still belong in a category that shouldn't make it so comfortable to toss off lightly in a conversation, public comments, or songs that kids listen to. And to call someone any name is just childish, but to call someone a foul name on network tv, on a family rated show, during hours kids can and do watch it, then to make light of it just shows a complete lack of common sense and maturity. And it wouldn't have been funny coming from anyone, I don't care if they call themselves a comedian or not. Sometimes I think that common sense is fast becoming an endangered trait.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

FORT Fogey

Unfortunately that word gets thrown around more and more on TV these days. There is even one daytime talkshow host who thinks she is funny when she says it while referring to ladies skinnier than she is.

I think it is offense.

not to defend him at all, I don't like it used in any connotation.
    but I really don't think he was saying it about Carrie-Ann. It was comment directed to the score, not the person. I think he would have blurted it out no matter who gave him the first score.

Quote Originally Posted by schmoo2;2867780;
    not to defend him at all, I don't like it used in any connotation.
    but I really don't think he was saying it about Carrie-Ann. It was comment directed to the score, not the person. I think he would have blurted it out no matter who gave him the first score.
    That's entirely possible. I don't believe he'd have used the same word if it had been one of the male judges, but I admit it's a possibility. Unfortunately, it still doesn't make it right that he said it at all on the show.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2867660;
    ANd that bothers me. A friends 11 year old daughter was called fat at school and she called the other girl a bitch after the fat comment. Well guess who got in trouble? And my friend (I can't believe what I'm about to type) actually told the teacher that the word bitch has become something to be proud of while fat is still derogatory and can hurt someone's self esteem and that saying fat was MUCH worse than saying bitch!

It's a sad commentary when this is acceptable behavior these days. I'm personally sick of that word. It's EVERYWHERE.

On another note, my daughter was talking to my husband who is out of town and missed last night show.

Her summary of it to her father:

Penn was still stiff and clumsy
    Monica still dances pretty awful
    Pricilla still is scary looking, but danced really well.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Are they doing eliminations tonight?

I've been flipping back and forth but so far have only seen repeats of the dances.

Results start at 9

+ Reply to Thread