+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Kristi Yamaguchi & Mark Ballas - Season 6

Re: Kristi Yamaguchi & Mark Ballas - Season 6

Quote Originally Posted by Beej;2889520;
    Take it from someone who was a competitive figure skater that she does have a distinct advantage. She is an amazing skater, and she is doing very well in this show but quite frankly, she really had better.

First. Any competitive skater takes all of their dances up to the gold level. The only level higher is Diamond and only those that persue the dance discipline in figure skating typically take the diamond dances. The dances she is doing, she has already learned similar holds to pass her dances. The steps are similar, but not identical. Let's be realistic here, she is very familiar with the expectations as she has had to meet them previously.

Second. She was the american champion in pairs and competed at the world level in the pairs discipline. Even to this day when she skates in shows she does perform pairs numbers. She has already learned holds, and the feeling of a partner leading them around the ice. She also has had extensive training in lifts and throws. As a singles competitor, it can be hard to deal with a partner that leads you, but as a female pairs skater you are lead extensively by your partner.

Finally to reach the level of competition she did AND win, she had to master the most important thing that the judges comment on. Hands and Feet. Look at her hands compared to the rest, and look at her feet. Her hands are always finished and her toes are pointed. If you don't have finished hands and feet when you compete in figure skating you quickly lose...thanks for coming out. The other MAJOR advantage she has over every other person is her ability to "count" the beat. You have to learn musicality and the ability to interpret the music you are skating to. She completely understands the concept of hitting "beats" when she performs as well as understanding 2/2, 2/4, 4/4, ect.

I am not detracting from how good she is but it isn't a faor competition and she should be held to a much higher standard than the rest. While they are still learning holds, counting and steps, she can focus on the finishing moves that make the difference between an OK performance and an amazing one. And she can do that because of her experience figure skating.
    I too am an ice dancer (gold level) and a former pair skater (bronze level). I have also been known to do a lot of ballroom dance. I actually think that the translation works better from the dance floor to the ice than the other way around. BTW - I was a ballroom dancer before I learned to skate (although at this point I have spent way more time on the ice than I have on the dance floor), so I am probably biased.

I think that Kristi's pair skating background will really come into play later in the competition when the freestyle dances start. I definitely think she'll make it that far. She'll probably be better in the lifts than a lot of the pros. My pair skating background has been fantastic for teaching the kids at my daughter's dance studio how to do freestyle dance moves.

they kind of bore me? i'm like carrie ann, i realize they can dance but i'm not cheering them on, i don't feel anything. there isn't an emotional connection.
    It's easy to be miserable. Being happy is tougher - and cooler.
    thom yorke

Unless they have changed things this season, I believe no lifts are allowed until the finals freestyle.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel;2895398;
    Unless they have changed things this season, I believe no lifts are allowed until the finals freestyle.

That is what I thought I said. She will definitely have an advantage if she makes it to that point. that's OK by me though, because I'm rooting for her.

Oops, sorry DancingDad, I misread what you wrote. I do agree that Kristi will have an advantage in the lifts. For one thing, since she's done them before and knows she has an experienced partner, she won't have the fear factor that someone else might.

I'm rooting for her, too.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Ha ha ha... the biggest advantage to the lifts is her size...0. Lot easy to lift her than some of the others. However, by the time we get to the freestyle it's anybody's guess who will still be standing

I think Mark is an amazing dancer and a brilliant choreographer. I'm glad he has a partner that is capable of dancing at his level.
    Tahoe bound....

FORT Regular

This pair is good dance wise but they bore me. I also found Mark's faces (what was going on there, he did them during the pro results dance w/Julianne as well) annoying. Mark needs to dress his partner better. I thought the bad costumes were Sabrina's decisions but clearly it was Mark. His choreography is good but very one note: aggressive and all about him. Just not a fan of him and wish Kristi was paired with a better pro. Right now, she is a bore and the producers so want her to win that I do not want to vote for her. Might as well flash a sign that says Kristi-DWTS season 6 champ each time she dances.

I do believe that based on this season so far that Kristi deserves to win, but as we know in DWTS history a man has won 4 out of the 5 seasons, even if the female dancer in the final two is better than the male (Mel with Maks.) I believe that Jason is really going to give her a run for her money though. I can see him winning although I'd rather5 have Kristi win.
    Put me in a special school, 'Cause I am such a fool.
    'Troublemaker' from the band Weezer

FORT Regular

If they want a woman to win, I am going for Shannon or Marlee. Their partnerships are more entertaining and like the improvement both are bringing to the table. I love Kristi though, but the producer's push for her (and Jason) are turning me off on rooting for them and I am giving my support to Shannon and Marlee.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkberry30;2908339;
    If they want a woman to win, I am going for Shannon or Marlee. Their partnerships are more entertaining and like the improvement both are bringing to the table. I love Kristi though, but the producer's push for her (and Jason) are turning me off on rooting for them and I am giving my support to Shannon and Marlee.
    I'm a huge fan of both of those women in the competition.
    Put me in a special school, 'Cause I am such a fool.
    'Troublemaker' from the band Weezer

+ Reply to Thread