Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Kristi Yamaguchi & Mark Ballas - Season 6

FORT Newbie

Re: Kristi Yamaguchi & Mark Ballas - Season 6

I love her!! she give so many energy on the dancefloor each time
    i am so excited to see her everytime.

Its on like Donkey Kong! DarKensoul7's Avatar

After the Cha Cha faceoff and free style, it is clear that Kristi should win. It would be a big disappointment if she doesn't.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein

This is silly but I am going to say it anyway! Did anyone notice the way Kristi was shaking her feet and legs before they started when all the dancers were out front in the beginning? It was exactly the same thing she used to do before she skated! That's all just thought is was funny and cute.

Go Kristi!!!

Kristi should win this... it's all about knowing "how" to dance.
    She danced on ice... she can dance on anything!
    I haven't seen the show & I don't care to however, Kristi knows how to dance!
    I'm waiting on Thursday Night.... SYTYCD... The real dancers!

It should be Kristi for the win. Her and Mark were my favorites from the very beginning.

Anyone know what dance they've selected for their reprise tonight? I hope it's their first Jive. That was my favorite competition dance of the season.

I'm thinking the same thing Dad, should be their first Jive, It could also be their Rhumba.
    Tahoe bound....

I am extremely unhappy and disappointed. But then, I've already explained in detail why in other threads. Anyway...
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

I didn't like the UNlevel playing field in this season's competition, and think this victory will always be marred because of the huge advantage Kristi had over the other contestants in choreographed musical dance, lifts, and fitness. She was competing in something she already gets paid to do professionally.

Quote Originally Posted by fireflyer;3019531;
    I didn't like the UNlevel playing field in this season's competition, and think this victory will always be marred because of the huge advantage Kristi had over the other contestants in choreographed musical dance, lifts, and fitness. She was competing in something she already gets paid to do professionally.
    I don't think that there is any such thing as a level playing field in this competition. Every year we get a diverse set of celebs who come from both the professional sports and entertainment industries. Each year we get some competitors that have a background that, while not professional dance, has perpared them physically and mentally for the competition better than others. This year is no different. It could be argued that this year Marissa had a better dance background than Kristi because she was a professional dancer on the Broadway stage.

I will not deny that Kristi brought a combination of skills to the competition that some others did not have. These skills included: body control, discipline, work ethic, attention to detail, expressing music, etc. Some of the competitors had some of these skills and others had none. Those skills did NOT include being a professional dancer, especially a ballroom dancer. Her experience with lifts was 18 years ago, but I won't deny that that was another asset in her favor. Many other competitors this season also brought assets to the competition including those mentioned above. Should they have also been disqualified?

Kristi was a single and pairs skater, not an ice dancer. Single and pair skaters interpret the feel of the music (some better than others), but do not deal with staying on the beat of the music as a ballroom competitor must. Some people laughed at Kristi when she was talking about worrying about foot positions, but she was telling the truth. When a skater places their blade on the ice they worry about what edge it is on, not whether a heel or toe lead is required on a particular step. Wrong edge placement means you land on your nose.

I do understand what I am talking about from a technical standpoint. I taught social dance (translation - beginning ballroom) for 2 years while I was in college. I competed successfully at ice dancing at an adult champoinship level, and I am a pairs skater as well (the picture in my avatar is me).

Should we outlaw any competitors that have skills that have better prepared them to compete? That would lead to some pretty dreadful TV. I for one would tune out immediately. Think of a season filled with nothing but Kenny Maine and Master P. I shudder at the thought. Should a quota be set on how many of those skills one can have? If so how do you quantify and factor the skills? I sure wouldn't want to be the one making those calls. Best we leave the show as it is. Since a level playing field is impossible, we might as well have a diverse mix.

The voting public is the great equalizer in this competition. If they collectively feel that a competitor has an unfair advantage they will vote them off the show. That didn't happen here because a majority obviously thought it was just fine for Kristi to compete. The vocal minority has been complaining ever since, often making remarks that are very critical of Kristi personally. If you have a gripe about the celebrity selection process address it to the producers, not the competitor. All Kristi has done is dance her best while exhibiting good sportsmanship throughout the show.

I wish those posting caustic remarks would do a little homework first before making derogatory statements about someone like Kristi who has an incredible amount of class. It is a tribute to her that she has not commented on those who have attacked her. I think that many are just upset that their favorite celebrity was outdone in the competition. Get over it folks, she won fair and square.

+ Reply to Thread