+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Kristi Yamaguchi & Mark Ballas - Season 6

Re: Kristi Yamaguchi & Mark Ballas - Season 6

For those who think she had an unfair advantage, with whom I disagree, she's hardly the first to have had dance training. Here are two I can think of just offhand without doing the online research that would show more than a few others.

Jane Seymour had years of ballet until she was injured. Stacey Kiebler, she of the long long legs, had ballet, tap, and jazz dance classes starting at age 3.

As a fan of ballroom dance, I loved watching all three of these women. I realize I will not convince Kristi's detractors; everyone's entitled to their own opinion of what they want to see.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by beachgirl4;2951541;
    I agree with you. I don't think she's the only one that has been on this show that came in with an advantage. Personally, I preferred it the way the started out - with all actors who really had to come out of their element to try something totally new. That was more enjoyable to me, and it seemed more inspiring to want to try something totally new. They seem to be adding more and more athletes, and I just don't care for that as much.

I like seeing the athletes perform. I think the overall quality of the dancing has improved with the addition of the athletes. For me this is much more entertaining. I know it is only my opinion, others may like to see celebrities that make a dance look like a train wreck (Master P anyone?).

Not all the athletes wind up looking great on the dance floor either. I thought Clyde Drexler was awful, and Monica Seles (talented and fluid as she was on the tennis court) didn't ever look comfortable on the dance floor.

It all depends on the individual - what coordination and presentation skills they bring to the competion and how hard they are willing to work. Having a pro that they gel with is also a BIG plus in this show. With the right raport, choreography and chemistry the celebs that are willing to work can really shine.

FORT Fogey

My question is I keep hearing that the stars try out. So how is it that one or two are amazing, a couple are so-so, and some are horrible. How hard is it to put all stars with closer abilities on the same season. It seems the casting needs to try harder. Also, why not have put Kristi with the newer dancer Fabian who is not going to garner as many of his own votes as Mark. Try and pair the star vote getters with the lesser known or popular dancers, and the stars that might not be as known with the higher vote getter dancers.

FORT Regular

I think all the stars try but what we see on the floor varies. Some are very new to performing live and others just do not have the physical abilities either. Alec Mazo said that it is not big of a difference what Kristi is doing so that may explain her being so much better. Karina and other ballroom dancers also skated before too so they may have better opinions on whether it is that different.

I see your point about maybe putting Kristi with a different pro, but Kristi would be doing well in this competition if she danced solo or with the least popular pro. Mark is popular but he is no where near as popular as Maks or even the Houghs to make a difference. It is Kristi that is the draw here. That is why many stopped watching or did not even give this season a try.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkberry30;2952542;
    I think all the stars try but what we see on the floor varies. Some are very new to performing live and others just do not have the physical abilities either. Alec Mazo said that it is not big of a difference what Kristi is doing so that may explain her being so much better. Karina and other ballroom dancers also skated before too so they may have better opinions on whether it is that different.

I see your point about maybe putting Kristi with a different pro, but Kristi would be doing well in this competition if she danced solo or with the least popular pro. Mark is popular but he is no where near as popular as Maks or even the Houghs to make a difference. It is Kristi that is the draw here. That is why many stopped watching or did not even give this season a try.
    I think they did try to do that to some extent. Julianne was put with Adam and Cheryl was put with Christian, surely neither of them were pre-show favorites. My guess is that the producers thought Kristi might be good, and they paired her with a pro who is younger and doesn't have the track record of some of the others. Kristi and Mark just turned out to have great chemistry together.

I've been a fan of Kristi since her ice skating days, so I am pumped she's on the show. I've been rooting (and voting) for her since day one!

I find it slightly amusing that everyone who is a favorite and early pick to win, is always said to have an unfair advantage (Drew, Joey, Sabrina). The only thing I think she has over some others is natural grace, fine-tuned by her skating. That being said, I think Jason Taylor is graceful (as graceful as a guy can be). Neither or which has had formal ballroom dance training.

I think people need to lay off Kristi....it's a show, there are rules, and if she was found to be in violation of thr rules she wouldn't have been offered to be on the show in the first place.
    Forever a Word Nerd

Love Kristi and Mark!! Her turns in the first dance were off by a hair because the whole turn section is blind for her falling into his arms backwards!! Yikes that was amazing. I went back and watched a couple of times. The timing had to be perfect or she ends on the floor on her head?! Carrie Ann needs to get her head checked... lets see anyone else do what they did.

Keep up the great choreography Mark... I'm so looking forward to your choreography in the freestyle!!
    Tahoe bound....

I can't wait to see Krsti each week. I think she is a very hard working humble person. I think she is also a little self conscious of working with Mark which means she finds him attractive personally. Who wouldn't? I love his distinctive nose. Puurrrrr......

FORT Regular

Kristi is great. I think Mark's choreography does not do Kristi justice though. Kristi and Mark are not an exciting couple. It is all Kristi and I forget about Mark. He must know this because his costumes are so "look at me". I wish he would choreograph to showcase Kristi more than himself. Kristi and Louis would be more dynamic for me. Mark as a newbie is getting a gift of a win and I would prefer it to go to a pro like Louis who is more talented and deserves it. Not a newbie who could not take Sabrina to even week 7.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I love Kristi and Mark. I am sure she had an advantage with the choreography, coordination, and balance that goes along with ice skating, but as others have mentioned, so have previous contestants. Didn't I hear that Paula Abdul is going to be on next time - wouldn't that be much more of an advantage - to be an actual dancer and choreographer?

+ Reply to Thread