+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Marissa Jaret Winokur & Tony Dovolani - Season 6

Re: Marissa Jaret Winokur & Tony Dovolani - Season 6

Did anbody see this, yet? Hope it was OK to put it here.

Dancing with the Stars

DWTS Baby News: Tony Dovolani and Wife Expecting

Dancing with the Stars pro dancer Tony Dovolani and his wife Lina are expecting twins, Dovolani confirms exclusively to PEOPLE. The couple already have a two-year-old daughter, Luana.

Dovolani, who’s paired with Broadway star Marissa Jaret Winokur this season, tells PEOPLE, “everything is great” with his wife’s pregnancy, which is four months along. Lina is 26.

“Kids are a blessing and give your life purpose and meaning,” he says.

Perhaps this explains why Dovolani, 34, known for his intensity on the ballroom floor, has been smiling so much on the show this season. Reharsals with Winokur, who’s expecting a son via a surrogate, have been a blast, he says.

“I cannot stop smiling this year and part of the reason is Marissa is a sweetheart,” Dovolani says, acknowledging that ballroom dancing is not all they have in common these days. “I’m thinking about my babies and she’s thinking about her baby. Now if somebody doesn’t point their toe it’s no longer as important as it used to be.” –Monica Rizzo

DWTS Baby News: Tony Dovolani and Wife Expecting Twins - Fall TV Watch

Congratulations to them!

No WONDER it's seemed like there's a different Tony in the house this season!

Last edited by ness; 04-01-2008 at 07:09 PM.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

FORT Fogey

I am so glad that Marissa and Tony will be back next week. I really enjoy her positive energy.

Marissa said in an interview later she felt they deserved 8s (total 24). Talk about a sense of entitlement. She should be grateful for the 19 she got, and all the sympathy votes which kept her in. Hey Marissa: it's a dance competition, not a plucky, bubbly, aren't-I-adorable-even-though-I'm-not-a-size-2 contest.

Quote Originally Posted by tango7;2894590;
    Marissa said in an interview later she felt they deserved 8s (total 24). Talk about a sense of entitlement. She should be grateful for the 19 she got, and all the sympathy votes which kept her in. Hey Marissa: it's a dance competition, not a plucky, bubbly, aren't-I-adorable-even-though-I'm-not-a-size-2 contest.
    She felt they deserved all 8s for that, huh?

'Y'know, from starting out wondering WTH was up with Marissa (and that she needed to dial it down a notch or two), to finding myself actually liking her, after what you said, tango7, she's making me raise an eyebrow back to where I started with her.

Sure, I think the judges unfairly raked HER over the coals for what, to me, TONY had responsibility for, and no, the score they got WASN'T great . . .

But I don't think the judges were THAT far off being totally right, either.

She needs to get OUT of LaLa Land and into the Land of Reality, QUICK!
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Prior to the start of the season I had picked this girl along with Kristi to be the ones to beat. After all, she did play a girl who dances her way to fame in the Broadway production of Hairspray. She even won a Tony Award for her efforts. I expected her to act like mor of a pro. She's acting like a teenager. I'm guessing the judges are experiencing the same feelings as I am. When you have higher expectations it is easy to become disapointed with the results.

Marissa can do better. I am convinced she has it in her. She needs to stop treating this show like a fun little vacation diversion and start to apply the same dedication and energy she would in a Broadway gig. She's obviously having fun in rehearsals, but when the results are sub-par during the show she gets depressed. Marissa - buckle down in rehearsals and you'll have more fun during the show (especially during the results portion). Push Tony harder! You're a pro. Act like one.

When I found out about Marissa (who she was, the fact that she was going to be on the show, etc.) I really liked her and was rooting for her, even though I have several favorites among the others. But she quickly grated on me, and it gets worse with each passing week and every interview I see.

I’ve seen comments elsewhere blaming Tony, but he is an undefeated champ. I think his mistake is coddling her, and buying into her bs, like so many others seem to be.

An interesting note: Marissa and Lucy Lawless (“Xena”) are very good friends. I saw an excerpt from Lucy’s website, and apparently the Lucy fans are banding together in droves to keep Marissa on.

she's kind of annoying to be honest. i want to like her but can't because of her attitude and the way she sort of panders for sympathy votes.
    It's easy to be miserable. Being happy is tougher - and cooler.
    thom yorke

Quote Originally Posted by tango7;2895069;
    When I found out about Marissa (who she was, the fact that she was going to be on the show, etc.) I really liked her and was rooting for her, even though I have several favorites among the others. But she quickly grated on me, and it gets worse with each passing week and every interview I see.

I’ve seen comments elsewhere blaming Tony, but he is an undefeated champ. I think his mistake is coddling her, and buying into her bs, like so many others seem to be.

An interesting note: Marissa and Lucy Lawless (“Xena”) are very good friends. I saw an excerpt from Lucy’s website, and apparently the Lucy fans are banding together in droves to keep Marissa on.
    Which in other words, she is guaranteed to win! LOL. She has a lot of geeky fans on her side by relation.

[QUOTE=tango7;2895069;]I’ve seen comments elsewhere blaming Tony, but he is an undefeated champ. I think his mistake is coddling her, and buying into her bs, like so many others seem to be.[/QUOTE]

tango, yes, Tony IS an undefeated champ. I've seen him dancing on PBS with (I think) Elena Grinenko. One time, I saw them do a rhumba that was so hot it damn near melted my TV.

Yep, they won whatever competition it was that they were dancing in at that time.

Just considering what I see in front of me on DWTS, I think Tony bears most of the responsibilty for Marissa's apparent inability to get out of the teens in scores (even though she danced on Broadway and won a Tony Award for her role), because, like you say above, he coddles her and buys into her "woe is me" deal.

But --- bottom line --- HE is the teacher/choreographer. I think the buck stops with HIM in this case, because Marissa HAS danced on B-way, and it looks to me like he IS coddling her, treating her with kid gloves.

She's not a TOTAL dancing novice, after all. Yeah, there's a difference between dancing on Broadway and dancing ballroom, but it's not like she NEVER danced a particular discipline before, so he's not starting with a completely empty slate.

I also think part of this has to do with the fact that they've both got babies coming (TWINS, in his case!), and he may be indulging himself in Papa Bear Syndrome, or something.

Looks to me like he's not pushing her like he pushed Stacey. I don't think Stacey'd ever ballroom-danced before, but I remember that lousy routine he choreographed for their freestyle. It included a lift, and Stacey said she was terrified of heights. Tony got her on a trapeze, and the lift went in to the dance, but you could tell when she was up there that she was just about to lose her dinner. I think she was still shaking when they went over to get the judges' critique.

Is it any wonder they wound up in third place?

In that case, I think he pushed her too hard to do something she totally was not comfortable with (plus the routine wasn't that great, either).

Honestly, I don't think he has a clue of what to do with whoever it is that he dances with on this show, how to gauge and assess his star partners and deal accordingly with whoever it is that he's got in front of him at the time.

Just my random thoughts.

FORT Fogey
    I'm not a Marissa fan. She just seems a bit too desperate - or something. Can't put my finger on it.

I love Tony. I think he's gorgeous. NOt sure what happened with their last dance, but something went wrong and as much as I like him and dislike her, I think the choreography was weak. I think he needs to push his partners into more complicated routines.

Although, having said that, last week was pretty blah down the line. I think poor music choices had a lot to do with it. A good team can still shine with a bad song, but the less fortunate really need better music. Tony and Marissa had a very bad song to dance to.

+ Reply to Thread