+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516

Thread: Marissa Jaret Winokur & Tony Dovolani - Season 6

Re: Marissa Jaret Winokur & Tony Dovolani - Season 6

Quote Originally Posted by stacerace;3017960;
    I consider a deserving person as someone who beats the odds and improves greatly from the beginning. While she didn't dance at the caliber of some of the others, she did the best she could with what she has. She certainly did a lot better than what I could do. I am 4'10" myself at 189 lbs and there's no way I could do anything like that. My knees are too messed up from carrying so much extra weight for so long. I enjoyed seeing someone with my body type on the show at all and for her to do so well was very impressive to me. What I don't think is fair is Christy staying in the competition so long. She is already a professional dancer and had an unfair advantage. I don't watch this show to watch professional dancers NOT improve and dance at the exact same caliber on the finale they they unfairly won that they did on the first episode. The only difference I saw was adding facial expressions that made her look stupid and didn't see any acting or emoting out of it. I watch this show to watch people defy the odds and do something that they have been told they can't do like Marissa and Jason and Cristian and Marlee and Priscilla, and then improve upon it week by week. I enjoyed every celebrity this season except for Christy. I don't think I'll be able to enjoy watching her skate anymore after this because now I know how dry and condescending her personality is.
    I hate to break the news to you, but Marissa was just as much of a professional dancer as Kristi, possibly more so. She danced on Broadway for 1 year as the lead in Hairspray. She even won the Tony award for the show. If you don't know the show it is about an overweight girl who is a dancer and works to win a dance competition.

Many of the celebrities on the show have a dance background of some kind. Look at the boy band members who have performed on the show in the past. I didn't think that Kristi was condescending at all. She has always been a very reserved person. It was hard for her to come out of her emotional cocoon in order to shine in the later dances of the season. That is where her growth came this season, in the performance aspect of the show.

I consider a deserving person as someone who beats the odds and improves greatly from the beginning. While she didn't dance at the caliber of some of the others, she did the best she could with what she has. She certainly did a lot better than what I could do. I am 4'10" myself at 189 lbs and there's no way I could do anything like that. My knees are too messed up from carrying so much extra weight for so long. I enjoyed seeing someone with my body type on the show at all and for her to do so well was very impressive to me. What I don't think is fair is Christy staying in the competition so long. She is already a professional dancer and had an unfair advantage. I don't watch this show to watch professional dancers NOT improve and dance at the exact same caliber on the finale they they unfairly won that they did on the first episode. The only difference I saw was adding facial expressions that made her look stupid and didn't see any acting or emoting out of it. I watch this show to watch people defy the odds and do something that they have been told they can't do like Marissa and Jason and Cristian and Marlee and Priscilla, and then improve upon it week by week. I enjoyed every celebrity this season except for Christy. I don't think I'll be able to enjoy watching her skate anymore after this because now I know how dry and condescending her personality is.
    I watch this show to watch dancing, I prefer good dancing and not personalities. While I might enjoy some of the personalities, if the good dancers leave I'll stop watching. I'm not alone either. So that is why we have a mix. Opinions are like belly buttons, everybody has one. Marissa's personality turned me off and Kristi was rather reserved.
    Tahoe bound....

Kristi is not and never has been a professional dancer. As you said yourself, Kristi (was) a skater – not a dancer. Marissa didn't beat any odds and her improvement, if any, was minimal.

You might want to read this entire thread, in addition to Marissa's infantile blogs. As far as stupid facial expressions, Marissa wins the prize for that. Marissa should also have been given first prize for 1) stuffing the ballot box 2) admittedly voting for herself lots of times by creating dozens of e-mail addresses – how pathetic. 3) thinking she can win a dance competition by grinning and screeching 4) Using all kinds of ploys (crying, blathering on about not being a size 2, doing it for the big gals, “love me – I’m adorable” etc) to get sympathy 5) insisting that the wardrobe dept. dress her in outfits that are too tight, too short, and (in Marissa’s own words) “show a lot of skin” 6) performing and looking like a spectacle in the group dance 6) begging for votes so she could “be in the group dance, be on the cover of TV Guide” – never because she was a decent dancer.

If you watched any of the show, you heard Marissa being introduced as “Tony Award winner” – as pointed out to you, she won the award for her performance as the dancing Tracy Turnblad in the musical “Hairspray”.

As far as her weight, I never saw that as an issue, nor did a lot of other people. The one who made an issue of Marissa’s weight was Marissa. However, not being a size 2 does not mean that a person cannot be a good dancer. The late Nell Carter (who was quite heavy and also short) could have taught Marissa a few things. Lots of people talked about pressing the mute button when Marissa was talking - that has nothing to do with weight.

As I said before, Marissa lasted longer than much better performing contestants. She should have been gone the third week. She was the most coddled, spoiled, annoying contestant to ever be on DWTS. The very idea of her being in the semi-finals was ridiculous. Had it not been for the Xena fans, she would have.

AS far as the rumors about Marissa getting a talk show, pffft.
    I'd rather watch a show hosted by Master P.

No, No Tango... tell us how you REALLY feel .

Very well stated. I agree with your well thought out comments on Marissa. She's tends to be obnoxious and a little of her personality goes a long way.
    Tahoe bound....

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Link Here

Marissa Jaret Winokur has six more weeks until the July 22 due date of her baby – and she's not ready.

"I'm the most ill-prepared parent on the planet," the Tony-winning Hairspray star told PEOPLE at her baby shower Monday at Manhattan's Hudson Hotel. "We were doing construction at our house and I went off and did Dancing with the Stars. Four months later, nothing's gotten done and I'm totally in a panic."

Winokur, a survivor of cervical cancer, is using a surrogate for the delivery. (Because Winokur's treatment included a radical hysterectomy, she is not able to become pregnant or carry a baby.)

The impending arrival, a little boy, will be named Zev. "It means wolf in Hebrew," says Winokur. "My husband wanted it to be Wolfie, and I just thought that's such a hard name for a little, little boy."

As for preparing to be a mom, "I honestly didn't think I was going to be on Dancing with the Stars as long as I was," she says. "I figured I'd get voted off the second week and then I'd get ready for the baby. I literally stopped working two weeks ago and now I've only got six weeks. It will fly by."

In the meantime, Winokur's been relying on her husband, TV writer Judah Miller, to pick up the slack – with some unexpected results.

"I sent him to Home Depot to get a carpet to put in the baby's room, and he tells me, 'I bought nine tiki torches for the pool.' And I said, 'Oh good so we can have a barbecue. What did you get for the baby?' "

As for indoors, "I told my husband I wanted shabby-chic furniture for the nursery. He told me he found this really great furniture while I was dancing, so he got to buy everything. He bought this gorgeous, but mid-century modern furniture from a company called Netto. It's minimalistic and as un-shabby-chic as possible."

She added, "My husband's a purist when it comes to our house, so he’s in a lot of trouble."
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

FORT Regular

About a month left for Marissa. I am excited for her and her husband.

Link Here

Marissa Jaret Winokur, of Dancing with the Stars, and her husband, comedy writer Judah Miller, are the parents of their first child, son Zev Isaac Miller, Winokur tells PEOPLE exclusively.

Winokur and Miller helped deliver the baby on Tuesday. The child was carried to term by a surrogate mother.

"He is so perfect," Winokur, 35, told PEOPLE on Thursday. "My little miracle baby is here, and I can't believe it."

Zev (his name means wolf in Hebrew) weighed 8 lbs., 7 oz. and measured 21 inches long.

"I'd say he's got a Winokur face and a Miller body," says Winokur, the third runner-up on Dancing last season and a Tony Award-winner for her leading role in Broadway's Hairspray.

Winokur, who survived cervical cancer seven years ago, announced the pregnancy last March exclusively to PEOPLE.

"I told Judah the minute Zev was conceived our lives changed," says Winokur.

After Dancing, Winokur landed a deal to host her own talk show, while Miller received his first primetime Emmy nomination last week for outstanding animated program for his work on King of the Hill.

"One minute I'm totally fine, and the next minute I'm overwhelmed with emotion," a teary-eyed Winokur said. "I can't believe I am sitting here next to my baby. This is the one thing that's been missing from our lives. Now our house is really going to be a home."
    Congratulations!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;3143788;
    Link Here

Congratulations!!!
    Here, Here!

Congratulations Marissa!

Link Here

Marissa Jaret Winokur is headed back to Broadway's Hairspray as the splashy musical in which she got her career start heads into its final weeks. And , this time, she's taking her baby.

Starting Dec. 9, Winokur will reprise her starring role as the ample and eager Baltimore teen Tracy Turnblad, for which she won a 2003 Tony as best leading actress in a musical.

“When I started with the show I was cancer-free, I was single, I had no kids. I was just an unemployed actress," the former Dancing with the Stars finalist and cervical-cancer survivor, who welcomed son Zev Isaac Miller last July, tells PEOPLE.

"To go back to the show that gave me a career, gave me a life and now I can share this with my child – how do you say no? Besides, when does a 35-year-old get to play 16?"

Winokur says she couldn't resist one last hurrah, even though initially she was terrified. (The show, which will close Jan. 4, already has its original leading actor back in place: fellow Tony winner Harvey Fierstein, who plays Tracy's mother, Edna Turnblad.)

Couldn't Resist
    "The idea of going back to New York City with a newborn was ridiculously scary, and I was like, there's no way I'm going to do it," says Winokur. "But then there's the idea of standing in midtown with my billboard and my son and taking a picture of that. How cool would that be?"

Preparing for the adventure has meant a lot of advance planning and a little kvetching, Winokur admits.

"It's Zev's first plane ride, Zev's first Christmas, the first time I will have left the house for more than an hour with Zev," she says, laughing. "I'm packing for us now. I'm getting one suitcase, but he's getting three. All of his clothes are so small but he needs all of his things to make it look like our house."

+ Reply to Thread