+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Monica Seles & Jonathan Roberts - Season 6

Re: Monica Seles & Jonathan Roberts - Season 6

I was just rewatching last week's video of Monica and Jonathan's dance, and I just have to say that every time I see Jonathan on the show, I'm always so impressed with him... both as a dancer and as a man. As a man, he's just such a cutie -- when he's dressed formally in a dance number, as he was with Monica last Tuesday, he always reminds me of the groom figure on top of a wedding cake. And I know that sounds like I'm making fun of him, but I'm not... it's just a reference to his coloring, hair style, and classic handsome features. But I'm also always impressed with the personality we see from him, and it's been consistent since season 4. He seems to be such a sweet, sensitive, and kind gentleman who relates to people so well. Emphasis on his sweetness. I always look at his face when he's standing there as his celeb partner is speaking, or one of the judges, or one of the hosts, and he just reacts so sweetly and naturally. I really do like this guy.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses;2865162;
    I was just rewatching last week's video of Monica and Jonathan's dance, and I just have to say that every time I see Jonathan on the show, I'm always so impressed with him... both as a dancer and as a man. As a man, he's just such a cutie -- when he's dressed formally in a dance number, as he was with Monica last Tuesday, he always reminds me of the groom figure on top of a wedding cake. And I know that sounds like I'm making fun of him, but I'm not... it's just a reference to his coloring, hair style, and classic handsome features. But I'm also always impressed with the personality we see from him, and it's been consistent since season 4. He seems to be such a sweet, sensitive, and kind gentleman who relates to people so well. Emphasis on his sweetness. I always look at his face when he's standing there as his celeb partner is speaking, or one of the judges, or one of the hosts, and he just reacts so sweetly and naturally. I really do like this guy.

I hadn't really thought about it before, but reading your post, I have to agree completely. There are quite a few of the professional dancers who seem to look at their star partners as either an aid or obstacle to winning the title -- as if the contest is about them. They get irritated at a partner who is less than talented, and take all the credit themselves for a good partner. Jonathan does not share those characteristics AT ALL. He really does seem to understand that his job is to welcome his celebrity partner into his world of dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses;2865162;
    he always reminds me of the groom figure on top of a wedding cake.
    Yes, you're right. He does!

ITA with both Nemeses and Veruka.

Jonathan really caught my eye last season when he danced with Marie. I took note of how supportive of her he was from their very first dance (even though, I've got to admit, I got a sort of "Dancing With His Mother" vibe from them on that first go-round! ). When she fainted, my take on him was upped even more. When her father passed, well . . . etc., etc.

Yes, he's definitely a cutie, but what stands out most to me about him is his apparent compassion for and support of his partners. He seems to be quite a gentleman and he seems to be interested in his partners as people, not just another job in another season of DWTS.

That, to me, transcends any mirrored-ball trophy!
    Last edited by ness; 03-24-2008 at 06:14 PM.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Monica, for all that she is a world-class athlete, does not have one iota of musicality in her. Some people don't. I don't think it can be taught, you have to have some scrap already in you to build on and so far....

There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I'd have to agree with what some have already said-send poor Monica home. She looks so uncomfortable being there. Seems like a nice girl, but just isn't cut out for this and doesn't even act like she wants to do it.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;2867510;
    I'd have to agree with what some have already said-send poor Monica home. She looks so uncomfortable being there. Seems like a nice girl, but just isn't cut out for this and doesn't even act like she wants to do it.
    I agree that she looks very uncomfortable with the whole thing, but disagree that she looks like she doesn't want to do it. I think that the nervousness and fear we see in her comes from her wanting to be so much better than she knows she is. Unlike some other stars who see doing the show as a way to jump start a career or rehab a bad public image (Steve Guttenberg or Heather Mills) Monica doesn't need to get anything from the show, so there's no reason for her to be there if she doesn't want to be. Doing the show is not going to make her younger and more competitive in the tennis world. She said that she agreed to do the show because it was an opportunity for her to be girly which she'd never had before. I believe her. I think she was hoping that she could be one of the ones who is transformed, knows that she's not, and now she's dealing with the nerves / dissapointment of trying to give it her best and not be publicly humiliated.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2867606;
    Unlike some other stars who see doing the show as a way to jump start a career or rehab a bad public image (Steve Guttenberg or Heather Mills) Monica doesn't need to get anything from the show, so there's no reason for her to be there if she doesn't want to be.
    Fortunately, Steve doesn't fall into that category, as he's an extremely busy man for many years now in his career (he acts continually, though Broadway is his primary interest, as well as directs, produces, writes (including screenwriting), for Broadway, tv, and movies), plus he's extremely active in many charity organizations that he has founded, and in others that he has been asked to represent. He also has several successful businesses that he oversees. Steve definately isn't trying to jump start a career, because he never lost it, just moved into other areas on top of the acting which he's never ceased to do (his most recent movie will be out later this year). As he's said in many interviews, he's doing the show because he is a true fan (as he's said during past seasons as well), and when he was asked, he jumped at the chance. Sure, DWtS will give him exposure to people who might not be familiar with his work already, but that's an added bonus, not something he needs to do for his career.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

I totally agre Nemesis, Steve isn't trying to jump start his career, as it doesn't need it. He's doing well, but it will bring pubicity to his charitable causes which is a great thing! I think he is honestly and totally a Pollyana about DWTS. I just hope the judges and fans keep him around for a few more weeks.

Unfortunately, Monica won't be around. At least we will see her at the finale. I do think they made her up beautifully. I didn't realize just how tall she was until last night when she was standing next to Penn and Kym! She looked beautiful in the gold dress.
    Tahoe bound....

Well, I hope Monica came away from her experience more confident in her girly side, since she said she was enjoying all the girly stuff and finding a whole new side of her that she didn't know was there before. She really was looking good when made up in the hair and makeup, and she seemed to enjoy the beautiful dresses she wore. As she said, she was always too busy with tennis to enjoy things like her prom and other girl stuff, so I'm happy for her that she's enjoying these things now, and I hope she continues to enjoy this rediscovered part of herself. She may not be a typical beauty, features-wise, but she is still a beautiful woman, no matter what. It comes from the inside, and Monica has it in spades. I'm sure she's disappointed in being the first female to go, and even though her dancing wasn't very good, I do think she would have improved if she'd stayed longer. So yes, I'll miss her, in spite of her lower dance ability.

And I'm definately going to miss Jonathan, that sweetheart! And I thought it was so sweet at the end of last night's elimination show, when the 2 eliminated teams were doing their final dance, to see Anna in the background wiping some tears away as she watched Jonathan. I don't normally like Anna that much, but it was very sweet to see her tears for her eliminated husband.

It's okay, Anna, it always brings a tear to my eye when he's eliminated, too.

Best wishes to Monica, and I hope she continues to enjoy this new side of her life. And to Jonathan.... always the best, and I can't wait til I get to see him again in a pro number this season!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast