+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Marlee Matlin & Fabian Sanchez - Season 6

Re: Marlee Matlin & Fabian Sanchez - Season 6

I couldn't help noticing how great Marlee looked last night. She has become toned and very fit through the course of this show. She just seems to have a healthy glow about her.

I think she has really added a lot to the show this year. I fear she may have reached the top of her potential. I would like to see her stay, but she has to do it with performances that stack up well against others who don't have her handicap. That is a very difficult task. If she does go tonight I will miss her very much - she is such a dynamic performer, timing miscues or not.

Yes, Marlee looks wonderful. I get tired of the judges telling her she's an inspiration. True, but it sounds so hackneyed.

I think DancingDad and tango7 sum it all up perfectly about Marlee being in DWTS... I'd easily said that but you both already said that. She's a wonderful addition to the DWTS however the competition is getting tough... it's better for her to go when it's time to go.

Well Done to her for trying and thanks for making it enjoyable to watch (although it was painful watching her TRYING in the last 2 dances.)
    :Hands Waving (Deaf Applause)
    Huh? Oh, you talkin' to me? Sorry, I didn't hear you.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by tango7;2938674;
    Yes, Marlee looks wonderful. I get tired of the judges telling her she's an inspiration. True, but it sounds so hackneyed.
    It's also patronizing. And Samatha does it to her as well.

If it was done to any of the other contestants, it would get a lot of feedback.

"Jason, for a big old oaf of a football player, you dance really well and are SUCH an inspiration" would not fly IMO.

I think they made way too big of a deal of her deafness. And even having that handicap and doing so very well, she never lost her cool and remained gracious and pleasant when she was judged. Other contestants could take a few lessons from her.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Au Revior Marlee. I really will miss you. Thank you for your energy and for your positive attitude throughout the show. I'm sure your efforts have inspired many people, handicapped or not, to try new things that they didn't think they could do. I have seen articles about these people cropping up on the internet already. They cite you as their inspiration. Good luck with your future endeavors. I hope you keep "dancing through life".

DD

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

Too bad some of the others in this competition couldn't show just a little of the composure and class that Marlee displayed during her time on the show.

Thank you Marlee for being the classy lady! You have shown the world that being hearing impaired doesn't limit what you can accomplish. We'll miss you, but will see you at the finale!
    Tahoe bound....

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2940475;
    It's also patronizing. And Samatha does it to her as well.

If it was done to any of the other contestants, it would get a lot of feedback.

"Jason, for a big old oaf of a football player, you dance really well and are SUCH an inspiration" would not fly IMO.

I think they made way too big of a deal of her deafness. And even having that handicap and doing so very well, she never lost her cool and remained gracious and pleasant when she was judged. Other contestants could take a few lessons from her.
    They did make a big deal out of it. She's Deaf, not stupid. Just like anyone else, she can easily learn the 1, 3's of the steps of each dance. What took courage was standing infront of millions of people knowing she was going to have problems keeping up. That has nothing to do with hearing or the lack of it. There have been plenty of others that did the same thing-Wayne Newton, BRC etc. Her being positive also had nothing to do with lack of hearing either, that was her personality. Some people have a positive outlook. Others are negative. We've seen both on this show before

I do like her and glad she gave it a shot but I personally don't find it inspirational. But then, I'm Deaf as well and know that it was never a big deal to begin with. Sure it will be harder for her not hearing the music but she was never incapable of dancing to begin with. It's hard for people that are in their 60s that go on this show to keep up. It doesn't make them any more of an inspiration for trying anyway
    Last edited by niteowl64; 04-23-2008 at 02:29 PM.

FORT Fan

I probably shouldn't argue with niteowl, but if you can't hear the music you're missing a HUGE amount of cues and clues. I was noticing in myself when i go folkdancing how totally i depend on the music to remember the steps. Often I feel that my brain isn't involved at all: my muscle memory is plugged straight into the music.

I was also wondering/admiring about Marlee's close friendships in the hearing world. I have read that it takes a lot of effort to keep connected to people who practically speak a different language than you do. It's a lot easier to just live mostly in the deaf community. She obviously makes a huge effort, since she has so many close hearing friends, apparently, and I wonder how many of them have learned sign language.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by weary;2942238;
    I probably shouldn't argue with niteowl, but if you can't hear the music you're missing a HUGE amount of cues and clues. I was noticing in myself when i go folkdancing how totally i depend on the music to remember the steps. Often I feel that my brain isn't involved at all: my muscle memory is plugged straight into the music.

I was also wondering/admiring about Marlee's close friendships in the hearing world. I have read that it takes a lot of effort to keep connected to people who practically speak a different language than you do. It's a lot easier to just live mostly in the deaf community. She obviously makes a huge effort, since she has so many close hearing friends, apparently, and I wonder how many of them have learned sign language.
    I know exactly what I am missing. Had 29 years of perfect hearing and 14 years of profound deafness. I agree, It's the clues (or lack of) that effect the timing. The other stuff doesn't have anything to do with hearing though

Learning the steps to each dance (for this show) requires a fast learner and a good memory. Some have great recall, some don't. Being a half way decent dancer requires a certain amount of inner rhythm. Some people have it, some don't. The music gives clues to get in sync with her partner. That was the obstacle. Not everyone needs to hear the music to recall the steps. Not everyone that hears the music has rhythm.(See Billy Ray Cryrus on both counts).
    Last edited by niteowl64; 04-23-2008 at 10:25 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast