+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Mario & Karina Smirnoff - Season 6

Re: Mario & Karina Smirnoff - Season 6

Mario seems to have gotten an attitude adjustment this week. Some of that chip seems to be gone off his shoulder. it showed in his performance too. This was his best outing since the early shows. he may have just pulled himself back into contention.

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

I know a lot of folks think Mario is cocky, but I actually kind of like his attitude. In last night's clip he seemed to realize that if he wants to get the judges and voters behind him, he needs to work harder. I thought his dance was really good last night - definitely deserving of the 27 he was awarded.

I actually like Karina more this season as well. From the very first night, I've thought she seemed a little softer and less obnoxious. But that's probably just me.

This kid did great - loved it and he definitely deserved the scores. I didn't care for him at first, but he had toned down the arrogance, realized that he doesn't know everything, and wants to learn. It is a good thing that he got Miss "No Nonsense Tell It Like It Is" Karina. She likely doesn't put up with any smart alecky stuff from a youngster like this.

Funny, just this week I was going to say it seems like they've upped the arrogance. Maybe it was just Karina's scowl that made it appear that way, but they certainly looked like they thought pretty highly of themselves this week.

FORT Newbie

I actually don't get the arrogant vibe from Mario that some people have referred to. I do think he is confident and that his confidence and the way he carries himself is based on his background (being a child of an addict) and the fact that he made his first R&B album when he was about 14/15. He is still, though, quite young but in my opinion he has handled himself well on DWTS. He has not sniveled or complained for the most part about the judges comments (although those much older than him have, namely Marissa & Shannon). Instead he has tried to take the criticism and apply it to his next performance. Indeed I think that the judges, mostly Len, are quite harsh on him. I can't believe that they gave Jason nines for his Paso Doble this week, when he basically looked like a lumbering or should I say "posing" Frankenstein (not in his looks but with his stiffness). Out of all the male dancers, Mario has the most natural dance ability, seems to master most of the dance steps and is definitely more than a prop for his partner. In fact, at times he has even led his dance partner in their dances. Yes, there are things he needs to work on, but given his dancing skills and his performances thus far, he should definitely be in the top three. I hope more people (judges and fans) start to appreciate him more. Seeing how empty his thread was compared to the others I felt compelled to rejoin this forum and share my views on him, as he seems to be overlooked. Luckily others are talking about this and him on other forums, such as TWOP.

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

I agree with your assessment of Mario and his abilities. I find him to be personable, intense and serious about what he's doing. It's too bad that he was paired with Karina, as she has enough detractors to make it difficult for a good partner to succeed. The fact that he is a confident young man leads people to think that he is like Karina, who many find arrogant. Let's hope he sticks around. I find his attitude and his dancing (for the most part) enjoyable.

I actually like his attitude a lot more in the last few weeks. Prior to that he seemed to think that he didn't need to work hard in order to perform well. I think now he realizes that this is a tougher competition that he anticipated. He may have also looked at some of the re-plays of the show and seen how his persona was coming across to the audience. Whatever happened, it has been a change for the better. If he continues his work ethic and his current demenor I think he is a contender. I have liked watching him much more the last couple of outings.

I love watching him, and I think he moves quite gracefully, so I was surprised when Len said, "Let's face it, you're not the most elegant dancer" or something like that.

Can someone who knows ballroom dance explain to me what is so wrong with him? To my untrained eye his Fox Trot or Quickstep (I forget which it was this week) looked pretty good.

He certainly did more complex footwork than Jason who moves fairly gracefully from pose to pose but usually doesn't do much challenging footwork (although he did more this week, as I recall).
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

FORT Newbie

I'm saddened by Mario's elimination. I think he did a great job on the Foxtrot and deserved at least one score of 10 for his performance. And what was up with Len's backhanded compliment? He couldn't just say, "Great job on your Foxtrot. You have improved a lot Mario." Noooooo, he also had to add something negative. Overall the judges' treatment of Mario has turned me off of DWTS and I won't be watching in the future. Of course, I do realize, the judges' shabby treatment aside, that Mario's demise was ultimately caused by low fan support. Even now a full day after his elimination, no one, except for me, has posted to his thread discussing his exit from the show. And what an exit it was! Not only did he thank the judges but he also acknowledged our troops in Iraq, many of whom are his age. Indeed, he exited the show with a huge smile on his face and with a lot of class. WAY TO GO MARIO!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HookedonANTM;2976862;
    I'm saddened by Mario's elimination. I think he did a great job on the Foxtrot and deserved at least one score of 10 for his performance. And what was up with Len's backhanded compliment? He couldn't just say, "Great job on your Foxtrot. You have improved a lot Mario." Noooooo, he also had to add something negative. Overall the judges' treatment of Mario has turned me off of DWTS and I won't be watching in the future. Of course, I do realize, the judges' shabby treatment aside, that Mario's demise was ultimately caused by low fan support. Even now a full day after his elimination, no one, except for me, has posted to his thread discussing his exit from the show. And what an exit it was! Not only did he thank the judges but he also acknowledged our troops in Iraq, many of whom are his age. Indeed, he exited the show with a huge smile on his face and with a lot of class. WAY TO GO MARIO!!!!!!!!
    I think that a lot of that is due to the fact that the individual threads are locked until the next day, so most of the comments are probably in the show discussion thread. I certainly was not happy to see him eliminated, but to come a day later to comment on it is more trouble than I'm willing to go to for any of the celebs. I came here when I saw that there was a comment, and now that I'm here, I certainly second everything that you've said.

He was fun to watch, and I thought Len was pretty unfair (and extremely rude) in his criticisms of Mario.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast