+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Adam Carolla & Julianne Hough - Season 6

Re: Adam Carolla & Julianne Hough - Season 6

Quote Originally Posted by schmoo2;2873642;
    ... it isn't callilng someone a name, it is more of a knee jerk reaction to seeing a low score. I think he just blurted it out - not thinking (which I feel he does have a bit of a problem with)
    I think you probably are right, schmoo2, that he just blurted it out, not thinking. I think probably most people would agree with that, in fact. Actually, I think that's a much more believable scenario than him doing it on purpose as a joke, because it's hard to believe that even he thought it would be appropriate (otherwise he wouldn't be trying to do damage control afterwards). It was still inappropriate, and the result was still name-calling, and he still needs to learn some self-control, but I do think you're right in why he said it.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Quote Originally Posted by ness;2873648;
    Just apologize, sincerely and profusely, and move on.

JMHO.
    I think if he had apologized later, after he was either told he was wrong, or after he figured it out himself, then probably he would have been given some credit for that. He obviously does know now that it was wrong to use the word he did in that venue, but not apologizing makes him look like exactly what he's being called... a pig. People can usually forgive a mistake if the person takes responsibility and apologizes. There's no way what he did would ever be considered appropriate, but he had a chance to make things better, but he wasn't adult or man enough to take that opportunity.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses;2873732;
    I think if he had apologized later, after he was either told he was wrong, or after he figured it out himself, then probably he would have been given some credit for that. He obviously does know now that it was wrong to use the word he did in that venue, but not apologizing makes him look like exactly what he's being called... a pig. People can usually forgive a mistake if the person takes responsibility and apologizes. There's no way what he did would ever be considered appropriate, but he had a chance to make things better, but he wasn't adult or man enough to take that opportunity.

Everybody makes mistakes. It takes guts and backbone to admit you're wrong, then apologize for whatever it was that you did/said.

Unfortunately, Adam apparently hasn't evolved that far, yet.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ness;2873648;
    MHO . . .

Joking?

OK.

Let's say he WAS joking. Let's say he was NOT unhappy wth his scores.

But . . .

Vulgar name-calling (explained away in the name of joking) simply is NOT necessary.

If, indeed, he WAS joking, it sure did look to me like he was doing an almighty lot of backpedaling and damage control later on.

I mean, if you said it, you said it. And if you think you were right or OK in what you said, then so be it. Why try to sugarcoat what you said with self-deprecating remarks that Steve Wonder could probably see through, later on?

Why try to manufacture excuses for a HUGE mistake that you didn't realize would be a mistake until after a blowup?

Just apologize, sincerely and profusely, and move on.

JMHO.

He has been self-depricating from the get go. One of his first comments on the show was about how Julianne lost the lottery this year. His being self-depricating this week wasn't damage control. IT was a continuation of the same schtick he's been doing all along.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses;2873704;
    Once again.... it comes back to appropriateness and demographics. All of those shows you mentioned have different target and sitting demos than DWtS. And that , along with the circumstances, makes a difference.
    The key demo for each of those shows is 18-49. Most of those shows (if not all) have aired in the 8PM "family" hour. There is not nearly enough of a significant difference to dismiss the comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2873807;
    He has been self-depricating from the get go. One of his first comments on the show was about how Julianne lost the lottery this year. His being self-depricating this week wasn't damage control. IT was a continuation of the same schtick he's been doing all along.
    Uh-huh.

YHO.

"In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Yes, he specifically went into damage control mode with his lame "I was really talking to Mitch" schtick on his next dance.

The key demo for each of those shows is 18-49. Most of those shows (if not all) have aired in the 8PM "family" hour. There is not nearly enough of a significant difference to dismiss the comparison.
    On the contrary, there is a clear difference in the sitting (as I mentioned earlier) demo, as well as the target demo, which begins with the 12-year old market. DWtS consistently scores highest in the Adults 18-49 category, but don't mistake that for being the only demo category they target. They are also targeting the Teens 12-17 category, which is one of the reasons they brought in the Cheetah girl last season, and why you'll now see them consistently bringing in younger celebs, such as Mario. They have not yet succeeded as high in that 12-17 category as the 18-49 category yet, but make no mistake that they are actively targeting that demo, and will continue to as that market continues to score high in the spending demos. None of the shows you mentioned actively targetted that 12-17 year old category, as DWtS does. What viewers they did get from that age were coincidental (and welcome), but not targetted.

This is the reason foul language is not appropriate on DWtS, unless you think kids beginning at age 12 should be exposed to that on tv... and I do not. There is also such a thing as 'reasonable expectation' when families choose what to watch or allow their kids what to watch. It is a reasonable expectation that DWtS will not have foul language, violence, or sexual content on the show. Until someone like Adam Carolla came on it, that is.
    Last edited by Nemeses; 03-27-2008 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses;2874016;
    Yes, he specifically went into damage control mode with his lame "I was really talking to Mitch" schtick on his next dance.
    Oh, yeah!

"Bitch" DID kind of handily morph into "Mitch" after the fur started flying, didn't it?

Guess Adam the Pig got stuck in his schtick!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses;2874016;

On the contrary, there is a clear difference in the sitting (as I mentioned earlier) demo, as well as the target demo, which begins with the 12-year old market. DWtS consistently scores highest in the Adults 18-49 category, but don't mistake that for being the only demo category they target. They are also targeting the Teens 12-17 category, which is one of the reasons they brought in the Cheetah girl last season, and why you'll now see them consistently bringing in younger celebs, such as Mario. They have not yet succeeded as high in that 12-17 category as the 18-49 category yet, but make no mistake that they are actively targeting that demo, and will continue to as that market continues to score high in the spending demos. None of the shows you mentioned actively targetted that 12-17 year old category, as DWtS does. What viewers they did get from that age were coincidental (and welcome), but not targetted.

This is the reason foul language is not appropriate on DWtS, unless you think kids beginning at age 12 should be exposed to that on tv... and I do not. There is also such a thing as 'reasonable expectation' when families choose what to watch or allow their kids what to watch. It is a reasonable expectation that DWtS will not have foul language, violence, or sexual content on the show. Until someone like Adam Carolla came on it, that is.

I will agree that some of hte shows on that list - Grey's, DH, etc - don't target the 12-17 audience as a secondary demo. However, others shows on that list, including Friends and Everybody Loves Raymond, most certainly do. You'll be hard pressed to find a show run in syndication in the early fringe and prime access hours that does not target on either a primary or secondary level the 12-17 age range. That demo represents one of the highest viewing levels in those hours.

I respect that you don't believe that language is appropriate. However, I get the impression that you're trying to force your standard on everyone else, and I'm not a big fan of that. I believe in leaving the networks free to make content decisions for themselves, and letting the audience be free to make viewing decisions based on whether or not they agree with the networks choices.

Quote Originally Posted by ness;2874034;
    Oh, yeah!

"Bitch" DID kind of handily morph into "Mitch" after the fur started flying, didn't it?

Guess Adam the Pig got stuck in his schtick!

Or knew how to get the ball rolling to ensure that he'd be one of the celebrities on the show getting the attention instead of fading into the background.

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses;2873405;
    Firstly, I've never seen LoveLine or heard of it, although I assume it's some kind of tv show?
    Originally, Loveline was a radio show that featured a doctor and a comedian who took calls on the air regarding relationships, sex, etc. Adam Carolla was on until 2006.

There was also a TV take-off on for a few years, but I don't believe Adam had anything to do with that. Could be wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by ness;2868223;

TVDude . . .

Why . . . Oh WHY couldn't you have left Julianne OUT of it?

If you HAD, I might've at least had a fighting chance with my "Get Rid of Carolla!" campaign!

I'd be on the Corolla OUT campaign too if Julianne wasn't his partner. To me her greatness outweighs his crappiness. I just LOVE watching her dance so much and she's gorgeous and even though some people find her personality grating, I find it endearing and sweet. DWTS is pretty much the only place to see her consistently so yeah I'd like her to stay till the end of every season if that were possible. I wouldn't care if her partner was Master P 10x in suckiness, I'd still enjoy watching her dance.

Also I don't know what all the hub bub is about Adam saying bitch. To me it looked like he was joking around and while I was surprised to hear it, its not like its a huge deal, at least to me.

So let's everyone get on the Julianne and Adam bandwagon and ride it all the way to the end.

+ Reply to Thread