+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Adam Carolla & Julianne Hough - Season 6

Re: Adam Carolla & Julianne Hough - Season 6

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2873557;
    This was not an example of a star being unhappy with their scores. And again, saying those words is not only acceptable for an MTV audience. It has been deemed acceptable by the FCC and the networks to air on ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, and CW. Don't forget -- ABC did not bleep it, nor did they edit it out for the west coast feed.
    On the contrary, Floyd was very unhappy with his scores. I can remember commenting on that during his season.

His exact words after one low-scoring session: "The judges better start giving me better scores" (emphasized with finger-punching the air)

Later, after elimination, when Jimmy Kimmel mentioned that comment to Floyd when he appeared on the show, Floyd did not disagree that he said it, though he had a better attitude about what he'd said now that he was off the show. He also verified he was upset with the judges about the scores:

Jimmy Kimmel to Floyd: "You got a little bit mad and said the judges better start giving you better scores."
    Floyd: "I was just upset, but you live and you learn"

And once again....

Allowed is not the same as appropriate, and acceptable by the FCC is not the same as appropriate. There are a great many things in this world that are allowed, but that doesn't make them appropriate to any and all occasions. Again, we have that old diminishing trait called common sense, and that equally diminishing trait called maturity and responsibility. I realize Adam doesn't seem to possess these traits, but that doesn't mean they no longer exist.
    Last edited by Nemeses; 03-27-2008 at 03:46 PM.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2873437;
    Again, it is a matter of interpretation and personal preference. I do not believe for a second that Adam did not get scores he wanted, or thought they were unfair scores. I base that on the number of self-depricating comments he's made with regards to his dancing. He knows hes bad, he knows he deserves low scores, and he accepts that. So I don't think he resorted to back-alley name calling because he didn't get what he wanted. I think he cracked a joke in an attempt to entertain the audience. And he DID entertain some of the audience.

And at the end of the day, if I have to choose between the behavior of pouting, whining and cutting down others, or cracking an FCC-approved expletive as a matter of bad behavior, I'd take the FCC-approved expletive everytime as the better behavior.
    All of the above is YHO (i.e., Your Humble Opinion), and you're entitled to it.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

I don't know, perhaps it wasn't edited out because they wanted to show Adam up for what he is. Appropriate or inappropriate, you don't call a judge a name like that unless you are looking to enhance your image with your particular fan base.

After all, a baseball player can be thrown out of a game for calling an umpire names even when nobody else can hear it.

I want him gone, but mostly because he can't dance.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2873557;
    This was not an example of a star being unhappy with their scores. And again, saying those words is not only acceptable for an MTV audience. It has been deemed acceptable by the FCC and the networks to air on ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, and CW. Don't forget -- ABC did not bleep it, nor did they edit it out for the west coast feed.
    Being unhappy with their scores/judges comments is pretty much the same thing in my book. You don't get good remarks from a judge, you aren't going to get a good score (and good one remembering Master P. Nemeses-or as my grandma still calls him Mr. P ) Frankly, I could care less what the FCC says is acceptable. Just because they think that word is okay to air on TV doesn't mean everyone has to be okay with it. I think there's too much sex and trash talk on TV nowadays anyway (and I am part of the younger generation that they try and sell that crap to but give me good old wholesome TV). It's why I spend most of my time watching re-runs on Nick at Nite, TV Land, and Lifetime. That stuff used to only be reserved for the MTV/HBO/cable crowd. My opinion, I don't think it was acceptable and I especially don't think it was appropriate to direct at a judge because you didn't like their score, joking or not. I don't care if the rules say it was okay for TV, and I'd hate to think Adam would resort to using any language that would need to get bleeped. But hey, ABC deserves what they get for putting him on in the first place.

Moving on, if Julianne's fan base is the only thing keeping these 2 in it hopefully they don't want her associated with him any longer than she has to be and won't vote for them. They got rid of 2 of the worst dancers last week, so hopefully Adam can follow Penn/Kym out to the parking lot to perform.
    Last edited by karalott; 03-27-2008 at 03:50 PM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses;2873577;
    On the contrary, Floyd was very unhappy with his scores. I can remember commenting on that during his season.

His exact words after one low-scoring session: "The judges better start giving me better scores" (emphasized with finger-punching the air)

Later, after elimination, when Jimmy Kimmel mentioned that comment to Floyd when he appeared on the show, Floyd did not disagree that he said it, though he had a better attitude about what he'd said now that he was off the show. He also verified he was upset with the judges about the scores:

Jimmy Kimmel to Floyd: "You got a little bit mad and said the judges better start giving you better scores."
    Floyd: "I was just upset, but you live and you learn"

And once again....

Allowed is not the same as appropriate, and acceptable by the FCC is not the same as appropriate. There are a great many things in this world that are allowed, but that doesn't make them appropriate to any and all occasions. Again, we have that old diminishing trait called common sense, and that equally diminishing trait called maturity and responsibility. I realize Adam doesn't seem to possess these traits, but that doesn't mean they no longer exist.

Yes, Floyd was unhappy with his scores. Billy Ray was unhappy with some of his scores / comments. That's not what i was talking about. I was saying that Adam was not unhappy with his scores. He wasn't unhappy with the comments. He knew he deserved them. He was joking.

Quote Originally Posted by ness;2873583;
    All of the above is YHO (i.e., Your Humble Opinion), and you're entitled to it.
    As is the case with everyone participating in this discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2873612;
    I was saying that Adam was not unhappy with his scores. He wasn't unhappy with the comments. He knew he deserved them. He was joking.
    Oh, I see... so he just goes around calling someone who gives those scores a bitch because he thinks he's funny? I see.

So I guess that brings us back to his being a child.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses;2873628;
    Oh, I see... so he just goes around calling someone who gives those scores a bitch because he thinks he's funny? I see.

So I guess that brings us back to his being a child.
    I guess it does if we live in a world filled with children. They write for Friends, Seinfeld, Grey's Anatomy, Desperate Housewives, Everybody Loves Raymond, Two and a Half Men, and a host of other hit shows, along with many other forms of entertainment.

I really feel he was not directing it towards the judge. I know people who use that B-word interchangeably with the D-word/S-word just as a reactionary response. it isn't callilng someone a name, it is more of a knee jerk reaction to seeing a low score. I think he just blurted it out - not thinking (which I feel he does have a bit of a problem with)

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2873612;
    Yes, Floyd was unhappy with his scores. Billy Ray was unhappy with some of his scores / comments. That's not what i was talking about. I was saying that Adam was not unhappy with his scores. He knew he deserved them. He was joking.
    MHO . . .

Joking?

OK.

Let's say he WAS joking. Let's say he was NOT unhappy wth his scores.

But . . .

Vulgar name-calling (explained away in the name of joking) simply is NOT necessary.

If, indeed, he WAS joking, it sure did look to me like he was doing an almighty lot of backpedaling and damage control later on.

I mean, if you said it, you said it. And if you think you were right or OK in what you said, then so be it. Why try to sugarcoat what you said with self-deprecating remarks that Steve Wonder could probably see through, later on?

Why try to manufacture excuses for a HUGE mistake that you didn't realize would be a mistake until after a blowup?

Just apologize, sincerely and profusely, and move on.

JMHO.
    Last edited by ness; 03-27-2008 at 04:20 PM.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2873636;
    I guess it does if we live in a world filled with children. They write for Friends, Seinfeld, Grey's Anatomy, Desperate Housewives, Everybody Loves Raymond, Two and a Half Men, and a host of other hit shows, along with many other forms of entertainment.
    Once again.... it comes back to appropriateness and demographics. All of those shows you mentioned have different target and sitting demos than DWtS. And that , along with the circumstances, makes a difference.

+ Reply to Thread