+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Adam Carolla & Julianne Hough - Season 6

FORT Fogey

Re: Adam Carolla & Julianne Hough - Season 6

Quote Originally Posted by ness;2873357;
    Anybody recall last season when Carrie Ann dinged Jane Seymour and Tony Dovolani for what Carrie Ann said was an illegal lift during a waltz they were doing?

The roof was nearly blown off the ballroom.

Jane and Tony --- of course --- disagreed with Carrie Ann's call, and made absolutely no bones about saying so.

Did they refer to her as a bitch?

No.

Did they refer to her as any other ugly name, cast aspersions on her parentage, say she resembled a sea creature with makeup and jewels, or anything else?

No.

Did Carrie Ann back down on her call?

No.

Did Jane, Tony and/or pretty much everyone else in the free world back down on theirs?

No.

Fast forward to THIS season . . .

Adam gets what he feels (apparently) is a low/unfair score from Carrie Ann.

How does HE respond?

We ALL know the answer to that.

JMHO, but, to me, the two situations illustrate the difference between being an adult, and being a child with no sense of decorum and/or common sense trapped in a chronological adult's body.

Are you referring to the incident that Jane Seymour was pouting about in interviews for a few weeks after the actual incident occured? The same woman who made all sorts of snide comments about other competitors, declaring herself better than most of them? Compared to a comedian making a remark for comedy's sake that was found funny by some, unfunny by others? The guy who readily admits he's not good, told his partner that the bright side is that she'll be able to promote her album sooner, because he's realistic enough to know that he's not very good and getting scores he deserves?

Reviewing it that way, I'd agree with you that it is the difference between being an adult, and behild a child with no sense of decorum and/or common sense trapped in a chronological adult's body. I'm identifying Adam as the adult and Jane as the one with no sense of decorum. Are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2872997;
    But if it is done a show like LoveLine, its okay? That is the part i don't understand. I can appreciate that humor is relative, and not everyone finds the same thing funny. I just don't understand why you'll concede that Adam's brand of humor is fine in some places (meaning that it would be okay to call someone a bitch unscripted ... because he has on the shows that are all about his brand of humor) but not in others. It seems like a double standard to me, which is what I don't understand.
    Firstly, I've never seen LoveLine or heard of it, although I assume it's some kind of tv show?

There is no double standard involved, not even in the smallest sense. As I've said, allowed is not the same thing as appropriate. Appropriateness depends on the situation, and sorry, but no matter how hard one tries to make it so, DWtS's demographic is not an appropriate place for him or anyone else to call a co-contestant an obscene name. And yes, that word is still considered obscene by many, and certainly isn't acceptible for children to be hearing. Perhaps one day, if the world continues the way it's going now, where songs encouraging rape, crime, obscenity, degrading of women, narcissism, and self-entitlement, among other things become hit songs that set behavioural norms for youth growing up today... in this world, perhaps it will become okay to call obscene names on a show like DWtS. But that day has not yet come, and I pray it never does. Of course, in that kind of world, I doubt a show like DWtS would have a chance.

No, it was inappropriate to use on this show, and there is no double standard about it, there is no hypocrisy about it, there is no getting around it.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Quote Originally Posted by ness;2873357;
    JMHO, but, to me, the two situations illustrate the difference between being an adult, and being a child with no sense of decorum and/or common sense trapped in a chronological adult's body.
    All good points, ness. And your final paragraph sums it up very well.

And thank you, kara
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2873388;
    Are you referring to the incident that Jane Seymour was pouting about in interviews for a few weeks after the actual incident occured? The same woman who made all sorts of snide comments about other competitors, declaring herself better than most of them? Compared to a comedian making a remark for comedy's sake that was found funny by some, unfunny by others? The guy who readily admits he's not good, told his partner that the bright side is that she'll be able to promote her album sooner, because he's realistic enough to know that he's not very good and getting scores he deserves?

Reviewing it that way, I'd agree with you that it is the difference between being an adult, and behild a child with no sense of decorum and/or common sense trapped in a chronological adult's body. I'm identifying Adam as the adult and Jane as the one with no sense of decorum. Are you?
    No, Veruka, I'm not.

My post only goes to illustrate that when you don't get what you want, don't get your way, it is totally NOT necessary or warranted to result to vulgar, back-alley name-calling.

However you want to call it, pouting, whatever, as far as I can recall, neither Jane OR Tony called Carrie Ann a vulgar expletive.

Sure, the controversy about that went on for awhile, and being honest about it, yes, Jane could be found guilty as regards spinning it out. BUT she did NOT resort to personal, vulgar, name-calling against a judge, as far as I can recall.

Again, JMHO, I'll take Jane's route for how she chose to handle what she deemed to be an unfair call over Adam's, any day.

MHO, and we're all entitled to them.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2873388;

Really? I guess we watched two different DWtS seasons, because not once did I see or hear Jane Seymour say she was better than anyone. Not even up until this day have I ever heard her say that or even allude to it. As for the 'pouting', although I wouldn't go as far as to call it that, yes I agree she was upset about it, as ness readily admitted, as everyone knows. And yes, she did do what Carrie Ann said she did. But the difference, as ness pointed out, was that she didn't resort to using foul language on the show, unlike the pig who apparently doesn't realize he has an 'Off' switch for his mouth. There's not a thing wrong with being upset about a score on the show, or about thinking you were accused of something you don't think you deserved, or for any number of things. Heck, every season has had more than one celeb upset for one reason or another, and sometimes it was justified, sometimes it wasn't, but it's expected every season. The difference is how you handle that emotion, and Adam is the only one who's resorted to foul language. That is the difference, and that is why Adam has some growing up to do before he can be considered a responsible adult.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ness;2873415;
    No, Veruka, I'm not.

My post only goes to illustrate that when you don't get what you want, don't get your way, it is totally NOT necessary or warranted to result to vulgar, back-alley name-calling.

However you want to call it, pouting, whatever, as far as I can recall, neither Jane OR Tony called Carrie Ann a vulgar expletive.

Sure, the controversy about that went on for awhile, and being honest about it, yes, Jane could be found guilty as regards spinning it out. BUT she did NOT resort to personal, vulgar, name-calling against a judge, as far as I can recall.

Again, JMHO, I'll take Jane's route for how she chose to handle what she deemed to be an unfair call over Adam's, any day.

MHO, and we're all entitled to them.
    Again, it is a matter of interpretation and personal preference. I do not believe for a second that Adam did not get scores he wanted, or thought they were unfair scores. I base that on the number of self-depricating comments he's made with regards to his dancing. He knows hes bad, he knows he deserves low scores, and he accepts that. So I don't think he resorted to back-alley name calling because he didn't get what he wanted. I think he cracked a joke in an attempt to entertain the audience. And he DID entertain some of the audience.

And at the end of the day, if I have to choose between the behavior of pouting, whining and cutting down others, or cracking an FCC-approved expletive as a matter of bad behavior, I'd take the FCC-approved expletive everytime as the better behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses;2873430;
    Really? I guess we watched two different DWtS seasons, because not once did I see or hear Jane Seymour say she was better than anyone.
    The interviews I referred to were with media outlets - not with Samantha or Tom (or Drew when he was fililng in for Samantha).

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Very good points ness And you bring up the big difference between Jane and Adam; Jane felt it was an unfair call made and in her case I'd say she had every reason to pout and protest at the time. It looked like a lift, but it was Jane's feet on the ground so it obviously didn't feel like a lift to her. In fact, as you pointed out, many viewers were right there with her, thinking Carrie Ann made a bad call. It's not the first time a star has been unhappy with their scores or the judges comments (remember Billy Ray and Floyd?) but they didn't resort to name calling. Saying those words may be fine for the MTV audience, but cable and network are two different things.

Firstly, I've never seen LoveLine or heard of it, although I assume it's some kind of tv show?
    Used to be, though I never realized Adam was a part of it. But I never watched, either, I just remember Dr. Drew was on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2873437;
    Again, it is a matter of interpretation and personal preference. I do not believe for a second that Adam did not get scores he wanted, or thought they were unfair scores. I base that on the number of self-depricating comments he's made with regards to his dancing. He knows hes bad, he knows he deserves low scores, and he accepts that. So I don't think he resorted to back-alley name calling because he didn't get what he wanted. I think he cracked a joke in an attempt to entertain the audience. And he DID entertain some of the audience.
    That's probably true, because there's an audience for everything these days. However, no matter what his reason, it was still inappropriate.

And at the end of the day, if I have to choose between the behavior of pouting, whining and cutting down others, or cracking an FCC-approved expletive as a matter of bad behavior, I'd take the FCC-approved expletive everytime as the better behavior.
    Not me. Jane never cut anyone down, so this isn't referencing her, but I'll never take obscene immature public name-calling as an alternative to anything. Fortunately, most people, even celebs understand what is appropriate language and when. Adam obviously doesn't, and he's certainly not the only celeb who's an idiot, and won't be the last. But for me, given a choice between whining or obscene name-calling... I'll take whining over foul name-calling anytime.

The interviews I referred to were with media outlets - not with Samantha or Tom (or Drew when he was fililng in for Samantha).
    I'm not sure what you mean by that. If you mean in interviews with Jane from ABC, People, entertainment news online or magazines, etc..., again, since that is my business, I read those thoroughly, and especially when it involves my subjects or celebs I'm interested in, and not once have I ever seen or read anything where Jane said she was better than anyone, or cut any other celeb on the show down. Do you have some articles you could show us?

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;2873454;
    It's not the first time a star has been unhappy with their scores or the judges comments (remember Billy Ray and Floyd?) but they didn't resort to name calling.
    Remember how upset Master P got with the judges? Oy, I wondered at one point if he was going to say something inappropriate, but he didn't.

Good point, kara.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;2873454;
    It's not the first time a star has been unhappy with their scores or the judges comments (remember Billy Ray and Floyd?) but they didn't resort to name calling. Saying those words may be fine for the MTV audience, but cable and network are two different things.
    This was not an example of a star being unhappy with their scores. And again, saying those words is not only acceptable for an MTV audience. It has been deemed acceptable by the FCC and the networks to air on ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, and CW. Don't forget -- ABC did not bleep it, nor did they edit it out for the west coast feed.

+ Reply to Thread