+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Adam Carolla & Julianne Hough - Season 6

Re: Adam Carolla & Julianne Hough - Season 6

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2874341;
    I will agree that some of hte shows on that list - Grey's, DH, etc - don't target the 12-17 audience as a secondary demo. However, others shows on that list, including Friends and Everybody Loves Raymond, most certainly do. You'll be hard pressed to find a show run in syndication in the early fringe and prime access hours that does not target on either a primary or secondary level the 12-17 age range. That demo represents one of the highest viewing levels in those hours.
    Friends did not target the Teen 12-17 audience, it was not even listed in their demo paper, though the 18-34 disposable income demo was. Everybody Loves Raymond targetted the 18-34 disposable income audience as a primary, with the 18-49 audience as secondary target.

I respect that you don't believe that language is appropriate. However, I get the impression that you're trying to force your standard on everyone else, and I'm not a big fan of that.
    Indeed, nor am I a fan of anyone who does that. Which is why I haven't, nor do I intend to. Nor have I assumed that is what you are trying to do, since I understand that opinions may differ and having them and stating them is not akin to 'forcing standards' on anyone.

I do, however, believe that we are all equal here in having the same right to voice our opinions, even state what our own standards might be, and I believe that because something may be allowed, that doesn't make it appropriate in all situations. As has been pointed out so often, that's one of the differences between maturity and immaturity, being able to guage a situation and act appropriately, and this pig apparently hasn't made the transition yet. And just as networks are free to make content decisions for themselves, those same networks and their advertisers do rely on viewer feedback for future decisions. Only a really stupid network makes content decisions irregardless of what viewers tell them in feedback and surveys, and that is what we are all doing here. I give my feedback, you give your feedback, we're all allowed that privilege and because we state it does not mean any of us are forcing standards on anyone else. I am doing that no more than you are. What I am doing is the same as everyone else, and this is exercising my right to state my opposing opinion, just as you are.

You and I are both experienced enough in stating our opinions to know that because we emphatically state it does not mean we are attempting to 'force' it on anyone. And just as I respect your right to your opinion and don't think of it as you trying to 'force' your standard on me or anyone else, I would expect that you respect the same of me and anyone else who might hold a differing opinion. And I'm confident enough that you do that I don't take any offense.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Blues Songstres;2874470;
    Originally, Loveline was a radio show that featured a doctor and a comedian who took calls on the air regarding relationships, sex, etc. Adam Carolla was on until 2006.

There was also a TV take-off on for a few years, but I don't believe Adam had anything to do with that. Could be wrong though.
    Ah, thanks, Blues. I knew it sounded familiar, I think from hearing it mentioned in threads here probably, but couldn't quite place it. I'm guessing that's the Dr. Drew, or something like that, that was mentioned also?
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses;2874540;
    Friends did not target the Teen 12-17 audience, it was not even listed in their demo paper, though the 18-34 disposable income demo was. Everybody Loves Raymond targetted the 18-34 disposable income audience as a primary, with the 18-49 audience as secondary target.
    Can I send you the information I have sitting in one of my file drawers?

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2874547;
    Can I send you the information I have sitting in one of my file drawers?
    Absolutely.

FORT Fogey

PM me an address. This is going in circles, so this is the last I'll say on the subject. I think that you are underestimating the percentage of the DWTS audience who heard the comment and found it humorous. I believe that the reason it was brought back up again this week was to continue the joke. ABC had a chance to bleep it - they did not. ABC had a chance to edit it out of the west coast feed - they did not. Why? Because they considered it to be appropriate. They knew what kind of humor Adam would bring to the table when they cast him, and they found it appropriate to cast him. They've made a programming decision they deem appropriate. If you do not agree, I respect that. I simply believe that the best way to communicate that a program has gone to an inappropriate level is to turn it off -- not to demand that others cannot make their own choice that it is appropriate by removing the content and removing others ability to make their own choice.

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses;2874546;
    Ah, thanks, Blues. I knew it sounded familiar, I think from hearing it mentioned in threads here probably, but couldn't quite place it. I'm guessing that's the Dr. Drew, or something like that, that was mentioned also?
    Yep. That would be Dr. Drew.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2874579;
    PM me an address. This is going in circles, so this is the last I'll say on the subject. I think that you are underestimating the percentage of the DWTS audience who heard the comment and found it humorous. I believe that the reason it was brought back up again this week was to continue the joke. ABC had a chance to bleep it - they did not. ABC had a chance to edit it out of the west coast feed - they did not. Why? Because they considered it to be appropriate. They knew what kind of humor Adam would bring to the table when they cast him, and they found it appropriate to cast him. They've made a programming decision they deem appropriate. If you do not agree, I respect that. I simply believe that the best way to communicate that a program has gone to an inappropriate level is to turn it off -- not to demand that others cannot make their own choice that it is appropriate by removing the content and removing others ability to make their own choice.
    I may or may not be underestimating the number of people who found it humorous or who found it inappropriate. Just as you may or may not be underestimating the number of people who did find it inappropriate or not. That was never the point of my opinion on it, and in fact is actually irrelevant to the point I have been making. My point has always been that I did not find it humorous or appropriate, and that others did not as well and that the simple act of saying "it's a joke" doesn't change that. My other point has always been that just because something is allowed, that does not make it appropriate. I have yet to read any posts in here that have demanded anyone not watch DWtS, and anyone and everyone is well within their rights to state an opinion that they want to see any one of the celebs go, and for any reason at all. That is one of the reasons we're all in the DWtS threads, after all.

As for offering viewer opinions to the network, that goes part and parcel with viewership rights, and I dread a day that any viewer wouldn't feel free to let the networks know what they feel is appropriate or inappropriate. Fortunately, we don't have that problem in America because we do all feel free to voice our opinions, and we all know that voicing an opinion is not equal to stifling opinions of a differing nature, so that analogy does not apply.

Also, ABC not bleeping it because they found it appropriate is not something either you or I can know. I highly doubt they found it "appropriate", given the non-passive nature of that word, I think it's more likely they simply didn't find it on the disallowed list of words. And just because they cast him in the show, knowing his brand of 'humor' beforehand does not mean they gave him carte blanche to say anything he wants, or that they expected a supposedly grown man to use poor judgement on their show.

I can respect your right to think there was nothing wrong with someone calling a female co-castmate a foul name on the show. All I'm asking is that you respect my right to think there is something wrong with that.

(you can just use the email associated with my FoRT profile here, it's valid)

I think this is all a tempest in a teacup. "Bitch" is neither too inflammatory nor too offensive for primetime as evidenced by it's presence on numerous shows. On The Bachelor which runs right after DWTS on ABC, you can hear "bitch" on any given episode. Some people may be bothered by it, others not and that's pretty much it.

It's like with everything else. I was gagging every time the Osmonds were on screen last season, the whole sorry lot of them, while others worshiped the ground Marie and her skeevy brother walked on. To each his own. I'm more bothered by the crappy music and the lousy dancing some of these people do. Adam is a shock comedian. He'll say stuff to get a rise out of people, and I think it's working like a charm for him.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

Or knew how to get the ball rolling to ensure that he'd be one of the celebrities on the show getting the attention instead of fading into the background.
    Self-centered children like to get attention and go about getting it via any means --- fair or foul --- and at any cost, don't they?

Yep. Like I said . . .

He's a child with no sense of decorum and/or common sense who is trapped in a chronological adult's body.

"In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by TVDude;2874533;
    I'd be on the Corolla OUT campaign too if Julianne wasn't his partner. To me her greatness outweighs his crappiness. I just LOVE watching her dance so much and she's gorgeous and even though some people find her personality grating, I find it endearing and sweet. DWTS is pretty much the only place to see her consistently so yeah I'd like her to stay till the end of every season if that were possible. I wouldn't care if her partner was Master P 10x in suckiness, I'd still enjoy watching her dance.

Also I don't know what all the hub bub is about Adam saying bitch. To me it looked like he was joking around and while I was surprised to hear it, its not like its a huge deal, at least to me.

So let's everyone get on the Julianne and Adam bandwagon and ride it all the way to the end.

Hey, Dude!

Love Julianne! Always have!

It's just too bad that TPTB chose Carolla for her partner, this season.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

+ Reply to Thread