+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Tom Bergeron - Host

Tom Bergeron - Host

How is it possible that we don't have a thread for Tom Bergeron???

Tom is rapidly becoming my favorite host in television (I'm still loving my Phil Keoghan, however). I didn't much care for him when I watched Hollywood Squares or AFV, but the one liners that he comes up with, especially this season, normally have me laughing hysterically at least once or twice per episode.

Last night.. loved his comment after Samantha's dramatic "See what happened to Sabrina???????" statement: "by the way, that global warming thing... that's your fault, too!"

Re: Tom Bergeron - Host

I never liked him on AFV, not that I watched the program very often.
    I didn't like him a great deal on the first few seasons of this show either, but he's won me over completely this season.
    Every single week he's guaranteed to say something that makes me laugh.
    I really liked the dynamic between him and Drew too.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fogey

It seems like ABC is loosening his leash a bit more this season. Perhaps they've come to realize what a quick wit he has, so they're sitting back and benefitting from it. I kind of think the reason he's so much better on DWTS than he is on AFV or was on Hollywood Squares is that it is less scripted, so you can appreciate his talent more.

I've also grown to really like him. His wit helps deflect some of the stupid stuff that Samantha says, not a lot, but does help a little! He's getting better and better as the seasons go along. While I often fast forward through Samantha's parts rarely do I do that with Tom, always wondering what he'll say next. He is part of the charm of the show. Last week, or was it the week before when he wasn't quite in his spot after Samantha was done talking and had to leap into place yet still managed to make fun of himself was funny. I can't remember all his one-liners but he sure keeps me laughing. And I wish they'd bring back Drew. In 3 weeks he was doing so much better than Samantha ever has done and really clicked with Tom.

I loooovvvve Tom. I've always loved him. Way back when he was on HS, I used to notice how sharp-witted he was outside of the scripted pap he was given, because you could always tell which asides were his and what came from the pens of the writers. AFV was subsequently a major disappointment, but I still couldn't believe that I was entirely wrong about him. And yaaaay! I'm not wrong. He is sharp-witted and funny and an all around perfect host for this type of light-weight live show. And I actually believe that he could cover something of a bit more substance.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I agree, Tom does a fantastic job on DWTS. He has an uncanny way of making "smart" slightly insulting comments in a funny, non-offensive way. I'd think that would be very difficult to do and it point out how Samantha fails at this very thing.

Thanks, Broadway, for starting a thread for Tom

I've always loved Tom, too. True, he wasn't at his best on AFV, but I think a lot of that had to do with the scenario he was in. He also appeared once on What's My Secret? (the newest version), and his secret for the panel was that he started out in 'the entertainment biz' as a mime. But I don't hold it against him.

Anyway, I love Tom, and think he's the perfect host for DWtS.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

I love Tom too. What you see is what you get! He truly is a quick in real life as he is on the show. I did like him best with Drew. I think he really cares about the people on the show.
    Tahoe bound....

FORT Regular

Thanks for the thread, Broadway. I first heard Tom's particular brand of humor years ago (many years ago!)

his secret for the panel was that he started out in 'the entertainment biz' as a mime
    Was the secret really that he got his start as a mime? I first heard Tom when he and his friends did the morning announcements at our high school. The secretary would read them in a monotone. Hardly anyone ever listened, and people were missing things they should know about. Tom and his friends really got us to listen! While he was still in high school, he worked as a broadcaster for our local radio station. And maybe he didn't consider that as part of 'the entertainment biz', but he had a way of livening up the airways even back then - and it certainly was entertainment. The mime and theater were after high school.

Tom used to do a morning radio show for a Boston station that really eased the pain of the morning commute in Boston traffic. The commute seemed a whole lot longer when he left the show.

Love watching him on DWTS.

To the Point

I think Tom is great as host of DWTS. He makes it fun. He doesn't take it too seriously, but seems to really enjoy the celebs and appreciates the effort that goes into each dance. I also think he probably helps to temper things between the judges and dancers/celebs. Of course, sometimes he helps stir things up as well.

I can hardly abide him on AFV. It's just too incredibly stupid. Perhaps the problem lies with AFV. When that show orginally aired it truly was about people just filming at the "right" time. These days too much of it is preplanned and set-up.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast