+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223

Thread: 10/30 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 10/30 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2640148;
    They may be too old to move fast, but by the same token, they should be old enough to not make all the snide little digs at the younger, faster, more talented dancers. One always hopes that with age comes grace, wisdom and generosity, but apparently it doesn't.
    Remember that an excessive amount of editing is done on television, when you hear salacious statments, unless you see the counter at the bottom of the tape, you have no idea how long that interview lasted and how the tape was edited. An innocent comment or two can be combined into something cruel or rude and then aired as though it was the actual statement. We've seen this time and again.

Quote Originally Posted by dougrayfan;2641221;
    Remember that an excessive amount of editing is done on television, when you hear salacious statments, unless you see the counter at the bottom of the tape, you have no idea how long that interview lasted and how the tape was edited. An innocent comment or two can be combined into something cruel or rude and then aired as though it was the actual statement. We've seen this time and again.
    Perhaps so, but I'm hearing variations of the same comments from the same people in other venues, and honestly, there doesn't really appear to be a context in which they wouldn't come across as a little resentful.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Marie's comments are always followed by a laugh... not deadpan and not in the same vein as Jane's have been (or rather, those that I have seen.)

Donny has always come across as a tad self-centered and thoughtless in some of his comments. He doesn't seem to mean to be nasty, but just doesn't have the proper filter. He seems like an essentially good guy, but one who does thoughtless things. Marie seems very sweet to me, wouldn't hurt a fly, but is used to LOTS of teasing with all her brothers. Her "schtick" is to be funny always. This is often, in my observations, how lone girls survive among lots of brothers. Jane, sadly, hasn't been quite as classy in her comments as I'd expect. It's interesting to get insight into these people we've seen before in this venue and how they respond. Some exceed our expectations like Wayne Newton and some. . ..well, not so much like Jane. Helio s(I had never heard of him before) eems like a delightful guy, although I'm not sure that he's among the best dancers.

FORT Fanatic

I realize this comment doesn't follow the current discussion thread - and I apologize if it has not already been bantered about out here on the boards - - I just wanted to write this in the event TPTB scan this site for ideas in coming seasons.

If DWTS really was a dance competition, it would seem to me that all dancers would have to dance the exact same type of dance each week - - so viewers/voters can have the opportunity to actually compare the dance value of each pair one against the other.

It seems unlikely that viewers/voters would be inclined to vote for technique over entertainment value. When a dance is spicey, funny, stimulating in some way - the dance partners almost always stay each week. But, it may be riddled with mis-steps.

It is simply too easy to vote for the pair that was simply the most fun to watch instead of those dances more technically challenged. 2nd to that - popularity would almost always win. How many times do we hear the judges say, "This is a dance competion?" The eliminated couple last week is certainly proof.

It would seem the dances can be divided from "easiest' to most challenging and each set of dancers continue to "move up" into more and more challening. Then the vote is more apt to be on 'who was better'.

It would be fun to have a reunion - - - say, top two or three couples from each year to get together to dance again for a "dance off.

Thanks for letting end your ear.

Snoozin' on the beach

Quote Originally Posted by StellaGeorge;2646821;
    If DWTS really was a dance competition, it would seem to me that all dancers would have to dance the exact same type of dance each week - - so viewers/voters can have the opportunity to actually compare the dance value of each pair one against the other.

It seems unlikely that viewers/voters would be inclined to vote for technique over entertainment value. When a dance is spicey, funny, stimulating in some way - the dance partners almost always stay each week. But, it may be riddled with mis-steps.

It is simply too easy to vote for the pair that was simply the most fun to watch instead of those dances more technically challenged. 2nd to that - popularity would almost always win. How many times do we hear the judges say, "This is a dance competion?" The eliminated couple last week is certainly proof.

It would seem the dances can be divided from "easiest' to most challenging and each set of dancers continue to "move up" into more and more challening. Then the vote is more apt to be on 'who was better'.
    It wouldn't make it more of a competition, it would make it a complete fix. Who needs to watch a single dance to know a 22 yr old ringer will dance better than a 65 yr old out of shape man with no experience? Or a middle aged billionare with no experience that just had a hip replacement? They'd never get another celebrity to do this show either. They'd be cast only to embarrass or humiliate themselves in front of millions of viewers just to make the network ringer celebrity look good.

The idea itself is good but keep in mind the gigantic gaps in age and experience of the celebrities. No change of rules will make this any kind of competition until the entire cast is on an equal playing field. It's so lopsided for 3/4 of the cast as it is
    Last edited by Shady64; 11-04-2007 at 04:35 PM.

FORT Fan

for the most part, i really enjoy the format of the show and the quality and personalities of the dancers and stars. (btw, in its fifth season, i actually consider the pro dancers the real stars of the show...hey, and what's up with jimmy kimmel never having the dance partners on with the celebrities? does he think they are just chopped liver? and, someone should tell tom b. that when they tune into jimmy kimmel, they will only see the celebrity, not the dancing team...things that make me go hmmmm....) i think tom bergeron is the bomb and the judges are hilarious! for me, give me drew lachey over samantha harris anytime. i especially didn't like some of her comments this season. i thought her questioning of shirley ballas' mentoring was done in a way that it made it seem as though something wrong had been done, even though we have seen other family members and pro ballroom dancers have been brought in over the seasons.(i.e., derek hough to help apolo, alec to help one of edyta's partners to name two.) i don't like how once you've won, they tend to give you less talented dancers(sounded better than icky dancers), and i wish that wasn't done because i miss cheryl's dancing and alec as well. so in general, i love this show. there is a misconception out there (including jerry rice) that this show is for novices...several seasons back,there were only about 3 worthwhile dancers in the bunch. and, it was so boring to sit through the first 2/3 of that season. that's why this cast was so exciting--there were so many talented dancers. those who say that sabrina had an advantage over marie and jane (other than age), i couldn't disagree more. marie because of her musical background, has an excellent sense of timing and jane--you can definitely see her ballet training and i think she danced in a movie where tom selleck was a spy(imay be wrong). where these ladies had an advantage over sabrina was in there overall experience. do you think these ladies would have had anywhere as difficult a time dancing a sexy rumba? or keeping the face serious in the paso? but, sabrina worked really hard and stretched herself and won me over completely. well, sorry, i know i've rambled on too long, but, i agree with a poster who said she felt like she'd been robbed of at least 6 more dances from the darling duo. sabrina and mark will be fine, but, my loss has been devastating...

FORT Fogey

I still love the show....but I would like to see a couple of versions of the show - one in which 1st, 2nd, and maybe even 3rd placers for all seasons compete and one where the over 40 crowd compete (I'd probably be the only viewer, but the older crowd has often been the most entertaining of the bunch!).

Oh yeah, I'd like to see the male model come back...he was robbed - as was Sabrina.

Finally, all my fav's are gone - and I have lost some interest in watching the show. With I think the voting has been really wierd this season and think the audience is voting based on popularity and that the judges are voting to drive drama where there was none.

The show has lost legitimacy for me, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by StellaGeorge;2646821;
    I don't know if I've ever heard them say "this is a dance competition." In fact, they make a point of saying "vote for your favorite dancer." Not vote for who you think is technically the best dancer.

If anyone watching this show wants to see real ballroom dance competition, this isn't the show for it. Who could ever except anyone with no ballroom training to become as good as the professionals? Isn't going to happen. Part of the fun of this show - for me at least - is watching someone with no training becoming better over the weeks (like Cameron for example). I don't have a favorite this year, but if I did, it would be the one who entertained me the most consistently based on personality and dancing style. And the dancing depends as much on the professional's chorography as it does the celebrity's dancing.

+ Reply to Thread