+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 10/16 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 10/16 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by kittykat3006;2615879;
    What did you guys think of Wade Robson's routine?

I, kind of surpurisingly, loved it. He has always been an amazing choreographer, but after some questionable routines on So you think you can dance I kind of have been a little leary of what he does.

He's back on top in my book I'm so glad we got the chance to see him perform!!!
    I thought that was one of the most remarkable routines I have ever seen!

I was pretty well mesmerized the entire time...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. ~Mark Twain

I was delighted to see Cam do the encore...

I puffed up my chest as if I was his proud Mama...

Love it when my Soapies do well!
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. ~Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by SavhLaney;2616346;
    Maybe the Spice Girl is just not that popular with the fans.

She is grouped with Victoria Beckham through their Spice Girls connection and no one seems to like her. Plus, there is the whole having Eddie Murphy's baby and running off and secretly getting married to some other guy. Perhaps she just does not appeal to the "masses."
    Assuming that I am one of the "masses," I had absolutely no idea about any of this. Don't really care either. Never saw the spice girls perform either. I suppose I've heard their music, but couldn't tell you what they sing. DH says her personality probably doesn't appeal to a lot of people, which is why she didn't get the votes (he doesn't like her). I do enjoy her personality, and her dancing.

I don't vote - if I did vote - I don't know who I would vote for. I've never voted on this show. Other than the first season, which I only saw the last few shows, I've had a clear favorite every year. This year, however, I enjoy most everyone on there, but no particular favorite. If I did vote, it wouldn't be for the "best dancer," necessarily, but the one who I enjoyed watching the most. If the "best dancer" was someone I couldn't stand (like Mario last year), I wouldn't vote for them.

The only time I've ever voted on this show is for Jerry Rice and that's because the hubby made me! He was hugely throwing his support behind him.

I don't vote because it frustrates me to no end the way variables such as how much they are liked outside the show (or disliked) and their weight and their looks factor in so heavily on the voting. I don't normally put my support behind any of the dancers for the same reasons.

I'm going strictly off ability and entertainment when they dance and it irritates and frustrates me when I see the good dancers in that dang red light while the bad ones live another day because of their fan bases or some unidentifiable "IT" factor that makes people like them above and beyond their lack of dance ability. So, I try to just watch the show and enjoy it and for the most part TRY to ignore the voting and the rest of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;2617918;
    The only time I've ever voted on this show is for Jerry Rice and that's because the hubby made me! He was hugely throwing his support behind him.

I don't vote because it frustrates me to no end the way variables such as how much they are liked outside the show (or disliked) and their weight and their looks factor in so heavily on the voting. I don't normally put my support behind any of the dancers for the same reasons.

I'm going strictly off ability and entertainment when they dance and it irritates and frustrates me when I see the good dancers in that dang red light while the bad ones live another day because of their fan bases or some unidentifiable "IT" factor that makes people like them above and beyond their lack of dance ability. So, I try to just watch the show and enjoy it and for the most part TRY to ignore the voting and the rest of it.
    The show has long been a popularity contest, unfortunately. If more voters were to go by ability - even just the ability to improve and the ability to absorb and implement instruction well - and less by "ooh, she used to be on TV and I used to watch her when I was X years old, so I'll vote for her" then people like Marie, Wayne etc. would have been eliminated in the earliest rounds. However, it has been proven time and time again that talent and ability matter less than having a fan base... of any sort.

My frustration mirrors yours, and I too refuse to vote. Oh, okay, I'll admit, I just can't be bothered , but there's also that persistent general suspicion I have about vote-based "reality" shows in general. Besides, I recall the first season of this show and how it ended with that guy coming in second when clearly he seemed to be the fan favorite. Can't remember his name, he was one of those 3rd rate semi-somebodies I vaguely heard of. Clearly, voting till you wore your finger to the bone mattered little then, and given some eliminations last season that seemed to come at just the right time to make you gasp and spark outrage (read, ratings!) and again this season, there's little reason for me to think that much has changed since.
    Last edited by MsFroggy; 10-18-2007 at 09:10 AM.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6;2616527;
    although I do wonder where Jennie's votes are coming from.
    From me! A 39 year old that loves the fact that this show means so much to Jennie. I love watching her get better each week, and I love watching the increasing confidence it brings her. And I still think she is doing far better than several of the remaining contestants on the show so I will continue to vote for her.

And it has nothing to do with whether I was a 90210 fan or not. I was a fan (somewhat) of the Spice Girls in their day and I don't vote for Mel B. I was a fan of Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman but I don't vote for Jane. I was a fan of Saved By the Bell way back when and you couldn't have paid me to vote for Mario.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

His name was John O'Hurley MsFroggy! And to me, he WAS better than Kelly Monaco but he didn't get to wear the hoochie mama clothes like she wore!

Like I've said before, I'm one of those who vote for every freakin' reality show I watch. I throw myself 1000% into the whole reality experience....I scream at the TV when I don't like who's leaving, I curse the reality gods when it doesn't go my way, I cross my fingers before they announce a winner, my heart beats fast waiting on the announcer....I love it all! Fortunately for me, I have a son and a mom who are also like me but not to the extreme that I am! My SO on the other hand doesn't quite get it but doesn't seem to realize my comparisons to him of how he loses his mind with football games, March Madness, Wimbeldon, etc....

I vote based on all different things...no, I don't always vote based on talent. I vote because I pull for the underdog, I liked how someone did that particular week, because they were a great childhood memory, because the judges were asses to them....mainly I vote based on loyalty. In the case of DWTS, my votes go to Marie and Mark right now. I realize they are not the best dancers and probably won't last too much longer but they both bring me joy and that accounts for something to me.
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2617961;
    His name was John O'Hurley MsFroggy! And to me, he WAS better than Kelly Monaco but he didn't get to wear the hoochie mama clothes like she wore!
    I vote based on all different things...no, I don't always vote based on talent. I vote because I pull for the underdog, I liked how someone did that particular week, because they were a great childhood memory, because the judges were asses to them....mainly I vote based on loyalty. In the case of DWTS, my votes go to Marie and Mark right now. I realize they are not the best dancers and probably won't last too much longer but they both bring me joy and that accounts for something to me.
    Well said, bama That's how I feel about it too -- whatever brings me the greatest happiness in my favorite tv show means something to me, and that's what my votes would be based on. And that's what the producers want, also, it's why they have urged us from Day One Season One to "vote for your favorite" or "if you love to watch them, be sure to cast your votes for them". I like that DWtS has never pretended it's a "best dancers" contest, or given viewers any criteria for voting other than "your favorite" or "who you want to see return" or "who you like most". And even though that means the finalists could be almost anyone, and it doesn't mean whoever won some season was the best dancer, it doesn't matter to me. All that matters to me is that the show allows viewers to vote for a dance team based on whatever their personal criteria for the show is, and that means more viewer buyin, and that means celebs bring a possibly new fan base, and that means more seasons of DWtS, and that makes me very happy.

(Oh, and I so agree about John, bama )
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2617961;
    Thanks, bama! I vaguely remember his dancing now, which was sub par. He probably wouldn't have made it far on the previous season or even this current one, based on ability... but as I've said, you don't win on this show because you can actually dance (unless you're Apolo).

The sexy clothes are standard attire when it comes to Latin dances. Some of the costuming seen on this show is at times even tame compared to stuff you'd see on real professional competitions.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy;2618321;
    .... but as I've said, you don't win on this show because you can actually dance (unless you're Apolo).
    Kelly Monaco was certainly proof of that.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

+ Reply to Thread