+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: 10/15 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 10/15 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723;2615307;
    Samantha always tries too hard. She has never seemed very relaxed to me in her role on the show. Drew tried a little too hard too, IMO.
    Personal preference, I guess. I missed Drew so much yesterday. I think he was much better co-host than Samantha and wish that they would bring him back.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Personal preference, I guess. I missed Drew so much yesterday. I think he was much better co-host than Samantha and wish that they would bring him back.
    I totally agree with you. He's a natural and she.......isn't.

Show Taping Report

Since I promised to do this here it goes. Though there isn’t nearly as much backstage stuff to report so my usual flair will not be present. This is going up on lots of boards so I will be using my name and my friends board name, to avoid multiple levels of confusion.

So I got to the Grove at about 11am and there was no one in line for the show. So instead of starving in line for the rest of the day and the taping we grabbed a quick lunch before heading back out to check on the line. By the time we got to the line area there were about 40 people in front of us and we settled in for the wait. I have to say I really appreciate the OCA line monitor and security dude. When they came through the line they made sure that you only got credit on your ticket for those that were with you in the line. So if your friend was late and not there when the ticket was counted they couldn’t jump into the line. You could either keep your good spot or ditch your friend and head on back to the end of the line. I would ditch my friend ---if I were forced with the choice.

So basically we just chatted in line for about and hour or so and then the 40 people in front of us were let in. Initially that was all they could let in as they have to wait to see which VIPs and priority ticket people, yes those are two different categories, don’t show up. So Blue_Songstres and I were there at the very front of the line…waiting for about another hour, before we were finally able to go it. For So. Cal it was very, very cold so we were almost frozen to the spot by that point. We got on and sat on the benches outside the Price is Right studio and just waited. I said hello to the OCA peeps that I saw and knew, as what, this taping number 9 billion for me. Finally, we were able to go inside and get to our seats.

For the curious, and since I promised to include as many details as possible, we were in the balcony that was up above the judges…in the second row center. Corey, from just about every reality tv show taping I have been to, was the warm up guy and it was like seeing an old friend – the same jokes, but he is good at what he does. Heck he even got the VIPs involved. So while we were up top and waiting for things to happen, before Corey came out, I started trying to read the labels on the VIP seats and did a little school girl squee when I saw that Ian Ziering was going to be directly across from me, even if it was on the lower level…so we started to try and read other seat names. The only other one that I could read was Wade Robson and I squeed again. Doesn’t take much to make me happy.

So we go through all the pre-show stuff and pre-taped clapping bits and Corey introduces the judges and the hosts. I must admit I was very sad to see Samantha back…I was hoping that her hiatus would be much more extended as I think that Drew is a million times better as a co-host, but she is gorgeous. Tom was a hoot. Every time the show came back from commercials he was doing another dance.

The show was the show. I am not going to go over what you all saw. I only got home from the taping in time to see Jennie and Helio. They weren’t lying when the said the balcony was miked as you can hear my screams a hell of a lot when Jennie was dancing.

Now onto the stuff you didn’t see. After they introduced the dancers at the beginning and they went to the first commercial break all the contestants were going backstage. Jennie, on her way there, went over to give a big hug to Ian. They seemed really happy to see each other and she gave hugs to some more people in her section while Derek waited for her and they eventually got backstage.

While they were showing the videos I was watching the dancers coming out and seeing what they were up to on stage and getting ready, as I figured I would catch the other stuff later at home. I must admit I was more focused on some than others, as it depended on where they were standing if I could see them or not. Only half of the dance floor was visible to us from our seats…we had to rely on teeny screens for the rest.

One couple at time here is what I can remember that didn’t make it on TV:

Mark and Kym – I honestly didn’t notice anything that wasn’t shown on TV. Maybe we couldn’t initially see them on the dance floor. He is one of the people that I really didn’t like prior to seeing the show, but I enjoyed him much more as he wasn’t singing along to the tune. The dances seemed to go much quicker than when I watch it at home.

Sabrina and Mark(?) – Again…since I didn’t really care about them all that much I don’t remember much of anything that wasn’t aired on TV. I do remember that their dance impressed me enough that I voluntarily stood up for them at the end. I do like that DWTS production does not force you to give contestants standing ovations…American Idol should take note of that. I don’t think that the dance deserved a 30 at all. I was, however, able to let go of my intense Cheetah Girl dislike that I have had since the first episode.

Jane and Tony – This was one couple that I was truly looking forward to seeing. Jane looked so gorgeous waiting on the dance floor during the video and the dress was beautiful on her. Tony was smiling and being the gentleman that he always comes across as being on tv. However, after this dance, Blues Songstres and I became obsessed with watching the lifts and pondering whether Carrie Ann was going to dock points from the contestants.

Floyd and Karina – This was the couple, ironically, that I paid the most attention to while the video was running. Karina was in her little corner of at the front of the dance floor doing stretching and breathing exercises and not looking at Floyd at all. Floyd was walking around with the cutest little grin on his face and I guess psyching himself up, for lack of a better term. From up above you noticed Floyd’s lack of posture in the dance even more. Has Karina even tried the dancing frame on him? He needs it so badly. If they survive, I hope that happens. I think that Floyd would be better with another partner as Karina came across as self-involved…to me and my amateur no dance experience eyes.

Mel and Maks – Luckily I noticed Mel first…as after I saw Maks I went into a trance like state involved a glazed over look and flushed cheeks. Mel and Maks were just adorable in their interactions with one another before the dance. Mel talked to her friends in her corner where she started the dance and Maks and Mel were joking around with one another. It was cute to watch. After that…I glazed over. Maks is just gorgeous. I should say here that we didn’t always hear the judge’s comments as the mics were in and out and the volume level varied throughout the show.

Cameron and Edyta – To be honest I didn’t notice Edyta before the dance started. I bugged Blues_Songstres, who was actually watching the videos to point out Cameron on center stage and we had a little giggle. Cameron was standing there in a classic Superman pose and smiling. He looked like he was having a lot of fun and was very relaxed. This is where I should throw in a comment about how everyone looks so orange, tan wise, when you watch it on tv. Everyone looked shockingly normal and attractive in person. I honestly think that the red light combined with the flooring is what is making them look so orange. Edyta has a body that is to die for.

Marie and Jonathan – She is just as funny as she appears on tv. She was another person that was surprisingly quiet while the video package was running. She was just smiling and looking stunning and relaxed in her dress.

Jennie and Derek – To be honest I was expecting Jennie to be uptight, but she seemed very relaxed while the video was running. Derek kept flashing these meg-watt smiles at her, so maybe that is something that kept her relaxed. She looked spectacular in the dress. You pretty much saw everything there was to see after the dance. Derek, Jennie, Maks, Jane and Marie, were the only ones that I noticed waved to the people up the balcony when the show was ending and all the couple were out there.

Helio and Julianne – Both of them were as cute as can be expected. I honestly couldn’t stop staring at Julianne’s sparkles, as Corey was obsessed with sparkles during the commercial breaks last night. They were the only people that got everyone on both sides of the balcony to give them a standing ovation at the end.

Other Random Things

As for other little bits that might interest some of you, throughout the show there is a lady that gives out golden tickets. Those are the people that get to stay behind and be interviewed for the segment that is aired on the results show about who they liked and why.

Corey gave out shirts and books to every section in the audience. Though I wasn’t expecting it…there was a large number of teachers from where I live in the audience last night. None of us knew each other, from what I could tell, and we were scattered all over the audience. Corey did start asking everyone if they were from our town though, which was slightly amusing.

When Blues_Songstres and I came down the stairs at the end we saw Ian Ziering walking in our general direction. I figured that I had nothing to loose and called out his name and he said yes and I took his hand and told him that I had voted for him all of last season, let him know that he was my favorite…etc. He was very nice to me and my 90210 crush will live on for another 20 years or so.

Well that is it…I hope that is enough detail for all of you. I will now go and post this on about 10 boards.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

FORT Fogey

So if we all liked Drew better than Samantha, who really seems to drag the show down, why did they bother having her back? I love Tom and I thought Drew brought the same humor to the backstage interviews as Tom did to the dance floor interviews. Not like Samantha, who always appears like she's rushing to get the dancers out of the way so she can do her thang with the phone numbers...

Bring back Drew. Oh, maybe they will next week - bring back Drew and Cheryl for a special encore presentation...

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Melsevene;2615458;
    So if we all liked Drew better than Samantha, who really seems to drag the show down, why did they bother having her back?
    Because she's got a pesky contract and gets the show extra coverage on E!

Hosting a live show is something very few people can just fall into and do well...

Bergeron is excellent, but he had a long stint on Hollywood Squares, and probably worked locally before that... Anyone sharing a live stage with him will come across as "lacking" by comparison...

The lady on SYTYCD is a natural, but I don't know her background... Hah... Then, again, it may only be her accent... I'm a sucker for an accent! But she doesn't have to share the stage, either, so there is no one to compare her to......
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. ~Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Melsevene;2615458;
    So if we all liked Drew better than Samantha, who really seems to drag the show down, why did they bother having her back?
    I don't mind Samantha in the least. I don't think she's any better or worse than Drew was, it's all just a matter of perception, I guess. For my part, it wouldn't matter to me if it was her in the 2nd banana position or Drew, or probably any one of a dozen other people I could think of. Well, not exactly true, I would love to have Donny Osmond there with Tom, but I doubt that's in the works. I know that here locally, Samantha seems to be the favorite, judging from all the local pre-and-post show interviews, but I couldn't tell you why that is. And yet, when we went to one of our houses in Mississippi for a few days last week, everyone there seemed to prefer Drew, and I couldn't tell you why that was, either.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Quote Originally Posted by JLuvs;2615358;
    I would like to see a third alternative, although Drew was growing on me. Samantha just makes me cringe

I get the fact that they aren't allowed to do lifts, but one of the comments made about the definition of a lift is something that the person couldn't do by themselves. I can't tell you how many times we've seen the guy drag the woman across the stage .. and I doubt that she would be able to drag herself. So why is that allowed?

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

Great recap JLuvs! Thank you.

+ Reply to Thread