+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 10/2 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Re: 10/2 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by kittykat3006;2596372;
    Popularity contest first, dance contest second.
    To give credit where it's due, ABC and DWtS has never made it seem otherwise. From day 1 of the first season, viewers were urged to vote for their favorite. They've never told us to vote for the best dancer(s) -- always "your favorite". Every single tv show on every single network that allows viewers to participate in voting is the same way. It's the viewers themselves who vary in how they prefer to vote -- some will vote only for who they think is the best or most proficient dancer, some will vote only for who they think has the best personality, some will vote for best personality PLUS best dancer, some give pity votes, etc. It's always been that way for DWtS and always will be, and that's exactly as it should be for a show like this presented to mass viewership. If it was judges votes only, or if viewers were warned to vote only for technique, then the viewer numbers would not be this high.

The winners of the show are not the crucial element here, it's the week-by-week getting-to-know-my-celeb-better element that racks up ratings and thereby racks up advertising dollars for ABC, which makes DWtS pure gold for them. So if we love this show, and I definately do, then we should be happy it's this way, because this is what will keep it on the air for more seasons.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

I really don't know why anyone is surprised about Wayne still being around. Wayne Newton is Las Vegas's shining star. There are lots of Seniors that love them some Wayne Newton. Wayne may make Master P's stay look short.

The voting is the one thing that kills me about this show and AI. People vote for everything but talent. Votes are cast on pure hatred of a Celeb, If the Celebrity is to short, too fat, to aggressive and too talented. It would really be nice if the voting would go on talent only. It will never happen because soceity is just too catty for that. I don't vote I just watch for enjoyment the voting process can only bring dissapointment.

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2596415;
    I was thrilled beyond belief that Mark got another week to dance!

And naturally I'm happy that Marie is still in it!

It looked like Cheryl was more surprised to be staying than Wayne...Wayne is a gracious kind gentleman....Albert has said from the beginning that he knew he didn't have the fan base and I do believe that is what did him in this week.

I was so glad to hear that Jane was going to continue in this competition as a tribute to her mom...bless her heart though..how is she going to bury her mom and practice for a routine this next week??? Tough tough job...lots of air to help her through this rough time!
    I couldn't agree more with everything you said here, bama

As for Wayne and Albert, I really dislike Albert and his smartass comments, so am thrilled to death that he's now gone. BUT I also have to admit that I was completely surprised that Wayne wasn't the one eliminated. As much as I enjoy Wayne, and love seeing him on the show, I really did think tonight was going to be his night to go. I actually sat up and said "wow" when they announced who was eliminated, and my hubby came into the room to see what made me exclaim like that. So that's okay with me, I'll enjoy watching him next week then... I'm just surprised.

And I just have to add my voice to what bama said about Jane, and say that she truly is a remarkable woman. She could easily have bowed out for the rest of the season if she had wanted to, but she is a strong woman, and a professional down to her toes. And indeed what a wonderful final tribute to her love for her mother. Class, elegance, grace, charm, and a true star who invokes the golden age of entertainment when "the show must go on".

(on a related note, I bet Tony is relieved that Jane will continue, since last season his celeb partner quit mid-season.... wow, the odds of losing his partner two seasons in a row must have been running through his head)

And can I just say that I love Queen Latifah? I always have. I first got to know her as an actress, and think she's got a great sense of comedic timing. I know she was a musical star before that, but I never heard her sing before tonight. She has a beautiful voice, and I loved her choice of songs.. interesting direction she's taking her musical career. She's also a beautiful woman with her own sense of style and class. Queen Latifah is a wonderful role model for her contemporaries, and the up-and-coming pop tartlets of today could learn an awful lot from her in many areas.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007;2596514;
    I don't vote I just watch for enjoyment ...
    Ditto, MsDiva2007 Since I don't care who wins, I don't need to vote ... it only gets in the way of my enjoyment of the show.

I did vote for both this and AI before. I found myself always upset because the person with the best talent doesn't always make it to the end. I have enough real drama so I skip the vote and watch for entertainment purposes only.

That was a great mini recap nemese

That was cool to have you take on tonight since I got carried away with Biggest Loser and forgot to check back with DWTS's

Hate it when I do that. Albert was sent packing......wish it would have been Jennie. She looked so strange last night....like she ate a lemon. Maybe she was in pain?
    I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.
    Maya Angelou

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

OMG...I make it a point to vote on any show that I watch....I'm invested in these shows so I participate 100%...as a matter of fact, I usually go overboard in my commitment. I have my fave dancers programmed into my cell phone so it makes it easier to vote each time!

I completely forgot about commenting on Queen Latifah earlier! She sung so well tonight...I loved her version of California Dreaming! Beautiful classy lady...I totally agree with you Nemeses...wonderful role model for young women of today!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by Vonna;2596555;
    That was a great mini recap nemese

That was cool to have you take on tonight since I got carried away with Biggest Loser and forgot to check back with DWTS's

Hate it when I do that. Albert was sent packing......wish it would have been Jennie. She looked so strange last night....like she ate a lemon. Maybe she was in pain?
    Thanks, Vonna And I know what you mean... with the long commercial breaks in some of my favorite shows these days, I channel surf during the commercials and sometimes am late getting back to what I was originally watching.

I agree, Jennie really did have strange looks on her face after her dance. I'm assuming it was part pain and part embarassment, but that's only a guess. I noticed tonight that when the light hit her just right, you could see a touch of bruising on her temple where she collided with Derek's leg. They covered it well with makeup, but it occasionally showed a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2596556;
    OMG...I make it a point to vote on any show that I watch....I'm invested in these shows so I participate 100%...as a matter of fact, I usually go overboard in my commitment. I have my fave dancers programmed into my cell phone so it makes it easier to vote each time!
    Now see? THIS is the type of viewer that should be getting wined and dined and sent love notes each week by the producers! Bama, I think we need to get you an agent and start getting some producer lovin' sent your way -- or at least one of those goodie bags.

Pardon me while I go start writing up a contract for you, bama.....

I was stunned to see Albert go. I voted for him. I grew to be a fan of his. I still have Cameron in the competition now

+ Reply to Thread