+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: 5/21 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Re: 5/21 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Again, I find Laila and Maks were overscored, particularly in the first dance. I think Maks is all sorts of yummy, but I have to agree with Krom and Nemeses that he is not a good choreographer and coach and he likes to showcase himself. I don't mind the bare chest, it's drool worthy, but that was a little much. Reminds me of the guy in So you think you can dance. I think even Nigel had a comment for him at one point.

FORT Fogey

I think Laila has been overscored for weeks.

Apolo and Julianne's freestyle was good and entertaining, but that's not really what I imagined a freestyle in a ballroom competition to be. That was mostly a hip hop dance, had very little to do with ballroom.

Joey and Kym's freestyle was fabulous because it was just what I imagine a freestyle in ballroom to be. It was the chance to do lifts and other things not usually allowed. They used actually ballroom steps and choreography. I have been a fan of Joey's from the start, although not always voting for him, but I think he and Kym deserved the highest scores for their freestyle, but as usual, the judges are so generous with their scoring, that when a truly spectacular routine is done, they have nothing better than a 30 to give it.

I'm hoping Joey wins, but from all the postings here, it would look like Apolo has it won.

I voted for Apolo, though I have to give Joey props for his freestyle. I thought Joey's cha cha was a little too cheeky, whereas A/J seemed to have a good, disciplined first dance and a hot freestyle. Either would be a worthy champion, but I like that Apolo has done so well without any performance skills or dance training.
    Why is it boys talk so much, when they have nothing to say? And girls have plenty to say, but no one will listen?
    --Vada Sultenfuss

I was all set to vote for Apolo, but Joey's freestyle was awesome. Apolo's was good too, but it was commercial hip hop, not ballroom and somehow not nearly as appropriate as what Joey and Kim did.

Don't let anybody tell you that the lifts that J/K did are easy. It isn't just a matter of strength, it is also the take-offs and landings, they have to be smooth and Joey is really an amateur. I know excelllent dancers who couldn't do what they did, most male dancers have fairly weak upper bodies. Apolo even said early on that his upper body was very weak. J/K nailed their lifts.

I split my votes again this week, with the bulk going Joey and then to Apolo. I agree with the people above that it is Julianne that makes the couple. She is just too cute, fresh and exciting to watch. I predict she will be back, that is if she is available. My guess is that she will be very busy as a result of this and not just for dancing.
    Tahoe bound....

FORT Fogey

I was disappointed with the final - didn't they used to do 3 dances - one ballroom, one latin and one freestyle? What happened? It gave us a chance to see who had endurance, and improved in both styles of dance! My votes went to Apolo because I thought that all season this couple really showed the best improvement, and were entertaining without being over the top and cheesy. Both Joey and Laila I thought had times when it wasn't just about the dance, but about them.

I enjoyed Laila/Maks first dance - but the second one was just really bad, IMO.

I enjoyed both of Apollo/Juliannes - especially their FS. I'm not a hip-hop type person, but it was a lot of fun to watch, as usual with their dancing.

Joey/Kym, again - technically strong, and probably pleasing to most - but just about everything he does is too cartoonish/theatrical/boyband on stage for me. and he does it all with such a smug expression I just don't enjoy watching at all.
    And I think the winner should be someone you want to watch.

so, Apolo as usual got all my votes. And I think Julianne's career thermometer has just shot up to the strastosphere. I can't think of any dance of hers that I didnt' enjoy the choreography - and yes, they are just SO DARN CUTE TOGETHER. But I don't see anything personal coming out of it - except an ongoing friendship.
    But, who am I to know?

FORT Fogey

I adore Laila's personality, but I think she showed last night that she was #3 of the pack. I was fully prepared to be utterly wowed by Apolo, but I have to admit, I wasn't. In their first dance, I thought all the wow came from Julianne. In many sections of the dance, he was almost doing a Billy Ray standing there and letting her look good. It was a proper dance, yes. But for the finals, I wanted to see more from him - and the rules of the dance didn't prevent that kind of choreography. And I think the blind fold part of their dance was a big mistake. Had they been precisely together, it would have been a huge wow. But they weren't, so they should have just skipped that stunt.

All my votes went to Joey and Kym. Their first dance was good, but not great. But their freestyle was spectacular. Given Joey's background, it would have been so tempting for them to have gone exclusively for an NSync style dance. It had those elements, but they remembered what this competition was, and used more elements of ballroom than the other two did. I hope they win, because I adore both of them ... and I'd love to see just how much Joey's daughter can jump out of her shoes if she found out her daddy won.

Ya... Joey's daughter is a real cutie pie. He married his high school sweetie and they have an adorable daughter, how untypical is that! It has been really great to see Lance Bass there night after night supporting Joey. You don't see Justin T. showing any support.

I was able to get more votes in online this morning... they all went to Joey.
    Tahoe bound....

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by skyhigh79;2412099;
    Ya... Joey's daughter is a real cutie pie. He married his high school sweetie and they have an adorable daughter, how untypical is that! It has been really great to see Lance Bass there night after night supporting Joey. You don't see Justin T. showing any support.

I was able to get more votes in online this morning... they all went to Joey.
    JC was there early in the season, wasn't he? And I noticed Chris was there the week that Joey was in the bottom 2, and hasn't been back since. I wonder if Joey told him to stay away, he was bad luck! Not a big surprise that Justin was the one member of the group to never find time to be in the audience.

True, but if JT was in the audience, don't you think it would become a 3-ring circus in the audience rather than on the stage?
    There are just some who are so big (and I don't mean that in a bad sense) that it would detract from the focus of the show.

I do hope that JT has shown support for Joey personally. we just will not know about it.

+ Reply to Thread