+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 5/15 Show Discussion Thread **Spoiler**

Re: 5/15 Show Discussion Thread **Spoiler**

Quote Originally Posted by klm1;2394490;
    Nemeses,
    Can you elaborate? I'm still puzzled by the alleged discomfort (or whatever else it's been called) between Ian and Cheryl.
    Well, it seems like Ian's had a change of attitude since he first showed up to start rehearsals. He viewed it as an easy gig with a nice paycheck that might lead to more opportunities. Ian apparently took a long time in getting to a point where he started taking his dance training with Cheryl seriously and also start treating her with respect as a fellow professional, instead of a truck-stop playmate. Ian apparently has a rep as a lothario. I don't know what actually happened in their interactions, but one of his friends said he "finally learned to take her (Cheryl) seriously and realize she's the key to how well he's going to do". And during the early days of their training, he would be out partying and drinking late, then show up at the studio and be tired and played around as much as he worked, really frustrating Cheryl, who was used to a strong work ethic with her previous partners. Bottom line is that it seems to have taken Ian some time to stop playing around so much with the training and stop being the ladies man and take the training, the show, and Cheryl seriously. I guess once he finally smartened up, he and Cheryl were then able to develop a better working relationship and he now seems to have a lot of respect for her as a person and a teacher.

I don't know how much time it took before they were able to develop the better working relationship, but it seems to me like this is probably what we were witnessing in the early episodes when there was obvious discomfort on her part with him. When even the judges comment on it, that's not good. But I'm glad things seem to have gotten better between them, and I hope Ian has learned a thing or two about work ethics.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses;2394031;
    Cutie-pie puppy in your avatar, Blues Songstres One of my favorite dog breeds
    Mine too! He's my favorite sweetie-pie pup.

Back on the subject... I'm really happy with the final three and will be just fine with any of them taking it all.

FORT Regular

I agree with the poster above who said they enjoy watching Laila but that Laila's energy is always the same.

I think the point about energy is especially well taken.

While Laila presents herself well--and dances well IMO--her energy(which seems to come from her extremely high competence when doing anything physical) is the same regardless of which dance she is doing.

While with Apolo and Joey their energy changes depending on which dance they are doing.

For me this makes all the difference between enjoying a performance (Laila's) and getting completely caught up in the exubernece of the dance (Joey and Apolo).

FORT Fogey

Laila is so slow and boring I cannot believe she is in the top five let alone three, and if she wins worst winner yet.

Max's choreography is boring, and he is a pompous jerk.

Apollo being in the bottom two under Laila is a joke, and I am shocked she stuck around.

Quote Originally Posted by MHcarrollton;2394893;
    Apollo being in the bottom two under Laila is a joke, and I am shocked she stuck around.
    Didn't they announce last nite that they weren't going to designate a "bottom two"?

Obviously Ian and Cheryl were the bottom one, but based on the way finalists were named, I don't think Apolo necessarily received fewer votes than Laila...if anything, I'm more inclined to think he actually got the most votes and they simply tried to insert a little "dramatic effect" in there last night.
    Love lives forever <3

To the Point

I knew that Laila would be one of the three. While I started out really liking her, I don't really enjoy her at this point, but the judges were doing all they could to insure that she would be around. I really felt that she and Ian were both expendable. I think there is a certain stiffness to both of them. She is somewhat more fluid through the hips but her movements are awkward. I know that a lot of people have attributed this to her size, however, I have a friend who is less than petite and delicate who is an amazingly fluid and graceful dancer. That is one of those intangible things that you either have or you don't. I think you can only learn that to a certain degree. The bulk of it just has to be inherent. Her moves look pretty much the same every single dance and her choreography (yes, I know this is Maks but he is catering to her abilities) has been much more watered down than that of either Joey or Apolo. She was by far the best of the females, I've just been incredibly disappointed in her lack of improvement.

I really wish that the final was just the two guys. It would be much more enjoyable and we would be much less likely to see the judges throwing totally undeserved scores out there.

If Laila should win that would truly be a travesty because the other two really are just that much better at dancing. This is a situation where I hate that it becomes a popularity contest and also that the judges don't actually compare the dances to one another. They have a tendency to give scores based on how the individual dancers are comparing to their own previous dances. Sorry, they are actually competing against each other, not themselves. The scores should be given accordingly.

Thanks Nemeses. Perhaps this helps me to understand Ian's lack of appeal to me, besides the obvious lack of dancing ability. I really had not been able to put my finger on what bothered me about him, but this does give some insight. He really was pompous! Hopefully he did learn a thing or two. I kept just thinking that it bothered me that he kept failing to have the stick removed.
    Last edited by NCLurker; 05-16-2007 at 12:09 PM. Reason: To thank Nemeses

FORT Fogey

I'm a little nervous with it being a final 3. I'm fearful Joey and Apolo will split votes and Laila, the least deserving of the 3, will win.

I'm hoping it's -
    1. Joey
    2. Apollo
    3. Laila

Joey is just so darn fun to watch. I know, so is Apolo, but Joey's energy is just so much more spontaneous to me, while Apolo's seems to be necessary to complete the high-energy dances he and Julianne do.

But I'll only cry foul if Laila beats out either of the two remaining guys, that would be an injustice. And I liked her in the beginning. She just hasn't improved and has done pretty much the same dance over and over, week after week. And while I like Maks fine, he doesn't seem to be a strong enough personality to say to her, I'm the pro here, we'll do it my way, which is what I think she needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Melsevene;2394997;
    I'm a little nervous with it being a final 3. I'm fearful Joey and Apolo will split votes and Laila, the least deserving of the 3, will win..
    I seriously doubt Apolo and Joey will be splitting votes. I would imagine at this point in the competition, most people prefer one over the other, since they're so different.

IMO, if this competition is about finding the best ballroom dancer, it should go to Apolo and no contest at all. If it's about the most entertaining dancer, that's more subjective. For me, that would also be Apolo. I think Juliane's chorography is superior to the others, and I'm not a huge fan of the over the top flailing around Joey does much of the time. Yes, he can be entertaining, but he's not as good at the dances as Apolo.

I've always thought Laila was overrated. I like her, she can dance, but Max's choreography is the pretty much the same week after week, and she hasn't grown much. Both Apolo and Joey have.

I expect Joey will win, but I really think it should be Apolo.

Quote Originally Posted by Melsevene;2394997;
    But I'll only cry foul if Laila beats out either of the two remaining guys, that would be an injustice. And I liked her in the beginning. She just hasn't improved and has done pretty much the same dance over and over, week after week. And while I like Maks fine, he doesn't seem to be a strong enough personality to say to her, I'm the pro here, we'll do it my way, which is what I think she needs.
    Spot on. That is why I perferred Ian over Laila, he was trying, he was improving, Laila was the same from wk one to now. Even Leeza and BRC showed some improvement for the wks they were on, although they had started so low that they needed a yr of work to get to Laila's level.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Newbie

I appreciate that you like Joey and or Apolo. I am glad that Laila and Maks are in the finals - where they belong. She brings grace, elegance, energy, personality and much more. As always the female celebs are at a disadvantage as they cannot bend, split etc like the female pros. Then when Maks dances it up, he gets ripped for showboating. Then he stops that and now he has boring choreography. He cannot win.

That said, Laila provides an alternative to the razzle dazzle lets see how fast I can move dances. Many others have said, including Len, that doing the dance moves slow is actually more difficult. Like a sit up, you can pull yourself up (fast is easy) but when you try to do a sit up slowly and actually use those muscles, it is more difficult. Doing the dance moves correctly and slowly can be more difficutl. I realize it is not always the case.

As has been said Maks is a dance purist and that is his style. If you don't like that style, fine but many many fans enjoy that and look forward to them in the finals. It is the style we enjoy. Go Maks and Laila.

+ Reply to Thread