+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 5/8 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 5/8 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Oceansands;2378151;
    In my humble opinion, this show is about who improves the most from week to week. So far, its Ian, Joey and Laila all of them try hard to improve. Apolo and Jullionne are great dancers and have been from the get go. I don't like either of their attitudes. To me they haven't improved because both dance like professionals and have from the start. The others accept the judges criticism gracefully and try to use it to improve. Bruno is getting old though, there is no excuse for insulting the dancers like he does. Criticism is one thing but out and out slinging insults is rude and uncalled for. Apolo and his partner seem to think it's all about them and the judges don't have the right to even hint that they are anything but great every time. I'm sick of both of them. I vote for the most improved dancer each week not for the greatest dancer from the start.
    I find myself in an area here that I never thought I'd be found in, but nonetheless I feel I have to defend Apolo/Julianne here. As a read of any of my past posts about Apolo can tell you, I'm not a fan (thought not a hater, either), and after reading some things about him pre-premier that showed he could indeed be a bit arrogant at times, I went into season 4 willing to give him a fair chance but no more than that, and was ready to pounce upon the first indicator of a self-righteous attitude that he displayed.

However, I can honestly say that I've seen no snippet or shadow of that kind of attitude from him yet. In fact, I've been reluctantly impressed with his attitude of knowing he has lots to learn and being willing to learn those lessons from both Julianne and the judges. Nor have I seen any sign of sanctimony from Julianne. And I have seen improvement each week from their team, sometimes just a little, sometimes more, but always a bit better each week. (Okay, he still hasn't learned to close his mouth when performing, but I'm keeping my hopes up for that ) I personally felt that neither of their dances this week was their best, and I also feel they were scored a bit too high on both of them, but I also believe the music played a part of that in that I don't think Julianne's choreography counterpointed it as well as it should have. But I don't know if anyone else could have choreographed any better to something like Clementine (what the heck? ). Are Apolo and Julianne's team the most improved? I really have no idea. Did they come out of the gate as "the best"? I honestly don't think so, but there's plenty of room for debate about that. But I will have to stick up for them in that I've seen only a good attitude from both of them regarding the judge's criticisms and how they then take and learn from that. (This defense of Apolo in no way takes away my still wanting to rip that flap of fur from under his lip every time I look at him though )

As for who tries hardest to improve each week, that's all pretty debatable at this point also. Personally, I don't think Ian tries that hard to improve -- I think he acts harder at acting like he's trying, but I don't see anything genuine from him yet. I do get the feeling Joey is working harder to improve now than he did in the first few episodes, so good on him. And Laila? She works hard each week, I can tell that, but a strong work ethic is part of her base character as shown by how hard she's worked at her profession. But to be honest, this week and part of last week I keep getting a mild feeling that she really isn't improving much now. She's good -- not great, but good. And she's improved much since episode 1. But I tend to agree with whoever above said that it's like Maks isn't pushing her hard enough, or either she's gotten to a point where she feels she's 'got it', or whatever. But this week they really seemed to be coasting on leftover lessons, to me. I think she needs to bring something new to the floor now.

And finally... I guess that's part of the fun of DWtS, is how each viewer sees thier own participation level in it. Some viewers feel votes should be cast in a very strict sense, as in who performed each dance with less mistakes, kept truest to the dance, etc. Some viewers feel votes should be cast for whoever improves the most from week to week. Some viewers feel votes should be cast for whoever is the most entertaining. Some viewers feel votes should be cast for just whoever they like the best, irregardless of dance performance. And the thing is, all those schools of thought are welcomed by ABC and DWtS producers. And by now, any seasoned viewer of the show knows it and has learned to accept it, even though it may be frustrating to some at times. It was frustrating to me at the end of season 1 when I learned not to expect a status quo in voting, but since then I don't even bother caring who actually wins, I just watch for the fun and joy of watching the dancing and some lower grade stars in a fun venue, and I've enjoyed watching it that way. (I'm a little ticked at DWtS producers for wasting one of the star slots with a gimmick this season, but that's another story, and I'll live ).
    Last edited by lildago; 05-09-2007 at 01:10 PM. Reason: lingo
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

It does so amaze me how we all have our own perceptions.

I love watching Apolo and Julianne. I have never noticed attitude from them, just smiles and fun. I never notice his mouth open, but I do see him stick his tongue out sometimes, but Joey does too - so....

I really like Ian - I think he is trying very hard, but he just is not able to let go of the stiffness he has. I don't think he has a rodent look - I think Joey does.

My favorites -
    Apolo - can't do wrong in my eyes. he deserved perfect scores even though Julianne almost knocked him over. yeah. I saw it. Didn't care. It was perfection.

Ian - I like him. He's trying , very hard, and has improved. I don't see all the fuss for Cheryl, but I do like her. She is very pretty and fun.

Laila - meh. take it or leave it. I'm seeing the same moves everytime and she is getting quite cocky about the game.

Joey - yuck. been cocky and weird to me since day 1. and his dancing still looks like boy band on stage. I don't enjoy watching his dances at all.

FORT Fogey

Although I've been the one to say wait until they dance before you decide who to vote for, I'm voting for Joey next week with all my votes. He doesn't deserve to leave before Ian or Laila, he is in the top two, regardless of his attitude during practice or when they aren't dancing. If what we are to judge on is how well they do on the dance floor and how entertaining they are, he and Kym deserve 2nd place, if not 1st place.

I hope BRC and J-Rat fans unite behind Joey so that Ian can be put out of his misery once and for all.

Quote Originally Posted by Melsevene;2378464;
    I hope BRC and J-Rat fans unite behind Joey so that Ian can be put out of his misery once and for all.
    I don't think Ian is in any misery whatsoever. I agree that he is not the best dancer this season, but I think people count his seriousness against him and that his dancing techniques are as good as Joey's if not better.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Snoozin' on the beach

Quote Originally Posted by JLuvs;2378533;
    I don't think Ian is in any misery whatsoever. I agree that he is not the best dancer this season, but I think people count his seriousness against him and that his dancing techniques are as good as Joey's if not better.

I agree

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

I agree, too. I also think, and I know this has already been hashed out time and again, that his "relationship" with Cheryl in the beginning really turned people off on him. IIRC, she was very cool to him, and he seemed to be trying so hard to come across as friends but she was stand-off-ish and never joked in their clips, and when they got the judges comments she wouldn't look at him and stood far away and flinched when he touched her. All of it was minor, but I know it sort of affected the way I personally felt about him. But in the last few weeks, they've been much more relaxed and friendly toward each other and Cheryl seems to be more herself, and I've noticed how good of a dancer Ian really is. I don't get the impression he's acting like he's trying; I feel like he really is trying, but that it "shows" more than with the other dancers. I believe they're judging him more harshly, and his scores are maybe a tad low for what he's doing. No, I don't believe he's the best of the four remaining, but by no means is he some stinking hanger-on who doesn't deserve to have a place in the semifinals. And if he stays to the finale, well, good for him.

I like each of the four remaining couples and feel they all could make it to the finale, given the right dance and a good night.

FORT Fogey

I agree - Ian looks like he's trying really hard to me, and Joey seems like he had a lot more rhythm and skills from the beginning so is trying to be too cutsy with tricks and props. I really enjoy watching Leila though, she is graceful, and stylish for such a big, strong woman. I don't take her comments as cocky, only as a toned down and fun version of the bantering between competitors. She's a boxer, and her father's daughter - she's not saying she's the "greatest" but has been trained and bred to want to win, and competes hard to try to do so. Her ideas for adding to the dances try to make them more fun, but only serve to make the judges notice that they are not traditional to the dance style...

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

I completely agree. Last week he really loosened up and looked great. But like you said, his dancing technique is just as good as Joey's if not better
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

FORT Regular

I really like the poster's ideas above about the many different reasons people vote for any given dancer.

I have my own favorites--for many reasons--but mostly I do go by who has entertained me the most--the entertaining aspect includes improvement and skill level and technique and stagecraft--and attitude.

And I very much appreciate the analysis done by many of the posters here. Thanks for all that input!

WGal

btw--last night I noticed what a fantastic dancer's body Ian has--his core strength is amazing and his torso is so tidily and well-proportionally arranged.

In other words--major eye candy--as well as satisfying to look at during the dance.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses;2378345;
    And I have seen improvement each week from their team, sometimes just a little, sometimes more, but always a bit better each week. (Okay, he still hasn't learned to close his mouth when performing, but I'm keeping my hopes up for that ).
    Your post was great Nemeses, but I can't help but highlight this part as it really jumped out at me. When he did the Paso Doble this week, I could not concentrate on his dancing, only on his gaping mouth. He looked ridiculous. It's too bad, as I think he's a really good dancer.

+ Reply to Thread