+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: 5/07 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 5/07 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose;2376499;
    I agree it's not his fault if his fans are keeping him in the competition, but I'll say the same thing I said for Sanjaya: it is his fault for not improving after so many weeks of practice. He still cannot do something as simple as extending his arms or leading with his toes instead of his heels. The judges have been way too soft on him so far. Like Veruka said, his reaction was so out of line with how he usually acts, I'm wondering if the gentleman thing was not just that: an act.
    I totally agree. I have not seen any improvement from BRC. In the latin dance when he is down on his knees he had to toss the edge of Karina's skirt, he couldn't even do that right and all that is is flipping his hands up and down. half the time Karina has him standing in one spot and fakes it as if he is moving by her moving in front of him from left to right and back again. They do this a lot and he basically just stands there.

Yes, is was cruel that Bruno said that BRC's dance was crap, but lets face it all of us were thinking that even BRC knew it and it is written all over his face that he knows his dancing is crap. Bruno did not mean to say it that was obvious. A southern gentleman would have let it go and said 'Bruno knows when to call a spade a spade'.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Ok, so I thought I was the only one who thought the Paso by Apolo was sloppy. I noticed several misses. Did not deserve a perfect score, but then I didn't think Ian deserved a 22 for his first dance. I thought Laila's first dance was terrible... she was turning in her feet (called sickled feet) or pidgeon toed. No difficulty in it either as compared to Joey, who got marked down for not having any "razzle dazzle"...

tonight should be BRC going home, but I think of course Ian will be in the bottom two. He doesn't seem to have the fan base and his scores put him in the bottom two as well. Will BRC's fan base save him tonight?

FORT Newbie

I don't think they should even bother with a bottom 2 tonight. Just announce who goes home. With next week being all about which 3 get to go to the finals, it would be much better if they didn't announce who the 2nd lowest vote getter was. Because, usually, that is the next person to go. Or, possibly, that could rile up their fan base and propel them into the finals. I wish they wouldn't even let any of that come into play. Keep us guessing, and just announce who is out.

Quote Originally Posted by Shady64;2374669;
    How is it consistant to critisize use of theatrics of one couple when others couples have done theatrics as well and nothings been said? That's not consitant, that's favortism
    Len is very consistent. From what I can remember this season, Len has criticized Apolo's use of the chair and last night Laila's use of the pillow on the stage (although he directed those to the professionals). I know there have been many others over the years. Len doesn't like props, which even I know by now.

Joey's theatrics are way over the top. His latin dance last night looked more like a boy band routine than a ballroom dance to me. But what do I know.

Snoozin' on the beach

Quote Originally Posted by skyhigh79;2376703;
    Ok, so I thought I was the only one who thought the Paso by Apolo was sloppy. I noticed several misses. Did not deserve a perfect score, but then I didn't think Ian deserved a 22 for his first dance. I thought Laila's first dance was terrible... she was turning in her feet (called sickled feet) or pidgeon toed. No difficulty in it either as compared to Joey, who got marked down for not having any "razzle dazzle"...

tonight should be BRC going home, but I think of course Ian will be in the bottom two. He doesn't seem to have the fan base and his scores put him in the bottom two as well. Will BRC's fan base save him tonight?
    I don't think the routine sloppy, it had misses in it and the score should have reflected those misses. Sloppy seems to harsh a term (to me) to describe it. It was really good but not deserving of a 30 with those slip ups.

I loved Lailas first dance as well as the second. Joey's waltz didn't impress me at all. His second dance was good but if they hadn't announced that it was a latin dance I'd never have known it. It looked more like a jitterbug to me than anything latin. I must have misundertood them when they announced the dance because I thought the second dances of the night were to be latin.
    Last edited by Shady64; 05-08-2007 at 05:08 PM.

I've noticed on at least 2 different occasions that the jive was considered "latin"... that's news to me. But then ballroom competitons are different from the dance competitions I have been involved with.

Why is the tango considered in the same genre as waltz and jive with rumba? Tango is definitely latin.

I really liked Apolo's Paso, it was just not that well executed. Of course the judges see it at dress rehearsal where it might have been perfect and judged based on their first view of it. I have seen that happen in the world of dance competitions, specifically when their are "heats" where the winners of the different groups recompete for the overall prize.

Misty8723;2376729;]Len is very consistent. From what I can remember this season, Len has criticized Apolo's use of the chair and last night Laila's use of the pillow on the stage (although he directed those to the professionals).
    I don't remember him criticizing John for using props. He always boasted about how entertaining John was.

FORT Fogey

I think that all the judges, Len especially, apply two different sets of standards. One goes to the strongest "this one could win it" dancers (Apolo, Joey, Laila, perhaps Ian). The other goes to the "this guy is in it for the entertainment value only and cannot win" dancers (John, Billy Ray, Leeza, etc). I really don't have a problem with that. The problem comes in when they start differentiating standards within the two groups (Apolo must dance better thanthe other good ones because he's been so good before or Laila shouldn't use props, but Joey should). I think that of the three judges, Len is probably the least guilty of splitting standards within the two groups. That doesn't mean he doesn't do it from time to time, but I think he does it considerably less.

I mostly agree Veruka.

After watching this for sometime it is clear that all 3 judges are coming from different places. Carrie Ann is a "dancer" not just a ballroom dancer and she is totally into the emotion and story aspect. She apprreciates technique, but wants a more than just technique. Len is a classic ballroom guy, he doesn't appreciated the story nearly as much. He wants to see "proper" technique, sorta old school. Bruno is the razzle dazzle guy. He's a Vegas kinda guy. He likes the showy, newness and artisticallly different dances.

Becasue they are so different they often clash. I used to think that Carrie Ann was the harsh judge, but she at least holds her tongue when it is truly bad. Less said, best mended. I think Len and Bruno's arguments often push them into corners. One takes away, so the other gives extra. But clearly they hold the good dancers to a higher standard.

That being said, they must consider Ian to be in the better category and thus judge him much more harshly. Laila is getting all the "only girl" points. Which is kinda funny to me, it is usually the other way around. Outside of ballroom, most dance competitions are 99% girls and boys get the extra points.

Can anyone tell me the song that Laila and Maks danced the waltz to?

Thank You !

+ Reply to Thread