+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: 5/07 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 5/07 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

I imagine, knowing how the news like to make something out of nothing, the "jaw dropping" announcement or whatever, was the verbal lashing including saying it was "cr@p". I think tensions between judges and contestants was very high in last nights show.

I was not impressed with Laila's dancing at all. I thought the whole Ali thing was a ploy to get ratings. I hate it when people use their famous family members to garner sympathy votes. This was just so staged. This is nothing like last year's Jerry Springer moment. Last night's arrangement was a ratings and vote getting ploy. Probably the best thing I've seen was video of Ali with his girls when they were little. That does bring an "awww" to see the big, bad fighter playing with his little girls.

To be fair, they've (producers) tried to play this card with several others. We've had Ian and Apolo's dads and Joey's daughter. Somehow last night was just too much. Especially when you add in the mean and conflicting judges reactions to each dancer.

There may be some changes in the judging line up next year, or there are going to be stricter guidelines to what they can and cannot say. Of course, much like Rosie on the The View, controversy brings in audiences.

FORT Regular

Well, I actually TiVo'd the news so I could get some sleep (!), and when I watched it this morning, the pre-interview teaser was "the comment that had BRC so mad, he wouldn't talk to ANYONE."

We get to the bit, and it was exaclty what Violet said: Bruno's verbage of the night. And other than the fact that they (obviously) didn't interview BRC, there was no more discussion about what happened, and they moved on to Apollo blathering on about "tv and movie scripts" coming his way...

OK, I LOVE Apollo, don't get me wrong. But are we such an instant-gratifacation-get-the-hot-thing-now society that Apollo is being approached for tv and movie gigs? And this obviously isn't the Regis & Kelly / AM News Shows / Oprah circut, either. PUH-LEEEASSE! Not that he's not capable or anything like that (and I'm not stirring up conflict, honest!), it just bugs me that because he's the new hot thing they do this. Makes me wonder if Drew got the same stuff?

I dunno. I think I'm just aggrivated at the whole news-spin and mad at myself for thinking it would be more meaningful than the crappy filler piece that it really was.

I respectfully head back under my rock, smacking tv news as I go.

Dayna

Quote Originally Posted by DaynaWayna;2376159;
    Well, I actually TiVo'd the news so I could get some sleep (!), and when I watched it this morning, the pre-interview teaser was "the comment that had BRC so mad, he wouldn't talk to ANYONE."
    In my 2 year old's words: Baby-lala.

FORT Fogey

I can see BRC's point his young daughter is in the audience and the judges just ream him for going out and trying. If they do not want crap, as they call it, dancers than test them ahead of time before they go on the show to make sure the differences in them are not so glaring.

As for Layla, my friend watches and than calls me and she is a dance teacher and she says Layla misses more moves than Ian, and that her moves are some of the simplest ones to hit. Also she says that Max is just a phenomenal dancer who cannot slow down for her and your eyes go to him which is very true. She also said that Julianne is an awesome choreographer and a good dancer which makes Apollo and her look good cause they can hit the same marks.

I think Apollo and Joey are the best of the stars and Max is by far the best of the professionals.

Quote Originally Posted by skyhigh79;2376123;
    I thought the whole Ali thing was a ploy to get ratings. I hate it when people use their famous family members to garner sympathy votes. This was just so staged.
    I disagree. Other contestants have their families in the audience. Other celebrities have been in the audience. Of course, they are going to recognize a legend like Muhammed Ali.

How did Laila use him to garner sympathy votes? I'm just not seeing it.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

FORT Fogey

I know y'all will jump all over me, but I split my votes between Joey and BRC. Why? Because I think what the judges did last night to BRC was unforgiveable and mean. These celebs don't come on this show to be ridiculed and slammed for their efforts. BRC is trying and his fans, not him, are keeping him on this show. Don't berate him and try to embarass him for something his fans are doing.

Apolo had a blunder on his second dance. Didn't anyone see it? Near the beginning when Julieann ran up and did the split/slide, Apolo was on one knee and he lost his balance and had to put his hand down to keep from falling over. Small thing, but that, in my mind, should have prevented a perfect 30.

I think the judges have fawned all over Laila all year and I still say she does the same moves and not much more. I think, right now, the final 2 should be Apolo and Joey and I would be fine with either winning, although I like Joey a little better.

FORT Fogey

The judges may or may not have been mean to Billy Ray last night. They were honest with him, and I don't think they were tougher on him than they've been on some other dancers. But they've also been so soft on him all season that it's like they built him up and built him up, and then suddenly pulled the floor out from under him. I can understand why that was tough on him.

That said, I think that Billy Ray missed a HUGE opportunity last night. All season long he's been charming viewers in to voting for him because he's been a class act. When he's been picked on, he's smiled, complimented Katarina, and danced on. It's been somewhat easy, because he hasn't REALLY faced adversity. Last night, he did. That's the test of whether the gentleman act has been an act, or has really been him. Given the negative way he responded, it's going to come across to a lot of viewers who've been voting for him as an act. (I have no idea what is in his heart and don't know the guy, so I won't say if it's really been an act or not). If he'd faced the harsh words from the judges with the same kind of grace and charm that we've seen from him all season, then he would have soared with the votes. But when you're relying on your charm to stay on the show, you can't let up on the charm ... he did.

Snoozin' on the beach

I saw that hand thing as well as she was sliding and he tried to grab her, he lost his balance and braced his hand on the floor. It's not as obvious as HM falling or Ian with his mistep but you couldn't miss it. It was a great routine but not a 30 with that mistake

Yeah it wasn't the nicest thing Bruno said when he blurted it out and it didn't appear to be on purpose that he said it but a spade is a spade. BR dancing is crap. Even he knew it for most of the season. At what point did he start thinking he wasn't a crappy dancer? They never should have given him pity scores in the first place. It (inadvertantly) sets the stage for this kind of thing

Quote Originally Posted by Melsevene;2376387;
    Don't berate him and try to embarass him for something his fans are doing.
    I agree it's not his fault if his fans are keeping him in the competition, but I'll say the same thing I said for Sanjaya: it is his fault for not improving after so many weeks of practice. He still cannot do something as simple as extending his arms or leading with his toes instead of his heels. The judges have been way too soft on him so far. Like Veruka said, his reaction was so out of line with how he usually acts, I'm wondering if the gentleman thing was not just that: an act.

Originally Posted by skyhigh79
    I thought the whole Ali thing was a ploy to get ratings. I hate it when people use their famous family members to garner sympathy votes. This was just so staged. This is nothing like last year's Jerry Springer moment.
    If anything, last year's Jerry Springer's moment was worst because he said every week that he just wanted to learn the waltz to dance with his daughter at her wedding that people did not vote him out until then. And he was a much weaker dancer than Laila. I think she has everyright to have her father there, just like Ian had his 90210 crew and Joey his 'NSync crew.

Quote Originally Posted by MHcarrollton;2376280;
    I can see BRC's point his young daughter is in the audience and the judges just ream him for going out and trying. If they do not want crap, as they call it, dancers than test them ahead of time before they go on the show to make sure the differences in them are not so glaring.

As for Layla, my friend watches and than calls me and she is a dance teacher and she says Layla misses more moves than Ian, and that her moves are some of the simplest ones to hit. Also she says that Max is just a phenomenal dancer who cannot slow down for her and your eyes go to him which is very true. She also said that Julianne is an awesome choreographer and a good dancer which makes Apollo and her look good cause they can hit the same marks.

I think Apollo and Joey are the best of the stars and Max is by far the best of the professionals.

I have always felt that Laila was overrated. Initially she was good because her moves from boxing carried over. But I have seen no improvement at all and have not understood the judges scores.

As far as Max is concerned he the professional and it is his responsibility to teach his partner, in this case Laila. I do not think his style of teaching is getting through to her and he does not know how to adapt to her personality. It is not like a class of students to want to learn and know nothing. Laila has a very strong personality and you can tell that she wants to be in charge, be the boss and I think that is hindering her progress in dancing. It is a failure to communicate on both parts that is hurting this couple. Cheryl is also having a similiar communication problem with Ian, but overall I think she is a better instructor then Max and that is why she has been so successful in the previous two seasons.

Last night's paso was the first dance I have seen Juliane and Apolo do that I liked although I thought he did stumble. I cannot believe he is being given opportunities to do some acting roles he is as bland as vanilla. The man has no personality to speak of.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread