+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree549Likes

Thread: DWTS In The Media

Re: DWTS Media Thread

I read that too & was surprised & depressed by it.
    She seemed to have had a charmed life, but in reality, not so much. I'm glad things have gone & are going better for her now. Any type of abuse is hard to get past.

As to her relationship with Ryan Seacrest, if they make each other happy in their lives, that's what's important. Good for them.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

I was really floored by this news.

Again, none of us ever REALLY knows what goes on behind the scenes with these public persons.

I'm so sorry that happened to her, but happy for her that she seems to have exorcised her demons with regard to this and has moved on.

I hope she stays as happy with Ryan as she apparently is now. And if not him, than whoever it is that she's meant to be with long term.
    jucamer likes this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Just saw on Facebook that Holland America is going to have a new "Dancing with the Stars" feature on some of their cruises. Some of the pros who are participating include Mark Ballas and Kym Johnson. Here's a link.

Fortunately, I've tried Holland America and didn't care for it, so there's no chance I'll have to avoid a certain spats-wearing dancer on any of my upcoming Princess cruises!

Derek and Julianne are developing a TV dance drama:

Julianne and Derek Hough Prep Starz Ballroom Dancing Drama (Exclusive)
    The brother-sister pair tell THR that "Blackpool" will explore the darker side of ballroom dancing.

4:00 AM PST 2/26/2013 by Lacey Rose

Julianne and Derek Hough are delving into a world with which they’re familiar.

The brother-sister pair is developing a Starz scripted drama set in the world of competitive ballroom dancing, for which they will draw on years of first-hand experiences as competitors at the world championship level. Titled Blackpool, the drama effort will revolve around the prestigious annual ballroom competition in Blackpool, England, with a focus on the darker side of ballroom dancing.

“When you’re in the world, you’re so invested. It’s literally the be-all and end-all. But when you step back from it, you see that obsession with perfection and the fact that the lifestyle that you thought was so glamorous is actually a little shocking,” Julianne Hough says in an interview with The Hollywood Reporter. The comment comes mere weeks after Hough revealed in a Cosmopolitan cover story that she was a victim of physical and emotional abuse as a young dancer living in England.

Her brother, who appears on Dancing With the Stars, one of the many TV series that have capitalized on the interest in the dancing genre in recent years, makes clear that the series will push into particularly bleak areas of the sport. “What makes it so interesting is seeing all of the politics and the scandal," says Derek Hough. "It’s framed in the world of ballroom dancing, but the stories that are intertwined are of the partnerships and the sex and the love triangles.”

In addition to lending their own tales from the ultra-competitive world, the Houghs will serve as executive producers on the project as well as the head choreographers. At this time, they have no plans to appear on screen, though they do intend to be actively involved in the process of hiring and casting. Julianne, currently on an international press tour for her film Safe Haven, notes that she is currently meeting with potential writers in London.

The siblings acknowledge that this drama is something that they have toyed with bringing to the small screen for some time. They shopped it to a handful of networks but suggest that they were particularly struck by Starz CEO Chris Albrecht’s passion for it in the room. And while they have a deep well from which to draw from, they don't intend to make this an autobiographical tale. “We definitely want it to be fictionalized,” says Julianne. “We’re going to start with our experiences in the world and stories that we’ve either seen or gone through, but it'll be fun to be able to elaborate and fictionalize these characters."

It is worth noting that Starz -- still best known as a male-centric network -- is also developing a drama set in the world of ballet dancing from Pulp Fiction's Lawrence Bender and Breaking Bad co-executive producer Moira Walley-Beckett. The untitled female-driven entry will center on a young female ballet dancer named Claire with a troubled past who joins a ballet company in New York. The project, which is similarly billed as dark and gritty, will explore the dysfunctional underbelly of the ballet world.

Elsewhere in the premium cable network's development pipeline is a 1960s crime drama from The Departed's William Monahan; a sci-fi action thriller titled Incursion from Spartacus' Steven S. DeKnight; a potential Spartacus spinoff; and Turf, a drama about the birth of hip-hop from Patrick Macmanus.

Julianne, whose other on-screen credits include Footloose, Rock of Ages and the upcoming Diablo Cody film Paradise, is repped by CAA and Azoff, Geary, Paul, Smith Management; Derek, the only three-time champion in Dancing With the Stars' history, is repped by UTA and The Collective.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Julianne's beau is also developing a behind-the-scenes about the dance world (or some sort of competitio show-I can't remember exactly). I'm surprised the 3 of them wouldn't have collaborated on the same project, although I know Julianne has been offended when people say she's only going places because of him. So maybe that's why they're doing this differently.

Fascinating. The underbelly being exposed in public always makes for good drama.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

DWTS is being downsized next season.

Elsewhere, Dancing With the Stars’ traditional Tuesday results edition will be folded into the Monday night performance show.
    ABC Fall Schedule 2013 – - TVLine
    "The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one." ~Elbert Hubbard
    "Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product." ~Eleanor Roosevelt
    ~R.I.P. Grandma 6/22/33 - 10/5/10~

They did this on SYTYCD last season. It sounds confusing - like when do they announce the results, before or after they dance for votes - but, I bet after the first two non result rounds, they'll announce at the beginning of the show so the couple leaving won't have to dance for votes that evening.

I don't know how they are going to do it, but ABC must be tightening the belt on them to take away an hour from another night.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    They did this on SYTYCD last season. It sounds confusing - like when do they announce the results, before or after they dance for votes - but, I bet after the first two non result rounds, they'll announce at the beginning of the show so the couple leaving won't have to dance for votes that evening.

I don't know how they are going to do it, but ABC must be tightening the belt on them to take away an hour from another night.
    That's who did it!!! I was thinking DWTS did this before. I didn't like it on SYTYCD.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

They're retreating from the ongoing battle with The Voice, which was going to be in direct competition with both the Monday and Tuesday shows if they hadn't changed it. It's a survival move.

I wonder how voting will be affected -- all the casual overnight voters will fall by the wayside, leaving only the hardcore fans of each star who will be prepared with their smartphones/devices and PCs during the live show. But it might mean all those "vote for the worst" trolls will give up as well...

I can only imagine how rushed the show is going to seem next year...it's already a circus now.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

+ Reply to Thread