+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree549Likes

Thread: DWTS In The Media

Re: DWTS Media Thread

And in the final element of the competition on Tuesday, the three finalists perform a new routine in our "24 Hour Challenge" - in which they will have had 24 hours to pair their dance style of choice to music given to them after Monday night's show. This routine will be scored out of 30 and will round out the judges' scores across both nights.
    They did it again. They threw a "quickie" challenge into the finals! Why do they want the couples' last dance to be a half-assed one? Why can't the finalists get to catch a breath, and work on all their final dances for the whole week? It just kills me when any dance that's part of the finals looks thrown together or less than polished. This is when they should look their absolute best.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    They did it again. They threw a "quickie" challenge into the finals! Why do they want the couples' last dance to be a half-assed one? Why can't the finalists get to catch a breath, and work on all their final dances for the whole week? It just kills me when any dance that's part of the finals looks thrown together or less than polished. This is when they should look their absolute best.
    Basically the insta-dance except instead of 20 minutes they get 24 hours. Because it's the 'best, most competitive, closest season ever', and whoever writes those memos always makes it sound like it's such a huge deal that'll leave the viewers on the edge of their seats and wondering how they'll pull it off, when in reality it makes the viewers groan, makes for weaker dancing overall, and makes the judges more cranky and the couples more frustrated because they had so much to learn, so little time, and the judges and show play up all the so-called pressure. I think that's why I gave up caring about the best dancer and those who take it too seriously Maybe we should take bets how many times Tom will say 'the freestyle has often been the deciding dance between victory and defeat'. I think it's one of the most overrated rounds and that people already have their mind made up. Unless it really is a tight race like it was between Shawn and Gilles, but somehow I don't think the voting is that close with this group. Mark and Cheryl have had many, many seasons in the finals, but I haven't been impressed with any of their recent freestyles. Peta is a newbie so if hers bombs I'll give her a pass, she hasn't had as much experience.

For tomorrow, I don't know what Katherine's judges choice dance is, but William has the cha-cha and Donald the AT. William is first (it took all season but two weeks in a row he's going first), Katherine second, and Donald third. Karina tweeted she saw Katherine and Mark's freestyle and thought it was "hot". Me, I'm thinking it'll be another overdancing spectacle, but we'll see, maybe Mark will prove me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    For tomorrow, I don't know what Katherine's judges choice dance is, but William has the cha-cha and Donald the AT. William is first (it took all season but two weeks in a row he's going first), Katherine second, and Donald third. Karina tweeted she saw Katherine and Mark's freestyle and thought it was "hot". Me, I'm thinking it'll be another overdancing spectacle, but we'll see, maybe Mark will prove me wrong.
    A Mark freestyle: on part MJ, one part street mime, one part electric boogaloo/American Bandstand. If his partner can't keep up, he'll just do it himself while she stands around waving her arms dramatically.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post

According to this article Katherine will be performing the Paso Doble. Dancing with the Stars Season 14 Finale: Judges' Choice

I hope Mark does a traditional Paso and doesn't revert to the stupid martial arts theme he did on rock week. That was an epic fail.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Great article about Tom . . . and opinions I thoroughly agree with about the show, too!

Can the judges! Boot Brooke! But 'Dancing' can't lose Tom Bergeron
    Adam Taylor / ABC

Tom Bergeron
    By Ree Hines

The end of yet another season of "Dancing With the Stars" is upon us, and like others before it, it's had plenty of bad ballroom moments. Judges' scores often didn't match the dances. Results shows featured more filler than action. And one twist even took power away from the people who watch the show.

But it wasn't all bad. In fact, one part of this season -- and the others before it -- was perfect. That's because when it comes to fine form and show-saving service, host Tom Bergeron deserves all 10s.

Sure, Tom doesn't have to teach celebs to salsa, evaluate their moves or even hit the floor himself (except for that one time when he did just that), but that doesn't mean he's not able to carry the show when the other parts fall apart.

He is, after all, the best live-TV host in the biz (no offense to the also awesome Ryan Seacrest), and that means something.

This season it's meant defusing tension, wise-cracking through dull moments and even acting as the ballroom's always-appropriate father figure.

As for the tension, for a show chock-full of sequined costumes and spray tans, "Dancing" features as surprising amount of high-stress moments. Sometimes they're the result of problems on the panel (such as inequitable scoring) or grumpy pros (such as Maksim Chmerkovskiy after facing some of that inequitable scoring) and sometimes it's just the normal tension that comes with face-to-face critiques.

Regardless of the cause, Tom's there to save the day with his quick wit -- or in the case of moody Maks, he's there with a hop and camera-ready reaction when the pro gooses him (and mad or not, Maks always gooses him).

Back in week six, when head judge Len Goodman nitpicked William Levy's rumba for featuring too much side-to-side hip moves when what Len really wanted to see was "back and forth action," Tom didn't skip a beat before telling the audience "Later at home tonight, Len will be reading 'Fifty Shades of Grey.'"

Of course, some situations call for more than a quick zinger. Good thing Tom shines during the serious moments, too.

Longtime viewers will no doubt recall Tom's fast thinking back in the show's fifth season, when Marie Osmond passed out on stage. Tom knelt by her side, showed concern, maintained a calm demeanor for the audience and threw to a commercial as easily as if it had all been rehearsed.

This season, when "Dancing" queen Katherine Jenkins had her own panicked crisis following an injury on the dance floor, Tom was by her side and once again making sure all was well before getting back into the usual swing of the show.

Another rescue Tom deserves credit for was his role navigating the dreaded Dance Duel. This season's dance-off twist prevented the audience from having a say in the eliminations. Sure they were still encouraged to vote, but they could only help determine the bottom two pairs. The judges picked who would stay and who would go based on slap-dash duels.

Needless to say, many fans of the show weren't fans of the twist, and the pros and the stars felt much the same. But someone had to keep it moving and check in with the celebs after the judges delivered their Duel reviews. Normally the post-judge chatter goes to co-host Brooke Burke Charvet, who's often call the Brooke-bot due to her predictable questions made up largely of the line "How does that feel?" But Tom mixed it up when it was his turn.

"I know Brooke gets some heat for saying (that)," he told Entertainment Weekly. "I found myself treating it like it was a landmine. I didn't want to step on."

And he didn't. But that's Tom. He's always on his toes. And he's just as good out of the ballroom when he's out promoting the show.

When asked what fans could expect on "Dancing" in the future, he once deadpanned to Maximo TV: "Well, there will be more people getting spray tanned and dancing. Then there will be fewer of them every week. And at the end, somebody will win a little goofy trophy and go, 'Really?!'"

It's almost time to bring out that goofy trophy this season. But should the ballroom bosses decide to tweak the show's formula before returning for next season, here's hoping they realize that Tom's the one part of the show they should never change.

Quote Originally Posted by DancingDad View Post
    According to this article Katherine will be performing the Paso Doble. Dancing with the Stars Season 14 Finale: Judges' Choice

I hope Mark does a traditional Paso and doesn't revert to the stupid martial arts theme he did on rock week. That was an epic fail.
    Mark has put together some nice paso's before, it's just the overdancing, taking the spotlight away from his partner, gimmicks/props (which may be the producers insistance, so I can possibly cut him a break), and the faces. That was Katherine's lowest dance, correct? I guess it makes sense since I equate the judges pick with sort of a redemption arc. William had the cha cha week 1, so this can show how far he came from then. I thought Donald's AT was pretty darn good the first time, but the judges can't ever give him a break, so...

A Mark freestyle: on part MJ, one part street mime, one part electric boogaloo/American Bandstand. If his partner can't keep up, he'll just do it himself while she stands around waving her arms dramatically.
    Basically the freestyle round for Mark is a one man show. Maybe they do need some form of rules for that round (not that it'd really matter) I'm not exactly expecting great freestyles. Cheryl's seems predictable (the latin route) but maybe it won't be as bad as I'm thinking. Or I read her interview wrong, but it sounded like she was going for a salsa/samba inspired routine.

I really don't know what kind of a fanbase William has, but Len slamming him may actually favor him in people getting votes sent his way. I really hate the dance that goes on tomorrow that is still scored by the judges. The press release said 'out of 30' so I didn't know if they meant it was a ranking dance, where the judges rank the couple and they get either a 30, 29, or 28 added to their overall total. I don't see why they need that extra dance or scores thrown in; they should just give the final 3 a chance to relax and take a breather.

Depending how much time there is between 3rd place and the winner revealed, if Donald finishes 3rd, I may tune out if we still have a ways to go until the end. A William/Katherine final 2 is I one I care absolutely nothing about. I think that'll be the most forgettable final 2 in DWTS history for me. I'm hoping I'm wrong and Donald wins the whole thing, but I'm not overly confidant about it.

I'm in completel agreement with the above article. Tom is a must have and vital to the show. Brooke and the judges? They can ditch them. They really need to reel the judges in. Granted, I FF through them anymore, but they are just so cringe worthy and absolutely pointless to have on the show. They just don't serve any purpose, and it's more and more predictable how the scoring goes every season and who the designated favorites are. I am glad the dance duel received a backlash, although I won't count it out for the future. They may need it next season to save their darling Sabrina.

+ Reply to Thread