+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 247 FirstFirst 12345678910111252102 ... LastLast
Like Tree549Likes

Thread: DWTS In The Media

FORT Fogey
    I think Mario and Karina may not be dating but are intentionally leading the public on to boost publicity. True or not true, we are all talking about them....

According to the TV Guide, Max and Willa are now admitting they are a couple. And, while Mario and Karina are not admitting it, Max said they were and that it was obvious to him.

I thought this was an interesting article about DWtS 3, even if it didn't contain a lot of new info:

Dancing With the Stars Sambas To Hot Ratings
    'Dancing With the Stars' sambas to hot ratings
    November 14, 2006

With sexy moves, real-life sparks and soaring viewership, ABC’s dance contest has been a prime-time story all to itself.
    By Maria Elena Fernandez, Times Staff Writer

In a fall season of highfalutin serialized dramas, the most compelling soap opera on television has played out on the "Dancing With the Stars" ballroom floor.

Love — or its lusty cousin — has blossomed between partners Mario Lopez and Karina Smirnoff, partners Willa Ford and Maksim Chmerkovskiy, and an unidentified coupling co-host Samantha Harris will only allude to and giggle about.

Beauty queen Shanna Moakler got into a bar fight with Paris Hilton, of all people. Country singer Sara Evans had to quit because of trouble in her marriage. Daredevil Monique Coleman had a wardrobe malfunction (her bottom went whoops!) that etched itself as a season highlight for the ever-proper British judge Len Goodman. Teen heartthrobs Lopez and Joey Lawrence got verbal spankings for their breaking-all-the-rules ways. Tucker Carlson dazzled with his skillful chair-sitting routine. Jerry Springer — Jerry Springer! — got choked up when he was voted off the competition not because he wanted to stay but because he was overwhelmed by the kindness he had been shown during his seven-week stint.

And if that weren't enough, NFL legend Emmitt Smith can shimmy, shake and even waltz, earning him the nickname "Twinkle Toes." Tonight's finale at 8, which pits him against Lopez, nicknamed "Super Mario" for his flawless, passionate weekly renditions, promises to be the most intense competition this show has seen. The winner is picked by combining the judges' scores with viewers' phoned and e-mailed votes and will be announced Wednesday night.

"It's been so eventful that we haven't been able to keep up with it," executive producer Conrad Green said. "To be honest, we just read Us Weekly every week to find out what's going on on our own production. It's been really quite dramatic. And the best part of it is that this year the outcome is unpredictable."

What Green and ABC prefer to keep up with are the show's soaring ratings. With an average of 20 million viewers, "Dancing With the Stars" is the No. 1 reality series and the fourth most-watched show. In its third season, "Dancing" grew 8% in total viewers and 10% in the desirable 18-to-49-year-old demographic and ranks No. 9 among 18- to 49-year-olds who earn more than $100,000. The live television variety throwback also has grown into one of television's rare family hours, ranking third with children younger than 11 and 17th among teens, and it is a top 10 show among women in all of the key demographics.

"Our audience skews female, so maybe the boys have more of a chance," Green said, referring to last week's semifinal round in which, for the first time, three men — Lopez, Lawrence and Smith — were vying for tonight's finale spots. "They're good-looking, muscly boys with almost no clothes on. They stay in the competition longer."

Lopez, 33, Lawrence, 30, and Smith, 37, have surely delivered the goods. After scoring a three-way tie with the judges, Lawrence was voted off by viewers last week, leaving Lopez and Smith to duke it out. Both men will perform sambas and freestyle routines and, for the first time, a third number: Smith will dance a mambo while Lopez will do a pasodoble.

"It feels like a prizefight," said ABC President of Prime Time Entertainment Steve McPherson. "You have this model against the heavyweight champ in Emmitt Smith and, you know, it's really a neat thing to see." McPherson has personal experience. He learned to cha-cha over eight weeks with Edyta Sliwinska (Lawrence's partner) last spring to perform at the network's annual presentation to advertisers in New York.

"It's really a clash of the titans because each one of them has such strength individually," judge Bruno Tonioli said. "They've given such great performances that it makes our job very, very difficult because it's now going into the realm of whether I prefer blue or green. It doesn't mean green is a better color than blue."

Judge Carrie Ann Inaba agreed that it's all going to come down to individual taste tonight.

"They're very different characters because you've got Mario, who from Day One blew us away," she said. "Nobody expected that level of quality in his dancing. Then Emmitt coming out and not being the typical dancer, not becoming a ballroom dancer necessarily, but tapping into some other sort of natural grace that he's got."

No matter who goes home with the trophy, which host Tom Bergeron half-jokingly describes as "a little mirrored ball on a plastic stand with the show title Scotch-taped on it," the big winner this season seems to be the art of male ballroom dancing itself. Who could ever call this a girlie sport again after watching Smith's commanding yet elegant waltz and Lopez's potent tango?

"In England, a lot of the young boys play soccer and they always thought that dancing was a bit nansy-pansy, but when you boil it all down, you play soccer, you score a goal, and they all kiss each other," said Goodman. "

Proving that tough guys can dance was a priority for the three semifinalists. Lopez, who signed up for the show to please his mother, refused to wear rhinestones and sequins; his hyper-sexual chemistry with Smirnoff took care of the rest. In the beginning, Lawrence found some of the moves — pointing his toe or raising his pinkie — were tough to get right, or feel at ease with.

"You gotta get in touch with a whole different part of you," Lawrence said. "But when you embrace it, it actually feels very masculine to do that because it is very traditional in the sense that the man leads and does take control of the woman."

Three-time Super Bowl winner Smith said it was all about "letting go."

"You have to be comfortable within yourself and understand that for some of the dances, you have to learn different techniques. You have to let loose and let go and be comfortable letting go."

A happily married father of two, Smith joked about the "love fests" that had emerged and said he did not blame the attractive singletons around him. Co-host Harris agreed.

"You put two gorgeous, sexy, passionate people in a room together, locked up for hours a day, body to body, learning these dances," she said, "it's just human nature to fall for each other or have a tryst of some sort. And you know what? Enjoy."

In a way, only the producers are to blame for the love connections. Celebrities do not audition. They are interviewed and selected based on their personalities and the level of dancing skill producers perceive them to have. Complementary personalities are a factor when they match them with the dancing professionals, but more important are the aesthetics

"A lot of it is height; they need to look good together," co-executive producer Izzie Pick said. "You're matching for cohesion and for it to work as a partnership. It's like matchmaking."

Smith is the first to admit he "got real lucky" when he was paired with last year's champion, Cheryl Burke, 22, a top dancer and skillful choreographer.

Smirnoff, 28, is new to the competition this year. Though she and Lopez are reluctant to call themselves a couple, she spends a lot of time cooing "baby" to him off camera, and they are planning to "hibernate" for a week when the show is over "to catch up on sleep."

Springer, whom Bergeron referred to as "the heart and soul of the show," still wishes his partner, Kym Johnson, whom he grew to care for as a daughter, had been assigned a more talented partner.

"I was getting concerned that I was replacing far better dancers," Springer said. "But I was sad to leave because everyone was being incredibly nice to me. In 30 years on television, this is the first time I got to play myself and everyone was so nice. I wish everybody could have a few moments in life like that."

But even if Lopez and Smith do, only one will go home with the disco ball.

"One of the things I hope we never change is that in the context of this show there's something charming to me that all they're doing — all the hours, all of the bunions, all of the heartache, the exhaustion — is for bragging rights and the goofiest-looking trophy you're ever going to see," Bergeron said.

Maria.Elena.Fernandez@latimes. com
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy;2139122;
    Some reporter said "they said they were not an item, but you coulda fooled me".

On last week's show, Karina called Mario "honey". It was during the interview segment backstage with Samantha. Mario's face went from shocked to embarrassed, to angry, to holding in the anger, to trying to pretend nothing happened. It was priceless.

I have no idea of course, but just from that and body language and various other things/rumors, I'd say yes, they are, but he's not ready yet to confirm that. And I'd also say Karina just might give him a run for his money. Lol. He may have met his match.

On Larry King, by the way, they had Monica, Joey, Emmitt, and Mario was on remote camera somewhere. Joey was talking a mile a minute, a bit hyper. He said he began the show just to be able to dance well enough to dance with his wife and is looking forward to doing that, now. Mario and Emmitt will both do a Samba next week and both a freestyle dance. Mario will add a Paso Doble and Emmitt will add as his third dance, a Mambo.

Jerry was also interviewed, from Chicago and was funny as usual. (One joke he made: He said the producers told him not to do any splits or lifts. He said as if, and that the only splits he did all season were in his pants, when he bent over too far.
    Also Katrina stated that she was a bit perturbed by the editing showing Marioand her constantly embracing and kissing but it was just so obvious they were a couple. Don't think the relationship will last very long after the show, though.

The next season has been announced, but no word on who will be in it yet. Here's a snippet from a larger article, with just the part about DWtS.

Dancing With the Stars 4

Dancing With the Stars to Return in March

ABC's 'Dancing' machine to return
    By Georg Szalai

Nov 16, 2006

NEW YORK -- ABC is bringing back "Dancing With the Stars" in March in a time slot yet to be determined, while CBS is demonstrating its faith in new Monday comedy "The Class" by ordering additional episodes. Those were two news tidbits revealed Wednesday at a panel here organized by the International Radio & Television Society Foundation.

The IRTS Newsmaker Breakfast, titled "The Schedulers," also spent time discussing Fox's controversial two-part interview with O.J. Simpson, set to air Nov. 27 and 29 to end this month's sweep.

Mitch Metcalf, executive vp program planning and scheduling at NBC Entertainment, received questions about his network's recent focus on reality programming at 8 p.m. He emphasized that this is "not a hard rule. We believe you have to have a balance between reality and scripted shows."

ABC Entertainment executive vp Jeff Bader offered that "we all have thoughts like that, but we don't say it out loud." But he added that comedy, which has had a tough primetime run in recent years, still can work in the 8 p.m. slot.

He said his network is looking to bring back "Dancing" in March with the time period still being worked out as ABC is trying to figure out whether to run it opposite the "tsunami" that is Fox's "American Idol."

______________________________ ______________________________

So the wait begins for us to see who will be in next season...
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses;2144174;
    The next season has been announced, but no word on who will be in it yet. Here's a snippet from a larger article, with just the part about DWtS.

Dancing With the Stars 4

Dancing With the Stars to Return in March

ABC's 'Dancing' machine to return
    By Georg Szalai

Nov 16, 2006

NEW YORK -- ABC is bringing back "Dancing With the Stars" in March in a time slot yet to be determined, while CBS is demonstrating its faith in new Monday comedy "The Class" by ordering additional episodes. Those were two news tidbits revealed Wednesday at a panel here organized by the International Radio & Television Society Foundation.

The IRTS Newsmaker Breakfast, titled "The Schedulers," also spent time discussing Fox's controversial two-part interview with O.J. Simpson, set to air Nov. 27 and 29 to end this month's sweep.

Mitch Metcalf, executive vp program planning and scheduling at NBC Entertainment, received questions about his network's recent focus on reality programming at 8 p.m. He emphasized that this is "not a hard rule. We believe you have to have a balance between reality and scripted shows."

ABC Entertainment executive vp Jeff Bader offered that "we all have thoughts like that, but we don't say it out loud." But he added that comedy, which has had a tough primetime run in recent years, still can work in the 8 p.m. slot.

He said his network is looking to bring back "Dancing" in March with the time period still being worked out as ABC is trying to figure out whether to run it opposite the "tsunami" that is Fox's "American Idol."

______________________________ ______________________________

So the wait begins for us to see who will be in next season...
    Oh, they'd just be fools to pit it against American Idol. I'd never miss that show (AI) to watch anything else!!! We actually have AI party nights at our house, where we seat 6 friends to catcall and applaud the singers.

We'll have to miss the March shows, if they do that. ~sigh~
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Article from MSNBC about last night's winners show:

MSNBC Article Regarding Dancing With The Stars Winners

Smith's victory proves ‘Dancing's’ charm
    Mario Lopez was a ringer, yet football player still bested him

By Linda Holmes
    MSNBC contributor

The obvious way to look at Wednesday night’s finale of ABC’s “Dancing With The Stars” was as a showdown between football fans and “Saved By The Bell” fans. Who’s more devoted: people who watch games every Sunday afternoon, or people who watch bad comedy every Saturday morning? But in reality, the showdown between Mario Lopez and Emmitt Smith was nothing less than a battle for the show’s soul. Or, really, a battle for what would be the show’s soul if it had one. Emmitt’s victory hit the spot.

From the first week, it was obvious that Mario Lopez was a ringer. Even if you hadn’t seen him dance on shows like “Kids, Incorporated” and, yes, on “Saved By The Bell,” you would have known that this was not his first time on the dance floor, the way it was for a lot of the celebrities involved. Paired with the prickly Karina, Mario started to look like that kid in high-school theater who knows he’s going to get the lead and loves nothing more than making everyone else sit through his audition and doubt themselves. No amount of backstage dimple-flashing and trumped-up humility could ever quite wash away the strut. The kid thought it was in the bag.

Emmitt Smith, on the other hand, was exactly the kind of celebrity who can make this ridiculous show weirdly appealing. He wasn’t a clown, like Jerry Springer. He wasn’t an earnest failure, like Sara Evans. He had the rare combination of natural ability and a capacity and willingness to learn how to do something outside his comfort zone.

For all the talk about unscripted shows (this isn’t really “reality” in the “Survivor” sense) capitalizing on humiliating people, that isn’t really what “Dancing” is about when it’s fun. Well, okay, it was fun to see Tucker Carlson humiliated, but that’s because he’s Tucker Carlson, and he comes across like a bit of a windbag, and total ineptitude on the part of an unappealing person is entertaining.

Smith's victory proved show is still satisfyingly nutty
    When the show works, it’s because watching someone become good at something they don’t know how to do is satisfying, and watching them discover and develop a natural talent they didn’t know they had is even better. It seems like a lot of credit to give such a fundamentally silly enterprise (“Next up: Jerry Springer performs the paso doble and smashes a prop guitar!”), but it’s quite true: part of the fun is all the learning. The most auspicious thing Emmitt Smith said in the first episode was that he was used to being coached, and it turned out to be true. Emmitt worked hard, and he didn’t complain (much), and sure enough, he kept getting better.

Mario, on the other hand, seemed to see his coaching sessions mostly as opportunities to develop his love-hate relationship with Karina — which apparently went in the direction of “love,” given Tuesday night’s footage of what certainly appeared to be a few stolen smooches. Mario learned the steps for each dance, and his dances were often quite intricate. But there was not the sense that a guy who was not a dancer became a dancer.

That’s the peculiarly nutty fun of this particular show. You take someone who isn’t a dancer, and you see if you can make that person a dancer, and sometimes disaster strikes, and sometimes it doesn’t. That’s why people like Mario and last season’s Stacy Keibler aren’t quite as compelling as people like Emmitt and last season’s champion Drew Lachey. Looking at Mario in the first week, the logical reaction was, “Wow, Mario Lopez can dance.” But looking at Emmitt, the logical reaction was, “Wow, I can’t believe Emmitt Smith can dance.”

Wednesday night’s finale proved all these points all over again. When the two repeated chosen dances from Tuesday — Emmitt’s samba and Mario’s freestyle — it was clear that Mario’s dance was more technically advanced and probably more perfectly executed. But there wasn’t nearly as much of a gap between what he did and what you would expect him to be able to do as there was in Emmitt’s case. It is the busting of expectations that addicts people to the performances. Who knew Jerry Springer would be so warmly self-deprecating? Who knew Monique Coleman would get so emotional? Who knew Joey Lawrence was so creepy and intense?

There were endless recaps of the season, in which we saw over and over that Mario nailed basically every dance he was given, only taking real hits when he hammed up dances like the quickstep and the tango and was clipped for breaking the rules. Emmitt, on the other hand, was the purest of underdogs. He started out surprisingly promising, took a stumble or two, kept working, and eventually got to be good.

Friends and family in interviews continued to feed the same dynamic. Emmitt’s friends — including fellow football players Troy Aikman and Roger Staubach — were just amazed to see Emmitt able to dance well. Mario’s friends, including “Desperate Housewives” star Eva Longoria and “Showgirls” and fellow “Saved By The Bell” alum Elizabeth Berkeley, were amazed at Mario’s skill level. In fact, Berkeley thought Mario could make it to Broadway. Nobody was suggesting Emmitt was going to Broadway. They were only suggesting he would be by far the most awe-inspiring dancer in any room full of football players — and in most rooms full of people who weren’t born dancers.

When the two pairs talked about their affection for each other, it became even clearer that Emmitt needed to win. Mario and Karina were so busy being coy about their budding relationship that they barely said anything of substance, and Mario did nothing but flash that oddly blank grin as he talked about his affection for her. Emmitt and Cheryl, on the other hand, talked warmly about their bond. At 37, Emmitt is quite a bit older than 22-year-old two-time champion Cheryl, and he brought her to tears when he thanked her, simply and straightforwardly, for being such a good teacher and such a good friend. Who wouldn’t love that?

In the end, the audience was in control. The judges maneuvered themselves to a tie on Tuesday night, so it was all about the popular vote, and the popular vote crowned Emmitt and Cheryl. In all likelihood, nobody who voted was unaware that in a technical dance-off, Mario would beat Emmitt. Emmitt, however, did what the show asks of its celebrities. He started out not knowing what he was doing, and he learned. And sometimes he looked silly, and sometimes he fell down in practice, but he kept going. Strangely enough, that’s really what the audience is looking for. It’s a popularity contest, and Emmitt probably wouldn’t have won without a great deal of personal charm. But he also won because he had going for him the one thing that rescues this show from being completely stupid: he taught himself something difficult.

A few weeks ago, Emmitt said of his efforts on the show, “A real man tries to do something he thinks he cannot do.” In that sense, he got what he came for, and the show got a surprisingly satisfying ending. Besides, never bet against the football fans.

Linda Holmes is a writer in Bloomington, Minn.
    © 2006 MSNBC Interactive

Another item from MSNBC regarding last night's show. This one gives a short blurb on 5 persons from DWtS: Emmitt, Cheryl, Mario, Karina, and Bruno. I'm sharing them because I think they're humorous and provide a good summation of these 5 people from the show.

Emmitt Smith
    A victory for the regular Joe:
    Aw, Emmitt Smith! From the first week, when he did a blissful, upbeat cha-cha to “Son Of A Preacher Man,” it’s been easy to root for Emmitt, with his warm smile, good cheer, surprising talent, and impressive physicality. In the finale, viewers learned that in the crazy popularity contest that constitutes winning this show, sometimes it’s more important to be likable than it is to be perfect, and that sometimes, the underdog actually prevails. Emmitt was adorable, but he also really got to be a good dancer, and he’s likely to be showing a lot of other football players a thing or two for years to come.

Cheryl Burke
    Two in a row:
    There was another champion besides Emmitt on Wednesday night –- Cheryl Burke, who also won last year paired with the very different Drew Lachey. It’s easy to take the professional dancers for granted, but in addition to serving as teachers, they do the choreography, and it was clear at times that Cheryl had very carefully and effectively planned the dances to showcase Emmitt’s strengths and minimize everything else. She learned that he could wiggle and float, and she didn’t forget. The pros don’t always get the credit they deserve, but in this case, Cheryl did a fine job pulling in the trophy for her team.

Mario Lopez
    Farewell, Dimples:
    Mario Lopez was the man to beat all season, just like Emmitt said. Cocky, pretty, talented, and at the center of a tabloid-ready apparent romance with partner Karina, he looked like a sure thing. But somehow, something about Mario always seemed vaguely untrustworthy. He had a teacher’s-pet-like way of seeming like he was sucking up to the audience even when there was no reason to. His Eddie Haskell approach was too much most of the time, and while he was always technically proficient, he wasn’t likable in the same way Emmitt was. Back to “Saved By The Bell” reunion movies!

Karina Smirnoff
    Sucking on a lemon:
    Karina Smirnoff is a wonderful dancer, but she has a sour disposition. Her sparring with Mario started off funny (like when they went boxing together), but it quickly turned into shtick, and often, she just acted unpleasant. Worst of all, after Emmitt’s victory was announced, she was asked how she felt about her experience and spit out something that sounded an awful lot like a declaration that America had gotten it wrong and that Mario was the better dancer. It’s considered bad form to be a sore loser on a silly celebrity show, so she might want to rein that in.

Bruno Tonioli
    Calm yourself:
    During the endless rehashing of the season during the finale, one thing became quite clear: Judge Bruno Tonioli needs to calm down and stop engaging in wordplay. Every other clip seemed to show him leaping out of his seat, hollering something allegedly clever (“The beauty queen turned into the ice queen!” “Super Mario!”), to the point where it became absurd. The judges don’t do all that much on this show, especially once they start giving nothing but 9s and 10s, so if Bruno wants to keep his job next season, he would be well served to improve the ratio of substance to yelling.
    ______________________________ __________________

I agree with all those comments, especially the one about Bruno.

I bummed....

I missed Emmitt and Mario tonight on the late show (Conan I think).....did anyone catch it?

And in response to someone's post (my mind just went blank )......I've had enough of NFL players on the show......its too hard for anyone to overcome their fanbase when it comes to voting. So unless DWTS comes up with actors that are currently as big as stars as the athlete, then I'm not interested.

Something I found out this season.......they don't pay the stars....sure limits who would be available to participate.

Nemeses: What wonderful articles you found and posted! Thanks so much; I really enjoyed reading them.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

+ Reply to Thread