+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree549Likes

Thread: DWTS In The Media

Re: DWTS Media Thread

Yahoo! Video Detail for 'DWTS': Final 3 Discuss Hope Solo's Exit, Finals

I was watching this and now have "Jump in the Line" stuck in my head (along with Beetlejuice flashbacks). Also, was I the only one thinking of the Sofia Vargara Pepsi commercial when Hope and Maks were dancing the AT to Whatever Lola Wants?

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by TIA__MA View Post
    Yahoo! Video Detail for 'DWTS': Final 3 Discuss Hope Solo's Exit, Finals

I was watching this and now have "Jump in the Line" stuck in my head (along with Beetlejuice flashbacks). Also, was I the only one thinking of the Sofia Vargara Pepsi commercial when Hope and Maks were dancing the AT to Whatever Lola Wants?
    The last time Karina danced a samba to that song was when she was partnered with Steve Wozniack. What a mess Steve couldn't dance for squat so he wound up doing the worm. He received the second lowest score any couple has ever received on the show. The judges totally blasted him for it, but he and Karina wound up being saved the next night. Karina was cute. Her mouth dropped out, she jumped and screamed...that's when she and Maks were engaged and they were standing next to each other onstage. You could see Maks reach over and hug them both. Good times. I also think that was the last season where they had all couples onstage during the eliminations and called them out one by one, instead of doing the stupid in jeopardy crap they do now.

Speaking of that commercial, I know he's too A-list, but I'd love to see David Beckham do the show.

FORT Fogey

I wonder if the remarks made by Hope/Maks and Chaz/Lacey might make it harder to recruit stars (or at least some stars) for upcoming seasons, especially on top of what happened the season before with Ralph and Karina and the infamous pussy remark, among other things. It's a lot of work to be on the show, at least for the stars who take it at all seriously, and if it's not going to be a good experience for them, or they think that it might not be, I'd think they'd be less inclined to agree to be contestants, especially if they feel they might be criticized not just about their dancing but their body types or how easily they fit the judges' notions of feminine/masculine. Or even the degree to which the judges feel they've been working hard. I did think Len was out of line when he told Hope he didn't think she was working hard enough, because there had been no indication that she wasn't working hard enough--she just isn't a natural dancer, so the hard work wasn't necessarily netting a much better performance. In fact, her insistence on doing things over and over again until she got them right might have just fed her frustration and made her dance worse.

If it turns out that ABC or DWTS is also freezing contestants out of interviews to control the show's image, that might also resonate negatively with any future contestants who don't want to be prevented from speaking their minds. I have a hard time picturing Kirstie Alley, for instance, being very happy if she had been pushed out of a post-show interview she'd expected to do because DWTS was afraid of what she might say.
    karalott, Minney and TIA__MA like this.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    Since Derek's won every season he's one, I'm guessing him and either Cheryl or Lacey (aside from Chelsie and Julianne, they are the only female pros to ever win). If they do like previous years and have multiple winners, no idea who it could be. I'm guessing for the other male pro Maks or Tristan.
    Didn't Kym win with both Donny Osmond and Hines Ward, and deservedly so? I love both Kym and Cheryl, both of whom won twice. Cheryl should have won a third time with Gilles.

Or am I misunderstanding what you wrote, karalott, about the female winners?
    karalott and Fanny Mare like this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Didn't Kym win with both Donny Osmond and Hines Ward, and deservedly so? I love both Kym and Cheryl, both of whom won twice. Cheryl should have won a third time with Gilles.

Or am I misunderstanding what you wrote, karalott, about the female winners?
    I was referring to the Design A Dance, which Derek has won every time (except last season)
    Last edited by karalott; 11-16-2011 at 07:47 PM.
    Florimel likes this.

Women's World Cup star Hope Solo exits 'DWTS' leaving her partner rooting for his ex

Women's World Cup star Hope Solo exits 'DWTS' leaving her partner rooting for his ex
    | More Print
    3:30 PM, November 16, 2011 ι By New York Post

LOS ANGELES -- Bad-boy hoofer Maksim Chmerkovskiy and his partner, soccer star Hope Solo, got the hook Tuesday night on “Dancing with the Stars” after a week of open warfare with the show’s judges.

And now that he has been eliminated, Chmerkovskiy says he’s got yet another problem.

The hot-tempered dancer wants to see Iraq war veteran and soap actor J.R. Martinez take home the mirror-ball trophy, which means also rooting for Martinez’s dance partner -- Chmerkovskiy's ex-fiancee, Karina Smirnoff.

Despite working together on the same show, the rugged Ukranian Chmerkovskiy told the New York Post that the couple have not spoken in the two years since their relationship blew up.

“If J.R. doesn’t win, there is something fundamentally wrong with America,” Chmerkovskiy said.

“I think J.R. deserves it,” he added. “It is his right to walk into ‘Dancing with the Stars’ and walk away with the trophy. But on top of all of that, he is a great dancer.”

Martinez suffered burns over 40 percent of his body while serving in the US Army in 2003. He was later cast on “All My Children” as a returning vet.

“You have to embrace the fact that after 13 seasons, it hasn’t always been a dance competition,” Chmerkovskiy said. “Therefore, J.R. needs to win this thing.”

Chmerkovskiy, 31, admitted that there is plenty of “bad blood” between him and Smirnoff, to whom he proposed on New Year’s Day 2009. The couple split up nine months later because they couldn’t agree on whether to have children, according to reports.

“I will never speak to that person again,” he said of Smirnoff, 33. “And I never have. It has been years now. But I am not bitter.”

Working side by side on a weekly TV series is “not easy,” Chmerkovskiy admitted. “But I just go about my business and do my thing. It is very hard.”

Meanwhile, Chmerkovskiy and Solo took issue with their scores all season -- leading to open and public feuds with the judges.

In October, Chmerkovskiy declared that “Dancing with the Stars” was “his show” after earning a low score and suggested that “maybe it’s time” for judge Len Goodman to step down.

On Monday, he told reporters, “I think [judge] Carrie Ann [Inaba] has an issue [with us]. I don’t know what it is, but I would love to know so we can address it.”

Solo added, “[The judges] have wanted to get us off since day one.”
    So I guess if Karina was reaching for someone's hand, it wasn't Maks's, though he looked down at that moment. Maybe she did grab it by accident I feel for Maks as he obviously is still hurt; and it's a shame that 15+ years of friendship was over because of a relationship that barely lasted a year. But, for those that were hoping he'd have a fit at Karina winning, at least he's big about it and rooting for J.R. They seem pretty friendly.

Didn't see this posted anywhere - a tweet from Maks

Would never disrespect fans by not doing press! Was told not to. And would have loved to be on Kimmel or GMA! Y'all know I like speaking

If Maks isn't on next season I won't be there either - I am done with this phony baloney crap - he was the only one to stand up for what everyone else knows - the judges have their favorites and no amount of fan voting will change the outcome that they want
    karalott, Minney, GabbyG and 3 others like this.

Maks' tweet was up this afternoon, now it's gone. Pressure from tptb?

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama View Post
    Maks' tweet was up this afternoon, now it's gone. Pressure from tptb?

Hmmm really?? It was on my FB page they must have made him take it down earlier tonight.

+ Reply to Thread