+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree549Likes

Thread: DWTS In The Media

Re: DWTS Media Thread

I was thinking...I know the extra 15 points helped but what if they still didn't get enough votes and honestly lost?!!? And the producers but them through anyway? It wouldn't surprise me. It's not like they have had to show the actual results to anyone.
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

It's puzzling to me: shows are ratings driven and the producers should want the fans happy. If the fans don't want a couple on the show anymore, why are tptb determined to keep them on? This has turned one of my favorite seasons ever into one of my least favorite. I don't know if I've ever felt so disgusted about a show. This can't have been a goal for the producers.
    I've heard that Mark is popular and has lots of fans. If that's the case, why would they need to rig the competition so that he could make the finals? I hope that those of you who are angry as I am have let ABC know through their contact page on the web-site. Maybe they'll listen - or maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama View Post
    I've heard that Mark is popular and has lots of fans. If that's the case, why would they need to rig the competition so that he could make the finals? I hope that those of you who are angry as I am have let ABC know through their contact page on the web-site. Maybe they'll listen - or maybe not.
    Exactly, and I think this has been a point of many. If Mark and Chelsea were such a popular team, why need the WTA dance? Just because something is planned does NOT mean it has to be undertaken.

I think the producers hoped that saying it was planned all season was a way to excuse what is being clearly seen as a way to guarantee the Disney star makes the final three (as did Kyle last season, but he EARNED it with fan votes obviously).

As far as CA being hurt? - IMHO, she needs to put her big girl britches on. They all have been criticized for their comments, and in cases like this rightfully so. If they do something they love, we'll lavish them with praises (which is probably why Tom tends to get the most praise). No one can tell me that what Mark and Chelsea did was a cha-cha - it was a free the moment they added hip-hop and swing dance steps into it. If ANY other dancer pulled the stunts this duo did in their cha-cha in theirs (ex. if Hines swung Kym through his legs), they'd been told off about it, especially from CA.

Love_Me, in regards to the new "troll" nickname, yes, apparently it's fairly new. Troll tends to be used nowadays as being a persona non-grata, or someone people really don't want to see yet stay anyway. Mark and Chelsea are a duo that the fans do NOT want to see anymore, yet there have been things such as production keeping the WTA dance in there to guarantee they made it to the finals.

It's puzzling to me: shows are ratings driven and the producers should want the fans happy. If the fans don't want a couple on the show anymore, why are tptb determined to keep them on? This has turned one of my favorite seasons ever into one of my least favorite. I don't know if I've ever felt so disgusted about a show. This can't have been a goal for the producers.
    Here's my thinking on this, and I could obviously be way off base. I think the producers do want the fans to decide the winner - more people watching means more revenue dollars, which is really what it is all about. The disaster of last season, however, showed that there are people voting who weren't watching the show. There has been speculation that this is going on again this year - with regard to Hines specifically, as I have seen multiple places where they talk about Steeler fans and/or football fans in general calling in to vote without watching the show. While I can't stand the troll this season, I will give credit to Chelsea, she is a good dancer. I think the producers, and a vocal portion of the fanbase want to make sure the ending is at least credible. While I don't always vote for the "best" dancer, I have to concede that most seasons (last season being the glaring exception), the "best" dancers have made it to the finale. Last season, because of so many non-watchers voting, that didn't happen. So while I hate the blatant manipulation, IF this is why they are doing it - and if they can show me that there are a ton of non-watchers voting, then maybe I can understand it. BUT, if this is the issue, then why not impose changes to the voting system - for example, the suggestion I have seen multiple times is change the call in numbers each week. That they don't do that - and that the voting is open for everyone as soon as the show starts, says they don't care about the "fairness" aspect of it - which is what makes me question the whole reasoning behind the WTACC - because it is inconsistent with other parts to this show.

My cynical mind says they are targeting the younger demographic more and more. They lost Julianne and they lost Derek. To keep Mark, they made him a deal that would at least get him to the finale. Whether the deal included him winning his third mirrorball, we shall see on Tuesday. I 100% believe that if there is no manipulation, Hines will win this. If there is, then the troll will have his third mirrorball.

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    Here's my thinking on this, and I could obviously be way off base. I think the producers do want the fans to decide the winner - more people watching means more revenue dollars, which is really what it is all about. The disaster of last season, however, showed that there are people voting who weren't watching the show. There has been speculation that this is going on again this year - with regard to Hines specifically, as I have seen multiple places where they talk about Steeler fans and/or football fans in general calling in to vote without watching the show. While I can't stand the troll this season, I will give credit to Chelsea, she is a good dancer. I think the producers, and a vocal portion of the fanbase want to make sure the ending is at least credible. While I don't always vote for the "best" dancer, I have to concede that most seasons (last season being the glaring exception), the "best" dancers have made it to the finale. Last season, because of so many non-watchers voting, that didn't happen. So while I hate the blatant manipulation, IF this is why they are doing it - and if they can show me that there are a ton of non-watchers voting, then maybe I can understand it. BUT, if this is the issue, then why not impose changes to the voting system - for example, the suggestion I have seen multiple times is change the call in numbers each week. That they don't do that - and that the voting is open for everyone as soon as the show starts, says they don't care about the "fairness" aspect of it - which is what makes me question the whole reasoning behind the WTACC - because it is inconsistent with other parts to this show.

My cynical mind says they are targeting the younger demographic more and more. They lost Julianne and they lost Derek. To keep Mark, they made him a deal that would at least get him to the finale. Whether the deal included him winning his third mirrorball, we shall see on Tuesday. I 100% believe that if there is no manipulation, Hines will win this. If there is, then the troll will have his third mirrorball.
    I moved this over from another thread:

I have a couple of conspiracy theories about Mark Ballas:

The producers want Mark to move on from DWTS and know that he will only leave on his own after he receives his third mirror ball trophy so they are helping to make that happen.

OR

He has some blackmail-type photos of Conrad Green which will only be returned after the third mirror ball trophy is hoisted high above Chelsea's head.

OR

Mark and his family have a special contract with ABC. If he leaves on his own, they don't need to buy out the remainder of his contract. However, if they try to get rid of him, then they need to pay a huge sum as severance. See first theory above about how TPTB are helping him to leave on his own.

ETA: If they are going for the younger demographic, then they need some new advertisers for sure. While I fast forward through most of the commercials, those that do run tend to be targeted towards women in their late 20s to early 40s.

The funny thing is, ratings have been very high on this show. The comments that have been made by Mark and whatshername say that they need togo outside the box to keep it fresh and new to keep the fans interested. Do you think we aren't interested in the people who follow the rules? How come the rule-followers get more votes than you do?????
    Honestly, I don't get it. I've watched every season and I far prefer the dances that at least follow the rules. The Marks and Laceys who think they can't do technical, traditional ballroom or it will be boring - I think they must've been dropped on their heads when they were young. Part of the charm for me is to see couples take on the challenge of doing creative, beautiful, dancing within the structure of the actual style of dance. It's immature and a cop-out, to me, to do otherwise. (Or to insinuate that we're tired of the dancing style that the other couples do.)
    Remember what a fan favorite Romeo and Chelsie's foxtrot was? Totally traditional, totally engaging - and they were the youngest couple on the show!

I really don't see why the younger demographic is so important to them in this economy or this day and age. The people I know with disposable income are people in the over 50 crowd. They like to spend it too. It's not like you're over the hill anymore like maybe 50 years ago. I find the spending habits of older people to be similar to younger people as people tend to be perpetual adolescents these days, lol. The TV producers think they are so important as to totally disregard everyone else and dismiss them. The thing is just because you are over 50 does not mean you need a walk in bathtub, some kind of alert necklace, Depends, etc. I'm sick of that it's so insulting to the older generation I mean if they were referencing 90 year olds there might be a case for that but with people living longer and being more active along the way I think this younger take all mentality has to change as far as the value of demographic goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobi View Post
    I really don't see why the younger demographic is so important to them in this economy or this day and age. The people I know with disposable income are people in the over 50 crowd. They like to spend it too. It's not like you're over the hill anymore like maybe 50 years ago. I find the spending habits of older people to be similar to younger people as people tend to be perpetual adolescents these days, lol. The TV producers think they are so important as to totally disregard everyone else and dismiss them. The thing is just because you are over 50 does not mean you need a walk in bathtub, some kind of alert necklace, Depends, etc. I'm sick of that it's so insulting to the older generation I mean if they were referencing 90 year olds there might be a case for that but with people living longer and being more active along the way I think this younger take all mentality has to change as far as the value of demographic goes.
    I agree.

Yes. I am also insulted and disgusted with their behavior and I sent ABC an email telling them so and why. I dont' know if it will make any difference, but it made me feel better. It's really sickening and makes me not want to watch it anymore.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Daily News Releases

SEASON FINALE

WHO WILL TAKE HOME THE COVETED MIRROR BALL TROPHY -- THE EMMY AWARD-WINNING ACTRESS, THE DISNEY CHANNEL STAR OR THE SUPER BOWL MVP ? -- ON THE SEASON'S
    FINAL EPISODES OF "DANCING WITH THE STARS" ON THE ABC TELEVISION NETWORK

Six-Time Grammy-Winning Global Music Superstars The Black Eyed Peas Perform
    "Don't Stop the Party" Live in an Exclusive Television Premiere

The Go-Go's Reprise Their Fan Favorite Hit, "We Got the Beat,"
    As Part of Macy's Design-a-Dance

Country Star/"DWTS" Alum Sara Evans Returns to the Ballroom

"Episode 12010 & 12010A - After 10 weeks of electrifying performances, heartbreaking eliminations and shocking moments of the most intense competition in 12 seasons, Kirstie Alley, Chelsea Kane and Hines Ward will have one last chance to shine before the "Dancing with the Stars" champions are crowned. Next week, Season 12's three finalists will try to impress the judges and viewers and emerge the victors on two final nights of dancing, MONDAY, MAY 23 (8:00-9:01 p.m., ET), concluding on the Season Finale, TUESDAY, MAY 24 (9:00-11:00 p.m., ET) on ABC.

In the final one-hour performance show on MONDAY, MAY 23 (8:00-9:01 p.m., ET), the couples will compete in two dances. The first number, the Judges' Choice, is the style that the judges have determined to be the one each couple showed promise in and could now excel at based on hours of practice and performance. Then all three contenders will perform their fan favorite Freestyle dances.

The anticipation builds and competition continues for the two-hour Season Finale on TUESDAY, MAY 24 (9:00-11:00 p.m., ET), as the three finalists perform their own favorite dance of the season and are ranked by the judges.
    In addition, each of this season's 11 couples returns to the dance floor for a special performance. All of the excitement and frenzy will lead up to the moment we've been waiting for - who among the three finalists will reign as champions of "Dancing with the Stars" and take home the coveted mirror ball trophy?

Also on Tuesday's spectacular Season Finale, one the best-selling, most popular and most innovative groups in over a decade, The Black Eyed Peas, will perform the exclusive television premiere of their new single, "Don't Stop the Party," live.

For the first time in a "DWTS" Season Finale, Macy's Stars of Dance presents the Macy's Design-a-Dance fan favorite Jive song pick, "We Got the Beat," to be performed live in the ballroom by the Go-Go's. The winning "DWTS" pro dancers and concept will also be revealed Tuesday night. This will be the band's first television performance together in over five years and kicks off a spectacular summer of events celebrating the 30th anniversary of the Go-Go's debut, history-making album, "Beauty and the Beat."

Country music star/"DWTS" Season 3 alum Sara Evans returns to the ballroom floor after having to withdraw from the competition. Having made a huge comeback, Sara's new RCA Nashville album, "Stronger," was released March 8 and scored back-to-back weeks at No. 1 on Billboard's Top Country Albums chart.
    I think the judges choice dance is interesting. In the past, when they did a judges choice, it was a repeat dance style the judges thought they could improve on since the first attempt didn't go so well. Yet I thought Hines said he's doing the quick step? I think that's been one of his best dances all season. I wonder if they'll let Chelsea/Mark redeem themselves on either their rule breaking jive or their non-rule breaking (according to Mark) VW. Kirstie mentioned wearing her week 1 cha cha outfit again, so I'm wondering if that'll be their repeat dance Tuesday. I hate the stupid judges ranking, and this season of all seasons doesn't need anymore scoring controversy after last week. Also, why pick this season to do DAD during the finale? Seems odd, though I usually tune it out. Anna tweeted she wasn't voted to perform in it, though that's not a huge surprise. I'm guessing Mark, and either Chelsie, Lacey, or Cheryl.

+ Reply to Thread