+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree550Likes

Thread: DWTS In The Media

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: DWTS Media Thread

Maksim Chmerkovskiy Compares Production of ‘Dancing With the Stars’ to ‘American Idol’ - OK! Magazine - The First for Celebrity News

Maksim Chmerkovskiy Compares Production of ‘Dancing With the Stars’ to ‘American Idol’
    May 17th, 2011 7:00 pm / Author: rlevine SHARE
    The “bad boy of ballroom” does not keep his feelings to himself! Dancing with the Stars pro Maksim Chmerkovskiy told reporters last night exactly what he thought of the production process on the show.

“Production is the hardest thing. Seriously, it’s the fact that you have 10 billion interviews and 40,000 pickup lines and packages in the music and has to start here and finished there,” Maksim explained. “I feel like this season has been, personally, the hardest season I’ve ever had because everything has become ‘let’s be American Idol,’ and we are and that’s amazing, but it’s a form of entertainment and I feel that sometimes how producers forget that they are not dancers.”

“Throw me in and tell me I have to do 10 numbers by tomorrow and I have to be all different and all this way and I will do it, no problem,” he added. “But these people are trying to focus on going forward with their left and someone is pulling them away to do a interview, or saying ‘stand here, say it again because there was no passion,’ what f**king passion, I am forgetting my steps. So that’s the hardest part.”

While talking about last night’s Cha-Cha Challenge, Maks thought that the challenge was a good idea.

“I think it’s a good idea to give the opportunity for better dancers that may not have as big a fan base to get a chance into the finals. I wish we had that last season with Brandy, but…. It’s all good. I compared Kirstie [Alley] and feel we actually held our own. It was a great cha-cha and it felt good.”

But he did admit it’s hard when you have three judges with three different opinions.

“Unless you have three ballroom judges you don’t really have a fair comparison. I mean, it’s a matter of preference. I think that Carrie-Ann [Inaba], no matter what, would prefer somebody like Chelsea [Kane] over us because we are very technical and Chelsea is very flashy, so like you said, it’s a matter of preference. I don’t mind the outcome at all.”

Dancing With the Stars DWTS Ralph Macchio eliminated semifinals results show | Season 12 Episode 17 | EW.com

'Dancing With the Stars' recap: Maks On, Wax Off
    Three couples head into next week's season 12 finals; Stevie Nicks performs
    By Annie Barrett | Published May 18, 2011

To no one's surprise, the karate kid who earned 25 less points than the leader during Monday's semifinals was sent home on week 9 of Dancing With the Stars. Ralph Macchio, a fountain of enthusiasm and youth, returned to his family just like he made a point to do after every Hollywood job in the '80s. Throughout his exit interview, I kept gazing up at the three sad blondes onstage (Kym, Kirstie, Chelsea), who were clearly genuinely crushed to see him go.

Ralph definitely loved being on Planet Mirrorballus, but after the judges' tepid response to his efforts this week, it seemed like he was ready to leave. I liked how he brought up his week 1 dance ("the place erupted," awww) instead of his recent, more troubling experiences, and I loved how Karina acknowledged that she'd had a blast this season. She totally did, and Ralph is to thank. He's a perfect DWTS contestant to me: Fun, nerdy, clueless about the ballroom, and dying to be there. Loved this couple.

Ralph may not have been the strongest dancer, but his fans will likely believe that Monday night's Winner Takes All Cha-Cha (which awarded 15 extra points to Chelsea and Mark) was the twisted knife at play in Ralph's demise. I learned today that the WTACC had been planned before season 12 had even begun, and was instituted as a direct result of early exits by talented dancers such as Brandy and Sabrina Bryan. So apparently even if the producers didn't want to put a specific couple ahead this week, the WTACC would have happened anyway. Weird!
    For the more succinct version of the above paragraph, here's Karina after the show: “[The judges] said everything besides the actual words, ‘we don’t want you in the finale.'"
    So I guess it makes me wonder-if the producers planned something but decided not to use it, would they still be able to get out of it or would they have to do it? This in reference to the 'winner take all' dance happening regardless of whether or not they wanted a certain couple in the finals over Ralph. I'll stick with the conspiracy they wanted Ralph out, given the negative attitude towards him Monday and everything being so lovey to everyone else. Last season may have been more of a disaster of one of the worst dancers ever overstaying her welcome, but it's not the first time that has happened, nor will it be the last. So why put this challenge in place now? Why do a dance off 3 and 4 seasons after Sabrina Bryan? That really only resulted in saving one bad dancing couple. I think they make the rules up as they want the season to happen. Makes me wonder if the producers have felt any heat over that. Another thing-why 15 points? That's what seemed odd to me was how many points were being given out, and why it seemed like they knew just how many points someone needed to make it over another. I don't even think the marathon dances or the judges ranked dance in the second night of the finals gave more than 10 points to the top couple.

This is why the producers should stop making format changes like this in general -- they are applying a solution one year in response to the previous year's problem. Why did they think they would need the winner-take-all this year, when they already solved last year's problem by not casting someone nearly as polarizing (or green) as Bristol? They made sure that it was an even playing field from week one. It just doesn't make sense that they still thought they would need to throw this wrench into the semi-finals. They ended up doing more harm than good.

The show is a popularity content, it always will be. They already give the judges' scores more weight in the finals, they should just make sure that the viewer voting system isn't corruptible, and live with America's decisions.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

FORT Fogey

So basically again just like with the soaps on ABC, they are giving fans the big middle finger and saying you do not matter to us. I thought this was supposed to be a viewer participation show, and now they are saying what we stink at our participation so you who breads our butter away with you? ABC really has a lousy business format. I truly believe if Disney was not in their arsenol they would be out with the leadership they have now. They truly do not care one iota about their fans.

Their loyal soap fans had a protest, and the Head of Daytime supposedly came out and laughed at them. What a way to treat us, laugh at us, and cancel out our participation in a viewer vote show. I am guessing this is the beginning of the end for this show.

All that article says to me is that Chelsea and Mark needed saving... we know and they know it... and yet they are still acting so cocky like it's the fans that got them there Just one more think to irk me about them!
    I hate to brag but I tried on some earrings that I wore in highschool... and they still fit
    Proud member of the Rose Coloured Glasses Club

Quote Originally Posted by MHcarrollton View Post
    So basically again just like with the soaps on ABC, they are giving fans the big middle finger and saying you do not matter to us. I thought this was supposed to be a viewer participation show, and now they are saying what we stink at our participation so you who breads our butter away with you? ABC really has a lousy business format. I truly believe if Disney was not in their arsenol they would be out with the leadership they have now. They truly do not care one iota about their fans.

Their loyal soap fans had a protest, and the Head of Daytime supposedly came out and laughed at them. What a way to treat us, laugh at us, and cancel out our participation in a viewer vote show. I am guessing this is the beginning of the end for this show.

that basically sums it up perfectly
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

In regards to the Chelsea/Mark fix, CA apparently has heard about it on her twitter. I've been curious to see how she'd respond (of all the judges, I've always felt CA takes getting criticized for her judging skills the hardest). She says the WTACC was planned in response to better dancers going home (except this was the wrong season to use it), that the producers did it after viewer complaints, and we should send our complaints about it to them. According to her, they do listen. She also says she was hurt about Ralph referring to 'the judges comments' as the judges comments (meaning all 3 of them), because she felt she was nice to him (ha!) Karina hasn't held back, either, in her post show interviews, so it makes me wonder if this will hurt her standing in the future.

Anyone can see this wasn't a typical gimmick or stunt to ensure the best dancer made the finals. It was perfectly obvious they wanted Ralph gone and did what they could to get rid of him and get the final 3 they wanted. If Chelsea/Mark win, especially as a result of judges over-scoring, it'll just make it look worse.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    In regards to the Chelsea/Mark fix, CA apparently has heard about it on her twitter. I've been curious to see how she'd respond (of all the judges, I've always felt CA takes getting criticized for her judging skills the hardest). She says the WTACC was planned in response to better dancers going home (except this was the wrong season to use it), that the producers did it after viewer complaints, and we should send our complaints about it to them. According to her, they do listen. She also says she was hurt about Ralph referring to 'the judges comments' as the judges comments (meaning all 3 of them), because she felt she was nice to him (ha!) Karina hasn't held back, either, in her post show interviews, so it makes me wonder if this will hurt her standing in the future.

Anyone can see this wasn't a typical gimmick or stunt to ensure the best dancer made the finals. It was perfectly obvious they wanted Ralph gone and did what they could to get rid of him and get the final 3 they wanted. If Chelsea/Mark win, especially as a result of judges over-scoring, it'll just make it look worse.
    Had they had the dancers draw their positions out of a bag so it was left to chance who they were against then it would make some sense. The arranging was so blatant that there is no defense, none.

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie View Post
    Had they had the dancers draw their positions out of a bag so it was left to chance who they were against then it would make some sense. The arranging was so blatant that there is no defense, none.
    That and the fact that, as many have noted, Mark and Chelsea did not do a normal cha cha. Combine that with the fact that Hines was the top scorer all night, and yet Chelsea and Mark got the 15 points says it may not have been implemented specifically for them, but the producers d**m sure used it to ensure they made the finals. You will never convince me otherwise. What will be interesting to me is what happens next week - and whether the producers back down after all this backlash and really let the fans decide it. If they do, Hines will win. If not, Chelsea and the troll will win.

Chelsea and the troll will win.
    Is that Mark's new nickname? I have seen other people on the web calling him that now?
    "Treat others the way you want to be treated."

+ Reply to Thread