+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree549Likes

Thread: DWTS In The Media

BTW
    FORT Fanatic

Re: DWTS Media Thread

[QUOTE=Love_Me;4281069]Steelers' Hines Ward odds-on favorite to win 'Dancing With the Stars'

Steelers' Hines Ward odds-on favorite to win 'Dancing With the Stars' - The Huddle: Football News from the NFL - USATODAY.com

The odds changed this week after Chris was eliminated:

Chelsea Kane

11/4

Hines Ward

5/4

Kendra Wilkinson

18/1

Of course, look who her partner is! . She and Kendra could leave, without a tear from me.

Len Goodman on Kendra Wilkinson: “Just Let Her Shake & Bake There for Me”

As the competitors get more serious, Dancing With The Stars judge, Len Goodman, can’t help but get funnier! After Kendra Wilkinson’s booty-shaking judge’s table dance, Len, well, just couldn’t help but look up! He described the dance as “a lot nicer than the cupcake that ABC gave me as a birthday gift.”

“I have a little bit of a boob fetish the first few weeks but I had a little bit of a butt fetish last night with Kendra there shakin’ the bacon,” Len told reporters last night after the results show. “I tried not to look up. I said, ‘No, stay calm. Think of England. Royal Wedding, Royal Wedding.’ I couldn’t help myself. I had to look up her skirt. Everything was tucked in and gorgeous.”

Not only does Kendra know her way to Len’s heart, but has won him over as most improved contestant too!

“Kendra, for me, is the most improved one of them all.” Len explains, “She never came out and performed but the last two weeks she’s come out stronger and if you watch her dancing, watch her feet and legs. They’re strong. They’re straight. She’s the most improved.”

So how could Kendra’s dance and improvement possibly be topped?

Len told OK! “The perfect way would bring back Wendy Williams and get her on that table… and just let her shake and bake there for me.”

Len Goodman on Kendra Wilkinson: “Just Let Her Shake & Bake There for Me” - OK! Magazine - The First for Celebrity News

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

If they have Wendy shaking one side, Kendra the other, I don't think there'd be anything left of Bruno. Len's birthday must have put him in a good mood. I wasn't as impressed with Kendra's samba (Kirstie's had more content and I thought was the better of the two), but I think she has shown improvement. And she's finally starting to have fun.
    Last edited by karalott; 04-29-2011 at 03:31 AM.

'Dancing' judges get low marks for high scores - Entertainment - Reality TV - TODAY.com

An interesting take on the judges over scoring:

Got a so-so samba? Have a few 9s. Perform a stiff and passionless paso doble? Well, 9s it is. Really flub the footwork in the foxtrot? How about a couple of 8s — and a 9!

Welcome to the current season of “Dancing With the Stars,” where the moves match what one would expect from a batch of ballroom amateurs, but the sky-high scores seem to come out of nowhere.

Yes, for some reason, venerable judge Len Goodman and his co-panelists Carrie Ann Inaba and Bruno Tonioli have put their dance-floor sensibilities aside when it comes to their score paddles. Just when one expects the old 6s to see the glittering lights of the ballroom, Goodman and the gang reach for their 8 paddles instead. And when the 7s are in order, watch out! That sort of routine passes for near perfect with the bigwigs these days.

It’s not that a little numerical generosity is completely unanticipated. After all, the judges have a history of being kind to the somewhat-star-studded casts — with a few and well-deserved exceptions — but their latest gentle gestures have gone too far.

..Up is down on the leaderboard, so-so passes for spectacular and the ballroom babes see little room for improvement based on their digits alone.

Maybe all of this is just the legacy of last season. That’s where the panel first paired truly jaw-dropping numbers with unrelated dances.

For the most part, quasi-ringers Jennifer Grey and Brandy deserved top marks for busting out almost pro-caliber performances throughout season 11, but the same can’t be said for some of their competitors — in particular, Bristol Palin.

Ballroom doesn’t, or at least shouldn’t, grade for effort rather than results, but it sure seemed to every time Palin hit the stage. From a slow and lumbering quickstep that rated 7s and an 8, to Palin’s infamous 4-worthy ape-suit jive that somehow scored a set of 6s, it was the beginning of a troubling trend.

Of course, Palin wasn’t the only one who benefited from nonsensical scores. Last season also featured the 200th episode of the series, otherwise known as 10-a-palooza. There wasn’t a single flaw-free routine and yet everyone, save Palin, earned at least one 10. (No tears for Palin — she pulled a 9, which might as well have been an 11 given her performance that night.)

But other than that one special contender and that one special night, the selective overscores weren’t yet de rigueur in season 11.

Now they are.

Just look at a few of this season’s beneficiaries. Competent but not yet spectacular hoofer hopefuls, such as the charming Hines Ward or Master P progeny Romeo, have consistently received higher-than-expected numbers. Even sometimes-back-of-the-pack dancer Kendra Wilkinson rates far better scores than her fumbled footwork warrants.

In fact, with the possible exceptions of the likable Chris Jericho, should-be front-runner Chelsea Kane and the now-eliminated Petra Nemcova, each member of the cast has raked in at least occasionally inflated scores.

Good enough
    The practice might just seem harmless on the surface. Throw a few bonus points toward a celebrity for a bit of an ego stroke. Or maybe fail to deduct for poor frame, missteps or blatant lifts (ahem, Inaba) in order to allow someone new to stand in the spotlight.

Where’s the problem?

The dancers need something to strive for. If a just-good-enough routine lands a 9, it won't take much more to snag top honors, and then perfect just means somewhat better than bad.

What happened to the too-tough judges of seasons past? Remember when resident grump Goodman — who’s been in the ballroom as a dancer, coach and judge longer than some of the current “Dancing” contenders have been alive — used to hold back high scores until they were truly deserved (and sometimes even longer)? Or when former Fly Girl Inaba nitpicked the finer points of frames and footfalls? Or what about when Tonioli peppered his outlandish praise with plenty of criticisms? Those were the judges that demanded top routines from celebs.

A bad idea for ballroom
    Those were also the judges who helped select the appropriate ballroom boot.

See, unlike television’s other top talent show, “American Idol,” which allows the general public the one and only say in who stays and who goes ( at least for now ), “Dancing With the Stars” gives the officials a voice in each elimination.

The particulars of “Dancing’s” scores-to-votes formula aren’t so simple to sum up, but ultimately, the judges have a weighty share alongside viewers when it comes down to making the final cuts. That means super-sized scores can directly skew the outcome of the competition.

Take the April 18 performance show, for example. Wilkinson delivered a flow-free foxtrot that was little more than her stiffly marching around the dance floor. Petra Nemcova delivered a graceful, high-speed quickstep that was a bit off-step. Ralph Macchio danced a flawed samba and showed off his "spatula hands" again. The score for all three? A 22, when only two of the three actually danced. But with just enough viewer votes, Wilkinson survived another week, while the former leaderboard-topping Nemcova was sent home.

The scores also have an indirect effect.

Although it seems safe to say that plenty of “Dancing” fans vote for their favorite stars or the most entertainment-packed performances, surely some are influenced by what the pro panel has to say. It’s not as though the average viewer keeps track of the rock step-to-chasse ratio of a jive or whether toe-leads take over heel-leads in the paso doble, after all.

That’s why the panel needs to step up for ballroom basics and roll back the scores until the movers prove their merit.

Otherwise any old dancer can win the ballroom bash, and the judges lose their credibility.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    Some valid points but also, imo, shows the writer's subjuective opinion - unless he/she is qualified to actually judge ballroom.

In Chelsea's quick step I saw some obvious miss-steps at the beginning and at the end, yet she got a 10 from Carrie Ann as did Romeo. The writer doesn't mention that at all.

I think it's easy for all of us to use our personal bias in judging our favorites. Goodness knows the judges have been known to do so!

Dancing's Kym Johnson: I Feel Like Hines Is Cheating on Me with His Pillow

They may not have gotten a 10 yet, but Hines Ward and Kym Johnson are the highest-scoring couple this season on Dancing with the Stars — though it may be news to them. "I didn't know that we were. It seems to be different people [topping the leader board] every week, like last week, so I didn't know. That's amazing," Johnson tells TVGuide.com. "That feels really good because it means we've been consistent. I know how much work Hines puts in and if we deliver the goods every week, I think we'll be OK. Hopefully it'll pay off with a 10 soon." They have double the work to put in this week with the Team Cha-Cha Challenge on tap. So how is everything going? Plus: What's the real story with Ward's Dancing pillow?

How's the tango coming along?

Kym Johnson: Well, we're putting in overtime this week. I feel like the competition has really kicked in now. I love the tango. I think Hines will be great at it. He's such a natural dancer. I'm so lucky! He's so easy to teach. [On Wednesday] we had a six-hour rehearsal and he got all the steps down. After that, it's just about polishing it and working on the technique. In the tango, we really have to focus on the posture and his knees because the tango's really flat. He just really has to get into the character of the tango. In our paso doble, we did really well. He sort of channeled the football player in him, so he has to do that for the tango as well.

Are you guys going for a theme or a story of any kind?

Johnson: We were going to, but this week, we have some of the ballroom greats — legends of ballroom dancing — coming in to watch our rehearsals and we'll have a guest judge. So we're focusing on making this week more about the dancing and being very technical and more traditional. We're not going with any gimmicks or story. American Week, Guilty Pleasure Week — they've been really, really fun. I enjoyed that and telling a story through the dances, but we're not doing that this week.

Has he been practicing every night with his pillow?

Johnson: Yeah, I'm sure he went home and practiced! I think he calls her Rosa. I'm sure he and Rosa were dancing in the lounge room last night.

Have you met Rosa yet?

Johnson: No, I haven't! [Laughs] I feel like he's cheating on me. He's spending the night with her! But you know what? It's getting results, so I think he should keep doing what he's doing. It seems to be working.

Did you suggest for him to rehearse with a pillow at home or did he just start that himself?

Johnson: He just started that himself. It's pretty difficult to get someone to keep working on the dance when they go home. He's so dedicated that it's great that he goes home and works on the routine. He's always improved by the next day, which is great.

You guys also have the team dances. Are you excited you get to do the cha-cha again?

Johnson: Yes! I'm really excited. That was [our first dance], which seems like a lifetime ago now. It'll be nice to revisit the cha-cha. It's really fun doing the team dance. It brings everyone closer and it's fun working with the other celebrities and pros. We have Kirstie [Alley] and Kendra [Wilkinson], so our team is very good at shaking their butts — we're going to focus on that. We're Team Booty-Shakers! ... We don't have a name yet, but I'm going to suggest that one!

This is the first week with two dances. How has Hines been handling it?

Johnson: He's really been great with it. He always steps up to the challenge. It's hard, but he's getting there with it. Athletes definitely know how to handle the pressure and he's great with dealing with the pressure. I'm not too worried about him, honestly.

The last time you had a football player, Warren Sapp, you went to the finals.

Johnson: I was so lucky with Warren. He was great and Hines is definitely up there with Warren. I hope we could at least make the final. I'm already thinking about [the freestyle]. I've got something up my sleeve. You've got to plan ahead just in case.

What did you think about Chris Jericho leaving last week?

Johnson: Aw, we're really going to miss him. It's really horrible at this stage because everyone's so good. Cheryl [Burke]'s a great friend of mine, so we miss them. From this point, there are no bad dancers. Everyone's deserving of being in the final. It's a really close competition this season. It's very open. I like that. There are no Nicole Scherzingers or Evan Lysaceks. It's more of an even playing field and it keeps it exciting every time someone gets out on the floor.

Speaking of the floor, why is everyone falling? Is it cursed?

Johnson: Oh, I know! This season there have been so many stumbles. It's so strange. I'm hoping it doesn't happen to me! I don't really think about it, but yeah, when you see so many people taking falls, it's a little bit jarring. It's usually injuries. I'm crossing my fingers it doesn't happen to me, although I know Hines will catch me and pick me straight back up again!

Dancing's Kym Johnson: I Feel Like Hines Is Cheating on Me with His Pillow - Today's News: Our Take | TVGuide.com

This interview article lets us know who is on each Cha Cha Team:

1. Hines, Kendra, Kirstie

2. Chelsea, Ralph, Romeo

I think the first team (Hines, Kendra, and Kirstie) has an advantage with the cha cha.
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

Kendra Wilkinson: "I'm Glad" to Go Home on DWTS

Time to hang up the dancing shoes!

Kendra Wilkinson was voted off Dancing with the Stars Tuesday night, but don't feel too bad for the 25-year-old reality star.

"You know, I'm happy we got this far," she told Us Weekly. "I'm glad we ended now. I'm proud of where we came from, I'm proud of where we got to and how we got here -- I'm just proud. I'm very happy."

Wilkinson credited her NFL hubby, Hank Baskett, for giving her strength throughout the competition. "Hank was my spine. He was my backbone… He was that inhaler that I needed!"

She admitted she'll miss her partner, Louis Van Amstel, as well as the glamorous life DWTS provided. "The best hair, the best makeup, the best costumes," she gushed. "I mean, you can't get more glamorous than you are on Dancing with the Stars… This is the one time I actually feel like Barbie and I act like Barbie -- but this is where the journey ends and I'm back to being a stay at home mom."

Wilkinson and Baskett, 28, have a 16-month-old son together, Hank Jr. So is she looking forward to getting back to fulltime motherhood? "I am! Oh, right now I am missing baby Hank so much. That's all I'm thinking about right now. Getting back to him, picking him up from out of his crib and just eating him up.

Kendra Wilkinson: "I'm Glad" to Go Home on DWTS - Movies, TV & Music - UsMagazine.com
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

Tom on Mark's hand gesture this past Monday (I love the last line ) I really hope we won't be seeing Corky back next season. I think he's worse than Mark

'The Host's Leaderboard': Tom Bergeron on his new haircut, throwing to Diane Sawyer, and Mark Ballas' 'misconstrued' Monday night hand gesture | PopWatch | EW.com

[B]Tom believes Mark Ballas’s explanation of Monday’s “wanker” hand gesture: It was intended for his dad, Corky, as a “You gotta roll the dice with the choreography” inside joke. But as Tom counseled Mark after the show, “If that was a gesture of self-gratification, you’re really bragging about your size, because that was WAY off to the side.”
    And a word from Conrad Green:

DWTS elimination cast | Inside TV | EW.com

'DWTS' exec on boob comments: 'You talk about what's in front of you and there's quite a lot in front of you'
    by Lynette Rice
    Categories: Dancing With the Stars

What’s with all of Len Goodman’s boob comments? Whose idea was it to book Pia Toscano? And is Kirstie Alley cursed or something? EW posed these very important questions to Dancing with the Stars Executive Producer Conrad Green after Tuesday’s show and here’s what he said:

How are you feeling about the season so far?
    Conrad Green It’s been an amazing season. It’s our second most-watched ever. To go beyond 220 episodes and get those numbers, that’s pretty amazing. I think the cast is all positive, all likable. They have roughly the same standards. It’s incredibly competitive but at the same time it’s feel good, which is what our show is about.

Let’s talk about Kirstie Alley’s mishaps.
    I don’t think anyone has had lightning strike that many times on live TV. I think we’ve had people who’ve had falls before, who have forgotten a few steps here and there, but I don’t think we’ve ever had someone have a shoe come off in a competitive dance. To have three things happen, and there has only been seven dances, that’s difficult. What’s been remarkable is how she has overcome them. Overcoming adversity is more appealing than not having adversity in the first place. It has made her a crowd favorite.

Talk about booking Pia Toscano to sing on a performance night.
    When she started dating Mark Ballas, we suddenly thought, `well that’s a good idea isn’t it?’ So I spoke to the people at Idol because I’ve known them for some time and said, would you mind if we booked Pia? And they said no. She’s here supporting Mark now. It’s good fun. To be honest, I don’t know much about their personal life but I’m assuming [they are dating].

What is happening with the judges this year? They seem particularly randy with all the boob comments.
    I can’t speak for Len’s randyness. To be honest, you talk about what’s in front of you and sometimes, quite a lot is in front of you. I don’t think there have been any more comments than usual. There is always a little bit of humor on this show. Maybe it’s a British thing, but I don’t think there is any offense taken on the whole.

Do you ever wonder that maybe this really shouldn’t be considered a family show?
    It’s very fun stuff. The tone isn’t particularly adult. Those kind of comments are meant in jest, and to be honest, most kids don’t even know what you’re talking about. It’s always a double entendre rather than some kind of direct, lewd comment. My 7-year-old daughter was here was here last night and those comments go completely over her head. There’s nothing on the show that I wouldn’t feel uncomfortable having my daughter watch.

Why do you think Kendra Wilkinson was sent home?
    Everyone reaches their point in the show. Some have been more consistent than Kendra. Kendra had a really good late surge, but other people have cemented themselves more firmly in the public’s mind. To get to week 7 isn’t a bad result.

In Kendra’s video package from Monday, she was heard farting during rehearsals. Did you give her a heads up that it was coming?
    We don’t tell people what’s in the packages because they’d be saying, oh I don’t want that in! They’ll want to change things and it’s our show to make. We only show things that really happen. Those packages are there to show what happens behinds of scenes. So although admittedly it’s a lowbrow form of humor, Kendra had fun with it. She laughed.

But do you think those packages influence viewer votes?
    I think it’s highly unlikely. When we look at the minute-by-minute analysis, far and away the most watched part is the dance itself. Viewers really focus on that. Plus, we showed Hines Ward farting two weeks ago and that hasn’t affected his chances on the show!

Can you talk about what you think will happen in the final weeks?
    Normally I have a sense of where the competition is going, but this time I find it really difficult. There are a lot of unpredictable things, like Ralph and Karina falling over, Kirstie falling over. I’m getting a feeling that it’s one of those seasons where there’s a lot of unexpected stuff yet to happen. I also think the game will change quite significantly next week when we’ve got two dances. It’s also when the pressure starts to show. What’s great is that they are really committed, this group. So I think whatever happens, they will be forcing their way through.

I'm glad this show has done so well in the ratings this season. I'd like to think this will prevent them from casting any controversial reality/political/religious/tabloid figures in the future. But I doubt it.

I'm glad this show has done so well in the ratings this season. I'd like to think this will prevent them from casting any controversial reality/political/religious/tabloid figures in the future. But I doubt it.

I read the last two weeks DWTS Results shows ratings have been down. This week being one of the lowest due to "The Voice" winning it's time slot and in demographics. Is that right?
    "Treat others the way you want to be treated."

+ Reply to Thread