+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Apolo Anton Ohno & Julianne Hough - Season 4

Re: Apolo Anton Ohno & Julianne Hough - Season 4

An article about Ohno:

Ohno’s excellent on & off the ice
    By Yoon S. Park
    For the Northwest Asian Weekly

What comes to mind when you hear the names Britney, Lindsay or Kobe? It seems hardly a week goes by without some young high-profile celebrity making news with a misstep born of an inflated ego or bad judgment. Apolo Anton Ohno has certainly been making news lately — as a crowd favorite on ABC’s “Dancing With the Stars.”

Ohno’s candor and ready smile, coupled with a refreshing dose of gratitude to those who have supported his career — most notably his father — charmed those present at the 24-year-old’s recent appearance at Seattle’s Asian Resource Center. Ohno acknowledged the importance of his father’s support in both skating and dancing.

Ohno said his dad told him to just “go for it.”

Given his extraordinary speed-skating career, one would expect Ohno, who is originally from Federal Way, to be resting on his laurels. However, with a dogged determination befitting that of a two-time (going on three-time) Olympic athlete with five Olympic medals, he continues to collect accolades from judges and fans for the quality of his ballroom dancing with dance partner Julianne Hough. Ohno and Hough, who accompanied Ohno to Seattle, became the first couple to receive a perfect score this season and are among the favorites to win the competition.

Thankfully, Ohno’s talents translate well to the dance floor, as they “only have about three to four days to learn a new routine,” he said last Thursday evening at a news conference. He confessed that he found speed skating to be much tougher than ballroom dancing.

When asked if dancing helps his skating at all, he explained with amusement that one of his coaches from Korea thought it would help him by relaxing his skating.

Ohno went on to say that he is “too serious, too focused” as he trains for the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver, B.C. Dancing, he said, has become a form of self-expression.

Prompted by a photographer from the Northwest Asian Weekly, he and Hough even demonstrated a few of their dance moves at the news conference.

Ohno was in town April 26 to be inducted into the Asian Hall of Fame. Organized by the Seattle-based Robert Chinn Foundation, the Asian Hall of Fame honors “Asian Americans who have contributed to their heritage by breaking new ground or achieving excellence in their fields at both a national and international level.” Past inductees include former Gov. Gary Locke and the late artist George Tsutakawa.

Attorney, businesswoman and Filipino American leader Loida Nicolas Lewis was the other honoree that evening.

For Ohno, it’s significant that the Asian Hall of Fame award is not limited to any one ethnicity. He said he appreciates that it is not just for those of Japanese descent or any other group. It is the Asian Hall of Fame, “with no boundaries,” Ohno noted.

His success in the sports arena and popularity on “Dancing With the Stars” have certainly opened other doors for Ohno. He has received movie scripts and other acting opportunities, as well as offers to be a spokesperson for various products. Not surprising when you consider that the viewership of “Dancing,” according to Ohno, is larger than the Super Bowl’s.

As he looks to the future, Ohno, who is based in Colorado Springs, Colo., where the U.S. Olympic Training Center is located, expresses a desire to return to Seattle. He appreciates the area and what it has to offer, like rainbows.

He also wants to form his own foundation one day. Its focus will probably be youth and sports.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Thanks for posting this, Nemeses! I just love this kid!

Great article.. loved him as a skater and even more as a dancer! Of course Julianne is the perfect partner too!

Cute picture. It's hard not to like Apolo.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

FORT Fogey

Maybe because of his profession, but he does seem to take the judges' criticism the best of any of the contestants.

Unless he does something like breaks his neck, I think he just might take this!
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

Dancing's Julianne Hough Calls Off Her Wedding

Julianne Hough is a master at the quickstep on Dancing with the Stars – but she's taking her romance slow.

Hough, 18, who is Apolo Ohno's partner on the reality show, has called off her engagement to ex-dancer Zach Wilson.

So does that mean she's free to date (say ... a certain sexy speed skater)? "No!" Hough tells PEOPLE. "[Zach and I] are still together. We just want [more time] before we get married. It's all good!"

For now, Hough is concentrating on Dancing as the competition heats up. After Billy Ray Cyrus was booted from the show on Tuesday, Hough wiped away tears and said: "It gets harder as all these people leave."

Dancing's Julianne Hough Calls Off Her Wedding - Dancing With the Stars : People.com
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

Good for her. If she isn't ready, she shouldn't rush into it.

I don't think the DWTS *read Apolo* has anything to do with it, unless she realizes now it the time to strike hard on her career move. I am awed at her dancing ability and choreography. I think the dancing world is ready for her to make a HUGE move into. And marriage is hard enough without that going on.

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by schmoo2;2379016;
    Good for her. If she isn't ready, she shouldn't rush into it.

I don't think the DWTS *read Apolo* has anything to do with it, unless she realizes now it the time to strike hard on her career move. I am awed at her dancing ability and choreography. I think the dancing world is ready for her to make a HUGE move into. And marriage is hard enough without that going on.
    I agree with you, but I think she may have a little crush on Apollo *read* I'm not saying HE is the reason she decided to hold off on getting married. Right now, it is in her best interest to go after her dream....a career in dancing. Like you said, marriage is hard enough without the other obstacles thrown at you
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

I look at them and they seem like they are meant to be together. She's way too young to be getting married anytime soon. I bet she realized it when dancing with Apollo made her heart skip a beat.

+ Reply to Thread