+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819

Thread: 11/15 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Fogey
    If this were a truly legitimate show, they would never have let Mario on. For that reason, and that reason alone, I'm 100% fine with Emmitt winning. Had all contestants come to the show with equal experience, then Mario should have won.

Shame on ABC - not Mario, and not Emmitt.

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kresge;2147497;

As I stated previously, once I got it through my head that DWTS was a reality show instead of a dance contest my perspective has changed......from now on I won't vote, I'll just watch it purely for the entertainment value....until it no longer entertains me.
    I agree. I watched the first episode expecting to see something like Strictly Ballroom, but as soon as I heard that cheesy rendition of Beyonce's Crazy in Love I know that this was more of an entertainment show than an actual dance contest. I don't vote either.

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    Okay, I re-watched the show last night. Karina did say that Mario was the #1 male to her. BUT neither Mario nor Karina congratulated them. Some of you are saying that they went over afterwards. Mario did go over to pat Emmitt on the back, nothing was said. From what I saw, he didn't go over to Cheryl. And Karina....forget it, she was off sulking and moaning that she should have won.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

Wow... so many different things to comment on. I'm not sure where to start. I have personally met and talked with Mario and Joey in the course of my job.

I met Mario when he was a dance competition judge. If he is judging a dance competition, then it says something about his abilities with dance. While that was several years ago he is no amateur.

Working with a choreographer is not the same as taking dance classes. They do not work on technique, that is a dance teacher's responsibility. Top choreographers do teach classes, but usually only to top level dancers and it isn't about technique in those classes, it is all about their choreography.

I remember a dance competition where the winner went over to congratulate the other contestants after the awards and it ended up being a huge mistake as the other parents felt it was condescending and a put down... kind of a "i'm the winner and you're not" thing. In reality it wasn't, but there were lots of hurt feelings and parents up in arms. I would heartly agree, it is for the non-winners to congratulate the winners. In this case, Emmitt very graciously praised Mario immediately, rather than boast of his win.

DWTS is a semi-reality show and yes the outcome is based on fan base. The show never even boasts that the most talented will win. In contrast, So You Think You Can Dance boasts that it is all about talent, yet in the end it comes down to viewers opinions and fan base. That really is upsetting. Granted all the dancers are very talented, but the judging comes down to fan base in the end.

All this said, I love to watch dancing. I've spent years sitting through dance recitals, classes, competitions and professional performances. Everybody has an opinion about what is most important, that is why there is a panel of judges. Hopefully, their biases will balance out. It doesn't matter how or who you vote for. It's all about the entertainment and getting you to watch. Sometimes the winner is deserving and sometimes not.

As my teen would say... " so much draaamaaaa..."

I wanted Emmitt to win, but I would have been very disappointed if Mario had been booted too soon. I really liked to watch him dance.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by skyhigh79;2151657;
    I met Mario when he was a dance competition judge. If he is judging a dance competition, then it says something about his abilities with dance. While that was several years ago he is no amateur.
    Thanks for sharing, SkyHigh. In what kind of competition was Mario a dancing judge, e.g. when he was a kid, for kids, etc.?

Now that all the draaamaaaa is over, I've been watching the videos and I find that I am watching Jerry's more than any one elses. Emmitt is next followed by Joey. They are my 3 favorites and it is because they each started with nothing but turned it into something - and, for Joey and Emmitt, anyway, they really seemed to want to win and they practised accordingly. Finally, they all seemed to really enjoy themselves and have fun with the whole thing. For all these reasons, these three are the most fun to watch (for me).

I also have to say that my favorite dances from the entire season were jerry's and emmitt's FIRST dances! So charming....
    Last edited by Jexter; 11-22-2006 at 09:18 PM.

+ Reply to Thread