+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425 LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 241

Thread: 11/14 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

  1. #221
    My #1 Bachelor Kresge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    FL/PA
    Age
    54
    Posts
    1,903
    Oooooops.....didn't mean to underline that and can't get the "edit" button to function.

  2. #222
    Kanai Nemeses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    In my own world
    Posts
    3,835
    Quote Originally Posted by Kresge;2143860;
    Oooooops.....didn't mean to underline that and can't get the "edit" button to function.
    Actually, it DOES also refer to popularity, there's just no way around it at all.


    And I hear ya on the edit button not working right, lol.. have had that happen to me more than once, very frustrating when you're trying to make your point. Either that or I forget to read over what I wrote and miss my double-words or misspellings until the next day when it's too late, lol.

    Edited to add: In fact, I'm having other troubles in the forum too, just posted the text of an article about ABC announcing season 4 of DWtS, but my thread isn't showing up, so you and I are being eaten by the forum editing monster tonight, lol.
    Last edited by Nemeses; 11-16-2006 at 04:30 AM.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

  3. #223
    My #1 Bachelor Kresge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    FL/PA
    Age
    54
    Posts
    1,903
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses;2143862;
    Actually, it DOES also refer to popularity, there's just no way around it at all.


    And I hear ya on the edit button not working right, lol.. have had that happen to me more than once, very frustrating when you're trying to make your point. Either that or I forget to read over what I wrote and miss my double-words or misspellings until the next day when it's too late, lol.

    Edited to add: In fact, I'm having other troubles in the forum too, just posted the text of an article about ABC announcing season 4 of DWtS, but my thread isn't showing up, so you and I are being eaten by the forum editing monster tonight, lol.
    The point I was trying to make was contained in the word "automatically".....the vote by the poulation could be based on talent or it could be based on popularity.....The public has the power to lay aside their preferences based on personality and vote for talent.....just as they have the power to ignore talent and vote by personality....

    For instance, I personally think Karina is a witch and I adore Cheryl, BUT I have the ability to lay aside my personal thoughts, and vote for the best dancer.......which in this case, was Karina over Cherly, and Mario over Emmitt.....If it were a Ms/Mr Congeniality contest, I would have voted differently......Does that make sense???

    P.S......Love the cat!!

  4. #224
    My #1 Bachelor Kresge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    FL/PA
    Age
    54
    Posts
    1,903
    Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2143070;
    Unlike everybody else, I don't even remember the dance that everyone is citing that Drew and Cheryl did last year.

    This is a new year, thank goodness! All we've got is the here and now.

    We all like whom we like. I'm just glad the show is over!
    Too bad....it was an awesome dance to "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy"!

  5. #225
    Kanai Nemeses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    In my own world
    Posts
    3,835
    Quote Originally Posted by Kresge;2143873;
    The point I was trying to make was contained in the word "automatically".....the vote by the poulation could be based on talent or it could be based on popularity.....The public has the power to lay aside their preferences based on personality and vote for talent.....just as they have the power to ignore talent and vote by personality....

    For instance, I personally think Karina is a witch and I adore Cheryl, BUT I have the ability to lay aside my personal thoughts, and vote for the best dancer.......which in this case, was Karina over Cherly, and Mario over Emmitt.....If it were a Ms/Mr Congeniality contest, I would have voted differently......Does that make sense???

    P.S......Love the cat!!
    Thanks for the cat compliment! I had to find a way to use that pic somewhere, because I loved it, so stuck it in an avatar, lol.

    The thing about the popular voting, though, is that every week viewers were asked to "vote for your favorite celebrity" or vote for "who you want to see advance", etc. They weren't asked to vote for who they thought were the best dancers technically. So ABC encouraged the fan vote, not the judging vote. And well they should have, to be honest, because it's the fan participation that counts towards increased viewer numbers and ratings. As so many others have mentioned (my apologies to who said it first, can't remember exactly), the judges are there to judge the technical stuff, but it's the viewers who vote for who they like, not who they judge to be the best dancers. And any time you have a public voting, it's always going to be a popularity contest unless they've been given some specific rule they have to follow regarding their votes. But in DWtS, they haven't been, so it is a popularity contest.

    BUT! it doesn't bother me as long as ABC keeps giving me an enjoyable show to watch with the great dancing that makes watching tv fun again Kinda reminiscent of the old variety music shows where you could tune in each week and get dancing and songs and music. Was a pleasant way to spend an hour (or by DWtS time.. an hour and a half, lol).
    Last edited by fluff; 11-16-2006 at 05:19 AM.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

  6. #226
    My #1 Bachelor Kresge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    FL/PA
    Age
    54
    Posts
    1,903
    The thing about the popular voting, though, is that every week viewers were asked to "vote for your favorite celebrity" or vote for "who you want to see advance", etc. They weren't asked to vote for who they thought were the best dancers technically. So ABC encouraged the fan vote, not the judging vote.

    Hey, you're right!!! I didn't think about that.....guess I have to blame Tom for personality winning out over talent.....dang that Tom!!

  7. #227
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    15,774
    Quote Originally Posted by dberk;2143061;
    I just finished rewatching Mario's dances and I'm more shocked than ever that he is getting negative criticism for being a technically good dancer. In addition, he has more charisma, charm and showmanship than Emmitt could ever hope for.

    Cheryl is good at playing to Emmitt's strengths in her choreography and makes him look much better than he is. I like Emmitt, but see his smile and apparent enjoyment as nothing more than playing to the crowd. The judge's constant praise for it rather than his dancing skills made him play it up even more. He has repeatedly said how hard this is and you cannot convince me that he is really enjoying himself or that he will continue dancing after tonight. Calling him "an everyday man" is ridiculous. This man wasn't just a Joe Smo athlete. He is THE EMMITT SMITH who was a fabulously talented and successful running back. Footwork, strength and competition are second nature to him. Don't fool yourselves. He came into this competition with plenty of advantages.

    I doubt that Drew had a big fan base at the beginning of last season, but he worked hard and with the help of Cheryl's choreography and partnering skills won many people over. It didn't hurt that his brother supported him and was in the news a lot at that time, but Drew's dancing talent won the competition and not a pre-existing fan base or smoke and mirrors presentation.
    Yes, this was a popularity contest. Mario is the better dancer. What amazes me is the how the Mario and Katrina hate colors how people see the performances. Karina is a 5 time US champion yet some of the posters describe her as smug and huge egoed and how she and Mario don't dance together. If she could not dance with her partner she would not have won those championships. Mario is a gifted athelete and worked hard but was handicapped because he looks pretty. People in this country spend tons of money going to the gym and working out and having plastic surgery to "look pretty" yet on the other hand the crowds also try to tear you down for "looking pretty", and that's what I am seeing with the Mario hate.

    Mario dances better than Emmett. Emmett is more popular than Mario. Therefore Emmett won.

    Oh, thank you dberk for pointing out that Emmett is also a gifted athelete who has great footwork and his partner Cheryl knew that and based her choreography on those strengths.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 11-16-2006 at 07:35 AM.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  8. #228
    FORT Fan madeboxer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Washington DC area
    Posts
    352
    I'm not seeing "Mario Hate" but actually people seeing what the competition was all about and who better embodied the concept. Mario was a very confident experienced dancer on a show where the stars were supposed to be beginners and non dancers whom we could see grow for week to week. Emmit basically was the very embodiment of this and the fact that he ended up almost as good as Mario at the end speaks volumes. I believe the population figured this out and voted accordingly.

    Remember if everyone hated Mario so much, he would have never gotten to the finals. He was indeed as popular as Emmit but the competition was created to see growth and not to see the stylings of another professional dancer. After all, Mario has been dancing since SBTB.

  9. #229
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    15,774
    Quote Originally Posted by madeboxer;2144050;
    I'm not seeing "Mario Hate" but actually people seeing what the competition was all about and who better embodied the concept. Mario was a very confident experienced dancer on a show where the stars were supposed to be beginners and non dancers whom we could see grow for week to week. Emmit basically was the very embodiment of this and the fact that he ended up almost as good as Mario at the end speaks volumes. I believe the population figured this out and voted accordingly.

    Remember if everyone hated Mario so much, he would have never gotten to the finals. He was indeed as popular as Emmit but the competition was created to see growth and not to see the stylings of another professional dancer. After all, Mario has been dancing since SBTB.
    Where? What productions? All I saw him in was the host over at Animal Planet?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  10. #230
    Snoozin' on the beach
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,918
    Quote Originally Posted by Kresge;2143873;
    The point I was trying to make was contained in the word "automatically".....the vote by the poulation could be based on talent or it could be based on popularity.....The public has the power to lay aside their preferences based on personality and vote for talent.....just as they have the power to ignore talent and vote by personality....

    For instance, I personally think Karina is a witch and I adore Cheryl, BUT I have the ability to lay aside my personal thoughts, and vote for the best dancer.......which in this case, was Karina over Cherly, and Mario over Emmitt.....If it were a Ms/Mr Congeniality contest, I would have voted differently......Does that make sense???

    P.S......Love the cat!!

    I to voted for the most talented and that would be Emmitt in my opinion. Am I understanding your post wrong? It sounds like your saying Emmitt only got votes because he was popular because in your opinion Mario is more talented.


    A vote for Mario and your voting on talent but a vote for Emmitt and your not voting for the most talented? Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I know I voted for who I thought had the most talent, so did alot of people
    Last edited by Shady64; 11-16-2006 at 01:24 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.