+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: 11/14 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Shady64;2142939;
    There are alot more factors that go into this than who excutes the technical aspects the best. If that were all it was about it would be a 1 week show and the judges would just score them with no input or critisism given.

No amount of downplaying (I was young, it wasn't ballroom danicng etc.) can disguise that mario had more knoweldge and skill in dancing right from the first week. If they had both only danced in clubs or at weddings for their own enjoyment, it would be an equal playing field. As for me, I look at how they've improved over time and it's been Emmitt that has grown by leaps and bounds. If you look at his dancing for the first week and now the difference is HUGE. I barely see any difference or improvement between Marios first week and his last. Then there's attitude and sheer enjoyment and appreciation. I see that in Emmitt, I don't in Mario.

This is my first season watching and though I knew that Emmitt had played football, I didn't know what team or even what years he played. I could care less if they are an athlete or an actor, I didn't have a favorite going in. I'm capable of independant thought based on what I see with my own 2 eyes and Emmitt won me over with his ability that grew every week, attitude and the sheer joy and pleasure he gets from it.

In my opinion Emmitt has more talent based on all these things
    Well said, Shady. And Emmitt won me over even though I am the biggest anti-Cowboy fan ever to walk the face of the earth!! I didn't want to like him, I didn't want him to do well, but he and Cheryl have been terrific and if they don't win tonight, I'm going to be crushed! Okay, maybe not crushed, but so disappointed because Mario just has not impressed me at all for so many reasons.

Technically, Mario is better. That said, Emmitt has the charisma that Mario lacks. I didn't think Emmitt's dances were so great last night. Maybe it was because it was the first time that there was only Mario to compare him with.

What I like about Emmitt is that he is a natural dancer. Although there is choreography, he just goes out and really grooves with the music and his partner.

With regard to the constant back and forth over his "sacrifice" comments, I think that he probably had NO IDEA that this would take over his daily life. I'm sure his competitive spirit took over and he made some sacrifices in order to get this far. I think they probably all did, to some extent.

Unfortunately there isn't an award for technical skills versus performance skills, so i voted with my heart, not my head. I hope Emmitt wins. I think the voters got it right for the final two... either way the two best dancers made it to the finals.

I just finished rewatching Mario's dances and I'm more shocked than ever that he is getting negative criticism for being a technically good dancer. In addition, he has more charisma, charm and showmanship than Emmitt could ever hope for.

Cheryl is good at playing to Emmitt's strengths in her choreography and makes him look much better than he is. I like Emmitt, but see his smile and apparent enjoyment as nothing more than playing to the crowd. The judge's constant praise for it rather than his dancing skills made him play it up even more. He has repeatedly said how hard this is and you cannot convince me that he is really enjoying himself or that he will continue dancing after tonight. Calling him "an everyday man" is ridiculous. This man wasn't just a Joe Smo athlete. He is THE EMMITT SMITH who was a fabulously talented and successful running back. Footwork, strength and competition are second nature to him. Don't fool yourselves. He came into this competition with plenty of advantages.

I doubt that Drew had a big fan base at the beginning of last season, but he worked hard and with the help of Cheryl's choreography and partnering skills won many people over. It didn't hurt that his brother supported him and was in the news a lot at that time, but Drew's dancing talent won the competition and not a pre-existing fan base or smoke and mirrors presentation.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Unlike everybody else, I don't even remember the dance that everyone is citing that Drew and Cheryl did last year.

This is a new year, thank goodness! All we've got is the here and now.

We all like whom we like. I'm just glad the show is over!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Kresge;2142809;
    Just because the public votes doesn't automatically make it a poularity contest........the people in my immediate world don't vote by who they like, but by who they think is the best dancer. Yet the people on this board seem to be judging b popularity, and that is very different from what I am experiecing in "real life"......Actually I was pretty shocked when I first started reading this message board and saw how many people were making decisions based on preconceived notions of personality instead of talent. Naturally, as you said, there is always an element of personal preference in any judging, but I'm suprised at how it seems to dominate on this board.
    "Talent" is very subjective. For me, the most talented person out there is the one I find the most consistently entertaining and not necessarily the one who is most technically correct (I wouldn't know the difference anyway). A lot of factors go into that judgment, including personality and improvement over the course of the season. I'm more inclined to vote for someone in whom I've seen improvement over the weeks than in someone who who has pretty much stayed at the same level throughout.

I'm also more impressed by someone who hasn't had prior dance training / experience. It doesn't matter that the experience wasn't ballroom, they still have an advantage. I have a friend who is a dancer, and my I know that if if the two of us entered a similar competition, she would have a huge advantage over me (a non dancer).

In addition to all the "technical" talk I just sort of had an epiphany of sorts.

Mario is an actor and Emmitt isn't. What you see from Emmitt is real. We really don't know what we are seeing with Mario, with respect to his personality. Mario should be able to out "act" Emmitt but he doesn't. So not only has Emmitt learned to dance pretty well, he's learned to act. Although I really think he is just a nice guy and not so much an actor. On the other hand, maybe Mario isn't such a great actor and that is why so many people see him as smug.

FORT Fan
    The main thing I got out of last night's episode is that if their is another season the judges should not bother to score the final 2 when they do their dances. They should make comments to help the public decide but not score themselves. It just makes the show look terrible when the judges scoring in the finals winds up in a tie leaving it up to the public. It makes the whole thing seem fixed whether it is or isn't.

As far as Emmitt's "sacrifice" comment is concerned, if I hadn't seen it brought up here, it wouldn't have crossed my mind to pay it any attention. I believe at one point last night Tom referred to the dancers as "warriors". I found that much sillier than Emmitt's comment. If Emmitt believes he has sacrificed certain things by competing on this show, who am I to tell him he's wrong. Thanks

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Excellent point.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723
    I thought Mario and Karina looked like a bunch of random dance moves thrown together, while Emmitt and Cheryl looked like a team.
    Great point, and this is the feeling I've gotten from them all season. Mario and Karina aren't a team, they're two separate and HUGE egos dancing the same dance at same time together, but certainly not performing as a team. Cheryl and Emmitt, on the other hand, worked as a team, you could see it in their weekly clips and in their performances. And Cheryl worked hard to make Emmitt look good, worked on routines to play up his strengths, etc. My impression of Karina has been that she works to make herself look good each week and teaches her monkey...er, Mario... to perform the moves to accompany her. Their 'teamwork' seemed to consist of who could outshout the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Kresge
    Just because the public votes doesn't automatically make it a poularity contest
    Actually, it does. This is why public voting in elections is called the popular vote.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay
    If they wanted it to be a dancing contest, they'd leave all of the decision making to professionals
    Excellent point. They want.. nay, need.. the popularity voting factor from viewers to continue to do well in the ratings among viewers.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Just for clarity........The "popular vote" refers to populance, as in population, NOT as in popularity......there is a hugh difference between the two!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kresge
    Just because the public votes doesn't automatically make it a poularity contest
    Actually, it does. This is why public voting in elections is called the popular vote.
    Last edited by Kresge; 11-16-2006 at 05:22 AM. Reason: Oops, don't want underlining!

+ Reply to Thread