+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213

Thread: 10/17 Show Discussion **SPOILERS**

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dberk;2109265;
    While crotchgrabbing is common in most sports, I never understood how MJ made it popular in dance when I would have expected it to induce disgust or laughing fits and pointing. TPTB should have told him the MJ moves didn't fit in with the theme. In fairness to Mario, I thought his hand was closer to his belt than his crotch.

dberk, during the rehearsal it was closer to his belt. But during the show it was definitely closer to his crotch. Someone should have definitely told him that MJ wasn't around during the disco years. Or he should have done a little research
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

FORT Observer
    The song they played for the disco group routine is actually a Michael Jackson song from the late 70s (from the "Off the Wall" album). I think Mario figured that since it was an MJ song he could throw in any MJ move and not worry about whether it was from that era.

Nobody here remembers the Jackson 5 songs from the 70s? "Blame it on the Boogie" ? "Shake Your Body Down to the Ground"?

Yes, I remember those songs - vaguely. The Jackson 5 were popular in the 1970s, but Michael was hugely popular in the early to mid 1980s. That's when MTV first started, and Michael came out with some innovative music videos. In my opinion, Michael was at his most popular then.

The type of dancing Mario was doing echoed MJ's music videos. Since those didn't really exist until the 1980s, it was a bit out of place in a disco routine. Lionel Richie was appropriate, though, as The Commodores were more in line with the purely-for-dance songs played in most discos then. Michael's "Don't Stop Til You Get Enough" was a fairly big disco hit too, though. By the time "Thriller" came out (with the type of moves Mario was doing), disco was out of fashion - even reviled.
    Last edited by Brandy; 10-20-2006 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723;2107159;
    Emmett ........ He consistently looks like he's having fun, and the man can dance.
    This is why I've come to like Emmett. Not being a sports fan, I had no idea who Emmett was when the season started -- well, I knew who he was from reading the press releases about the new season, but that's all I knew of him. And at the beginning, I didn't pay much attention to him. But as the season has progressed, I've really come to like him as a personality, because he does indeed look like he's having a lot of fun and is into the spirit of learning and has a great attitude about it. And like I suspect is true of most good athletes, even though the learning and practising might be hard work and/or difficult, once he's on the playing field/dance stage, he lets go and enjoys himself. And that really comes through to me as I watch from home. His whole face just lights up and beams, and I can't help but smile when I watch him dance. And I think he really does have some good moves in the dances that have good rhythm.. he's not as stiff as some previous athletes have been.

Not saying he's a pro level dancer, but I enjoy watching him and I think he's earned his keep in this season so far.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Quote Originally Posted by dberk;2107383;
    And finally, ALL of the pros are carrying their contestant. With some it is just more evident than others.
    lol, I think this is the best bottom-line statement about DWtS that I've ever read. Sums everything up nicely

Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Quote Originally Posted by ladybugbaby;2107889;
    the disco part was supposed to highlight popular dances from that time frame. did everyone forget that michael jackson's dance style including the crotch grabbing was very popular back then? everyone seems to think it is coming from mario only, he is simply doing one of the moves from that time frame. .............
    Michael Jackson didn't put out his first solo until 1979 with his Off The Wall album, which spawned 'Don't Stop Til You Get Enough', which contained his first solo contributions to the disco scene. That album contributed several songs to the disco era, but no crotch grabbing. Before that, the Jackson Five/Jacksons contributed a few songs to the disco era. The 'disco era' in the US is acknowledged as having died by 1983. The crotch grabbing ridiculousness of Michael didn't come about til the 'Bad' album which was released in 1986, so it was never part of the disco scene and was out of place in a disco dance montage.

On a side note, I'd forgotten how stupid that crotch-grabbing move was (thankfully) until I saw Mario do it this week. Again, imho, it looked just as stupid when he did it as it did when Michael did it.
    Last edited by Nemeses; 10-21-2006 at 10:24 AM.

seems like since the music they danced to was michael jackson's
    don't stop till you get enough which was on his 1979 off the wall album then the michael jackson moves were quite appropriate. i don't believe they got to make up their own moves, did they? aren't they supposed to be choreographed by professionals? keep thinking, i am sure everyone will find more things to say to drag mario's performance through the dirt.
    ladybugbaby

Quote Originally Posted by ladybugbaby;2111698;
    seems like since the music they danced to was michael jackson's don't stop till you get enough which was on his 1979 off the wall album then the michael jackson moves were quite appropriate.
    With respect, the Michael's crotch-grabbing-as-dance moves didn't come about until 7 years after 'Off The Wall' was released, 3 years after disco had died, so yeah.... it wasn't appropriate to be included in a disco montage, imho.

But whatever... I'm just glad that there's no danger in that move becoming a big part of American mainstream culture again. It always looked dumb, to me, whether it was MJ doing it, his sister Janet doing it, or Mario Lopez, or anyone else you can mention. To me, it never looked 'sexy' as was intended, it always made me cringe or lol irl at the artist trying to make it look sexy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses;2111733;
    With respect, the Michael's crotch-grabbing-as-dance moves didn't come about until 7 years after 'Off The Wall' was released, 3 years after disco had died, so yeah.... it wasn't appropriate to be included in a disco montage, imho.
    Nemeses... I agree with you. I've always hated that move and thought it was tacky.

And ladybugbaby, they clearly showed during the behind the scenes montage that Mario was excited about doing Michael and wanted to throw that move in. They've also shown, and discussed, throughout the series that Mario (and to some extent Joey) have liked to add their own personality to their routines. Yes, the overall routines are choreographed by the pros, but that doesn't preclude the dancers from trying to be original or add in their favorite moves by their alleged favorite singer.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213