+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: 10/17 Show Discussion **SPOILERS**

Misty, I agree with you about Emmitt. The sheer joy on his face last night was catching. He's so entertaining, far more so than Jerry in my opinion.

I don't know that Mario is being set up for the win. I think he's going to follow the same fate as Stacey, where the judges have praised them so much that there's going to be a fan backlash. Soon.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723;2107159;
    Mario is so overrated, but it seems like the judges are positioning him to win. I'll be very disappointed if he does win, I would rather seem him gone than Jerry, to tell you the truth. He may have some rhythm, but his partner is carrying him.
    I agree with everything in your post except this, and this only to a degree. Mario has said that just because he is latin doesn't automatically mean that he can dance all of the latin dances. I enjoy watching him dance, but Carrie Ann's comment about his superior abilities was ridiculous. I don't think the judges care who wins - as long as it isn't Jerry, since that would take away the last of the show's credibility.

And finally, ALL of the pros are carrying their contestant. With some it is just more evident than others.

the disco part was supposed to highlight popular dances from that time frame. did everyone forget that michael jackson's dance style including the crotch grabbing was very popular back then? everyone seems to think it is coming from mario only, he is simply doing one of the moves from that time frame. i loved michael jackson way back then, including all of his dance moves. he was a genius during that time frame. i don't know what happened to him after that, but you can't forget the contribution he made during those disco years.
    ladybugbaby

Quote Originally Posted by dberk;2107383;
    I agree with everything in your post except this, and this only to a degree. Mario has said that just because he is latin doesn't automatically mean that he can dance all of the latin dances. I enjoy watching him dance, but Carrie Ann's comment about his superior abilities was ridiculous. I don't think the judges care who wins - as long as it isn't Jerry, since that would take away the last of the show's credibility.

And finally, ALL of the pros are carrying their contestant. With some it is just more evident than others.
    I say Mario's partner is carrying him, because for me he seems to disappear when he's out there. Of course, I agree, all of the pros are carrying their contestants. But, some of the contestants stand out or blend in better than others. Emmett and Cheryl, for example, I think blend very beautifully, and I watch both. Mario just seems to disappear for me and I focus all attention on his partner. Which is what I mean and I guess didn't say very well

If I were watching this show from a dance perspective (as in, if I knew a fig about dancing), I might see it differently. But, I freely admit, it's all about the entertainment for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ladybugbaby;2107889;
    the disco part was supposed to highlight popular dances from that time frame. did everyone forget that michael jackson's dance style including the crotch grabbing was very popular back then? everyone seems to think it is coming from mario only, he is simply doing one of the moves from that time frame. i loved michael jackson way back then, including all of his dance moves. he was a genius during that time frame. i don't know what happened to him after that, but you can't forget the contribution he made during those disco years.
    ladybugbaby
    I thought the disco segment was to highlight disco dances. I don't remember Michael Jackson ever being considered disco. I have no problem with Mario doing that (other than I thought he looked ridiculous doing it), but I just don't think it's disco.

I thought MJ did the crotch grabbing thing during the early 80's. Maybe I'm wrong.

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723;2108936;
    I thought the disco segment was to highlight disco dances. I don't remember Michael Jackson ever being considered disco. I have no problem with Mario doing that (other than I thought he looked ridiculous doing it), but I just don't think it's disco.
    Misty, you beat me to this answer. I don't remember Jackson during the disco era either.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by combatcutie;2108979;
    Misty, you beat me to this answer. I don't remember Jackson during the disco era either.
    And the crotchgrabbing and the rest of the well known MJ moves were 80's moves. And I'm still proud to say, even back then, I didn't see what all the fuss was about. But even so, for someone like Mario to say now that he really admires anything about MJ is very disturbing. That would be like Emmit Smith saying OJ Simpson was his inspiration as a football player who made it big even after football.

Quote Originally Posted by Melsevene;2109150;
    And the crotchgrabbing and the rest of the well known MJ moves were 80's moves. And I'm still proud to say, even back then, I didn't see what all the fuss was about. But even so, for someone like Mario to say now that he really admires anything about MJ is very disturbing. That would be like Emmit Smith saying OJ Simpson was his inspiration as a football player who made it big even after football.
    While crotchgrabbing is common in most sports, I never understood how MJ made it popular in dance when I would have expected it to induce disgust or laughing fits and pointing. TPTB should have told him the MJ moves didn't fit in with the theme. In fairness to Mario, I thought his hand was closer to his belt than his crotch.

"Friends, Romans, Countrymen, lend me your ears. I come to bury Caesar; not to praise him. The evil men do lives after them; the good is oft interred with their bones. So let it be with Caesar."

The truth of the above has stuck with me since 11th grade English Lit.

As someone that lived through the disco era and the 80's I had to chuckle when both Mario and Joey went on about MJ--just shows their age that they equate MJ and Disco together. No harm. Jerry is the one that KNEW the disco era ment polyester leisure suits and silk shirts! But if we are going to be nit picky, Jerry and Kym's solo minute reminded me more of the Danny/Sandy dance duet from Grease than any disco dance I recall and that was referring to the 50's. It's all just entertainment.

+ Reply to Thread