+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Idea for changing the voting

FORT Fan

Idea for changing the voting

I bet the results and eliminations would better reflect what was actually happening onstage if every phone line and email had ONE vote, and they voted for the ONE couple who should go home.

I think it would neutralize rabid packs of fans.

Maybe somebody could build a computer model of this and get a PhD in reality show mathematics.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    I bet the results and eliminations would better reflect what was actually happening onstage if every phone line and email had ONE vote, and they voted for the ONE couple who should go home.

I think it would neutralize rabid packs of fans.

Maybe somebody could build a computer model of this and get a PhD in reality show mathematics.
    Hey, weary, I agree that the vote should be for who should go home and I like the one vote per phone line and no email votes since we all know how easy it is to rig that...

But fair and ratings don't always line up. If you have a dancer whose fans flock to DWTS, you want that person staying on the show.

I'd love to see it if the fan votes only counted towards which half of the remaining field was safe. That way, the poorest performer of the non-fan favorites would always go.

FORT Newbie
    i agree you weary.

FORT Fogey
    Assuming the voting is done above board, I guess I'm not too frustrated about how it works. I think some contestants do go a week or so earlier than they should and some go a week or too later than they should due to popularity.

However, I agree with something Simon Cowell said about American Idol. The public always gets it right in the end. I give the public enough credit that it will vote for the talent. I believe the final four in every season so far has been the correct final four.

I think it has often been a fine line between 1st and 2nd but at that level, it's a matter of preference because they are generally equally talented IMHO.
    Last edited by Jexter; 10-30-2006 at 10:45 PM.

I guess I have a weird outlook on shows like this that use viewer voting as part of the show's appeal.

In Season 1 of DWtS, with the Kelly Monaco/John O'Hurley outcome controversy, I decided then and there to just ignore the viewer voting aspect of the show, and just enjoy the show for the entertainment of the dancing and seeing some celebs in a different light than they're usually seen. So I don't even pay attention to the voting numbers each week, I just show up in front of my tv on Tuesday and Wednesday nite to enjoy the DWtS shows with whoever happens to be left in the competition.

I think that any reality or non-reality type show like DWtS, American Idol, etc. that has viewer voting as part of the package will never have honest results. There are just too many inherent flaws in the theory, too many methods of communication that people have available to them nowadays to ensure that 1 honest viewer = 1 honest vote.

Voting by computer, by cell phone, by non-cell phone, phone dialing software, blocked phone numbers, hidden IP's, etc...

Celeb fan clubs or fan bases who have the means and incentive to skew votes... celebs who know how to manipulate viewer responses (they are trained in that, after all), etc...

Outside factors that will always be a factor in voting, such as telephone problems in some areas during call-in periods, overwhelming of some telephone systems in some areas during call-in periods that have/can effect tens of thousands of voting attempts, telephone dialing software for personal computers that can register tons of votes with little or no effort from the human voter, etc., etc....

There's just no way any of these types of shows will ever have an honest voter result. It's not so much that the networks that produce these shows are evil and dishonest, just that the theory itself has too many exploitable flaws.

And unfortunately, honest is not an adjective used to describe 'reality' competition shows -- at least, not used honestly.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

+ Reply to Thread