+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 9/27 Elimination Show **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2085480;
    Wonder why each celeb is paid differently??? What determines it?
    I'm surmising that, as with any other cast, it depends on their marketability (how many viewers/how much advertising revenue they can bring in) and how well their agents can bargain to net them a higher wage.

To yourfired: Well, it's a matter of opinion. Mine is that stars can afford to do this for charity - sort of a fun thing. I didn't dream they'd take this all that seriously. As the weeks have wore on it's obvious they do. Maybe Tom B. wasn't kidding when he said they really do this to win that tacky disco-ball trophy.

It certainly seems like a fundraiser type of event to me. (But I'll concede) I've also heard the contention (not as to DWTS, but referring to charity concerts etc.) before that the performers are usually the only ones being asked to donate their services - the crew gets paid, etc.

A nice thing about the stars' wages going to charity is that once people hear this, it may inspire more donations (stars also usually make much, much more money than your average key grip). I was rather surprised to hear this is a paying gig for them - it suddenly becomes something else, in that case. Then again, as someone said, some of the lesser-known names likely could not afford to donate their pay. Anyway, I suppose I'd rather think of this as some fun backyard talent show, than just another gig for pay. As for Jennifer Aniston - totally different situation. That was her main job. I wouldn't expect Sara or Willa to sing for free, or Emmitt to play football for nothing. But this isn't anyone's actual 'job'.
    Last edited by Brandy; 10-23-2006 at 01:23 PM.

FORT Fogey
    I'm glad the stars get paid. Call a spade a spade. It's TV, it's entertainment - Not charity. To veil the former with the latter is just a blatant lie and rather disgusting IMHO.

Plus, the stars probably do a better job this way than they would without a financial incentive and truth-be-told, the show is the most exciting toward the end when they've all developed some skill abd experience.

He activates my yummy!!!! yourefired's Avatar
    Exactly! It amazes me how people are upset that the stars' salaries don't go to charity, but they don't on scripted shows. Charlie Sheen gets paid a lot more per episode than any of the DWTS folks, and he has a right to do with that paycheck whatever he pleases (or whomever he pleases.........lol)

Some of the stars on this show have a lot of money. Sara Evans most certainly does. Jerry Springer as well. But Mario Lopez isn't super rich. Sure he got syndication dough from SBTB, but he also does guest star appearances and is a DJ (or at least he used to be). No one would say a word if he was on CSI and got to keep his salary, so why is it bad that he gets to keep it here?

Furthermore, these stars work HARD for the money! Joey said tonight that it was 8-9 hours per day of training and dancing. I seriously doubt Charlie Sheen works that hard for his money.

If this were a one-shot deal (like the old Battle of the Network Stars say), I could see the salaries going to charity. But these people are putting other things on the backburner to do this. This is a half season committment. There is nothing wrong with them being compensated for their time.

BTW, Simon Cowell paid each of the Celebrity Duets a salary per week. He compensated with 100K going to the winners' charity to balance it out. I think DWTS should do that as well. They make ABC enough money.
    Geisha Ninja Sparkle Dance
    Twirling Ninja Sparkle Dance

Maybe the final three could each allocate some of ABC's money to a charity of their choice.

Celebrity Poker players donate their winnings to charity. It's why they play. I think I wasn't thinking about how long this show (DWTS) goes on when I first said that. But I still don't find charity "disgusting". And stars entertain at fundraisers constantly.

I think it's been concluded that I'm saying there's something wrong with earning a living. That was not my point at all. In any case, we're not making the decision, so we have room to respect each others' opinions without fearing it will impact the stars' paychecks either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy;2113174;
    I'm surmising that, as with any other cast, it depends on their marketability (how many viewers/how much advertising revenue they can bring in) and how well their agents can bargain to net them a higher wage.

To yourfired: Well, it's a matter of opinion. Mine is that stars can afford to do this for charity - sort of a fun thing. I didn't dream they'd take this all that seriously. As the weeks have wore on it's obvious they do. Maybe Tom B. wasn't kidding when he said they really do this to win that tacky disco-ball trophy.

It certainly seems like a fundraiser type of event to me. (But I'll concede) I've also heard the contention (not as to DWTS, but referring to charity concerts etc.) before that the performers are usually the only ones being asked to donate their services - the crew gets paid, etc.

A nice thing about the stars' wages going to charity is that once people hear this, it may inspire more donations (stars also usually make much, much more money than your average key grip). I was rather surprised to hear this is a paying gig for them - it suddenly becomes something else, in that case. Then again, as someone said, some of the lesser-known names likely could not afford to donate their pay. Anyway, I suppose I'd rather think of this as some fun backyard talent show, than just another gig for pay. As for Jennifer Aniston - totally different situation. That was her main job. I wouldn't expect Sara or Willa to sing for free, or Emmitt to play football for nothing. But this isn't anyone's actual 'job'.
    When someone is putting in 6 to 8 hours of practice 5 or 6 days a week and then have 2 live performances thats a job.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I get the point, guys.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandy;2116765;
    I get the point, guys.
    Nothing personal. I'm a bit testy when I get home from work, and I think I channel this testiness to reality tv boards. I've got to vent about something. Reality tv seems about as good as anything else...

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy;2115382;
    Maybe the final three could each allocate some of ABC's money to a charity of their choice.

Celebrity Poker players donate their winnings to charity. It's why they play. I think I wasn't thinking about how long this show (DWTS) goes on when I first said that. But I still don't find charity "disgusting". And stars entertain at fundraisers constantly.

I think it's been concluded that I'm saying there's something wrong with earning a living. That was not my point at all. In any case, we're not making the decision, so we have room to respect each others' opinions without fearing it will impact the stars' paychecks either way.
    Personally, I think a lot of these stars give to their favorite charities anyway. Why make it public?

There's a lot of difference between benefits and poker tournaments and a 13 week show. They should be paid as if they're on a regular show and be free to allocate the money the way they want. If it's to a charity, great. If not, then hopefully they have an immediate need (like Joey's daughter's college fund say) that takes precedence.

CEO's, Doctors, Lawyers, etc. all make a lot of money for what they do (many make more than these DWTS celebs). And they earn it through hard work, years of education, and a lot of long hours. And nobody tells them they HAVE TO allocate 3 weeks of their income to charity.

And how would you feel if you went to work day in and day out and somebody came along and told you that you HAD to give x% of your salary to charity? That's just not the American way.

There's nothing disgusting about giving to charity. What's disgusting is being told that YOU HAVE TO give to charity. It should be left upon the individual person to give back as he/she sees fit.

And again, we wouldn't even be having this discussion if we weren't talking about celebreality. If this were the cast of CSI or Desperate Housewives, nobody would say they should allocate any percentage of their income as a prerequisite for being on the show.

Personally, I'd much rather make that demand over people who have the money to give freely (Charlie Sheen, The Friends 6 when that show was on, etc.). These people make obscene amounts of money per episode (Friends topped out at $1 million per episode each). And sure they all gave to charity. But they did it because they wanted to, not because they had to. And that should be the point of charity anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2115402;
    When someone is putting in 6 to 8 hours of practice 5 or 6 days a week and then have 2 live performances thats a job.
    This is my point exactly. The celebs on DWTS work longer and harder for their paychecks than the actors on scripted TV anyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy;2116765;
    I get the point, guys.
    It's not just you. Others have complained as well about the stars getting paid. This show isn't a job. Benefits are something you can "phone in" without much work involved. You show up, sing a song, and head to the post show party.

This is a job. The only 2 contestants who I'd ever say "phoned it in" are Master P and Tucker Carlson. And sadly, I think Tucker practiced more in that one week than Master P did in half a season.

When Master P was eliminated last year, Ashley said that he practiced as much all season as the other contestants did in a week.

So Master P did not earn his keep at all. But I refuse to hold him as the standard of any other DWTS contestant. Feel free to force him to give all his money to charity. Just don't take anything away from how long and hard the rest of them work.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast