+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2/9 Show discussion

Quote Originally Posted by nilesgirl View Post
    I got in my total of 16 votes for Stacey tonight.
    Me too!!

I got 8 for Stacy and 2 for Jerry. Jerry needs to survive.

Quote Originally Posted by allmychildren View Post
    That is exactly what I thought!! I'm thinking in my opinion, the final 2 are Stacy and Jerry and Drew finished in 3rd place, Lisa in 4th and George is 5th place.
    As always, a man pull for a girl, and that is Stacy Keibler.
    No disrepsect intended, but just to be clear, is this your prediction of what you think WILL happen, what you thing SHOULD happen based on skill, or what you, as a fan of these people as "personalities" want to see them rewarded with?

Mind you, I love Jerry Rice as a human being, but I can't possibly see him as a good enough dancer to rate going up against Stacy in the end. Conversely, I somewhat dislike Drew, but I can't deny he's either the best or second best dancer there.

I think this gets to the heart of what these shows are about. Are they talent conests? Popularity contests? Subjective? Objective? Entertainment? Edification?

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Stacey with a very slight lead over Drew Lisa next and then Jerry...George to go home this week!

No way is Jerry ahead of Drew.....

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Krom View Post
    No disrepsect intended, but just to be clear, is this your prediction of what you think WILL happen, what you thing SHOULD happen based on skill, or what you, as a fan of these people as "personalities" want to see them rewarded with?

Mind you, I love Jerry Rice as a human being, but I can't possibly see him as a good enough dancer to rate going up against Stacy in the end. Conversely, I somewhat dislike Drew, but I can't deny he's either the best or second best dancer there.

I think this gets to the heart of what these shows are about. Are they talent conests? Popularity contests? Subjective? Objective? Entertainment? Edification?
    LOVE your comments. Right on the money. Yes, it's a dancing competition but personalities are EXTREMELY important because it's a REALITY show anyway.

I would never, in a million years, would imagine that I would be watching this show. Its just not me. But I got hooked because of the personalities of the actors who make this show a joy to watch.

Jerry, George, Lisa, Stacy, Drew and to the point even Master P THEY made the show not the professional dancers. Although we like them too

I am SO disappointed that they gave George the same scores as Jerry. Jerry actually did some dancing. Also, did you notice how well Jerry handled the lift in the solo spot? I wish they allowed lifts in the comp so Jerry could show off some upper body strength! I'm hoping that Jerry's Superbowl exposure will kickstart some votes to save him this week. George needs to go.

If George goes, that gives us Lisa vs. Jerry for 3rd. That one will be a toss up and a popularity contest. Same with Stacey vs. Drew for first. At this point, I'm thinking Drew will take it, just because more women seem to vote than men.

Quote Originally Posted by Justafan1 View Post
    LOVE your comments. Right on the money. Yes, it's a dancing competition but personalities are EXTREMELY important because it's a REALITY show anyway.

I would never, in a million years, would imagine that I would be watching this show. Its just not me. But I got hooked because of the personalities of the actors who make this show a joy to watch.

Jerry, George, Lisa, Stacy, Drew and to the point even Master P THEY made the show not the professional dancers. Although we like them too
    Well I like that they cast "personalities". On "Survivor" for example, or "Amazing Race" I always want one or more of the jerks to go far simply to keep it interesting.

But I don't want the process manipulated for that to happen. I like enough of the "personalities" there that the natural process will keep SOMEONE interesting around without any destruction of what the show is supposed to be about.

Why? Because I also have this annoying unpopular quirk in that I tend to want talent shows to be about talent. The term "reality show" is a recent invention. Talent shows have existed since broadcast TV began, a half century or more before "reality TV" was even a germ of a concept, and thus there's no inherent argument for them being subject to some modern interpretation that "reality" must be about pleasing audiences.

Not that audiences can't be the ones to decide talent instead of so-called "experts", but when the claim is that the show is to find someone with a specific skill--a talent--then I think it also makes perfect sense to somewhat mistrust a population without specific knowledge of that skill. And it gets even a bit more outrageous when arguments start to pop up that someone "deserves" it because they have smaller lips, or seem nicer, or "look hot", or whatever. Those are all valid opinions, but that's why someone somewhere has to decide whats literally a popularity contest from what a talent contest, without falling back on "it's a reality show" to encapsulate it all without actually making a decision.

In other words... HAVING personalities = good. Focusing on those personalities to make a determination instead of talent = bad, or at least bad if the show is being presented as talent-based.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

I must say I thought George really gave it his hip-moving all. The guy is 67 this year. He was great. No he cannot do all the lifts like the youngsters. He was great. I gave all 20 of our votes to George. (We have 4 phone lines.)

Jerry was terrible. I really love Jerry Rice, too. I don't like his partner, though. I really wanted Jerry to win from the beginning, but alas, not gonna be. He'sa great guy, just way too stiff. His dance was not believable, and there was zero passion in it. (very disappointing)

Jerry's exit will either be tonight or next week. Top 3 Lisa, Drew and Stacy. I predict Drew to be the ultimate winner, though. He's got charm and charisma when he dances. I love Lisa Rinna, but I cannot get past that Louie guy. I just think he dances weird. Stacy's got the sexy partner.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by dberk View Post
    I was surprised that the judges liked it so much. Her outfit didn't suit the dance and she seemed awkward at times. Also there were strange breaks in the dance. His dancing seemed out of control.
    I tried watching objectively, and I have to admit, I thought pretty much the same thing, dberk. Her footwork was just okay and the dances all seem to be about showcasing her legs. Apparently it's working, though, with both the judges and the audience.

I hope George and Jerry survive and I split my votes between them. I think Lisa should go home because, unlike the judges, I don't see her as so wonderful. Her moves are choppy and other than the spotlight dance moves last night, she and her partner are not very good.

Jerry did amazing work in the spotlight. Did you notice he not only did a lift, Anna actually switched positions while up on his shoulder? And Drew did an excellent job with his lift, especially to consider he's a small guy and not an athlete or professional dancer.

My picks for eliminations -
    This week - Lisa
    Next week - George
    Second Runner up - Stacy
    First Runner up - Jerry
    Winner - Drew

Quote Originally Posted by Krom View Post
    Well I like that they cast "personalities". On "Survivor" for example, or "Amazing Race" I always want one or more of the jerks to go far simply to keep it interesting.

But I don't want the process manipulated for that to happen. I like enough of the "personalities" there that the natural process will keep SOMEONE interesting around without any destruction of what the show is supposed to be about.

Why? Because I also have this annoying unpopular quirk in that I tend to want talent shows to be about talent. The term "reality show" is a recent invention. Talent shows have existed since broadcast TV began, a half century or more before "reality TV" was even a germ of a concept, and thus there's no inherent argument for them being subject to some modern interpretation that "reality" must be about pleasing audiences.

Not that audiences can't be the ones to decide talent instead of so-called "experts", but when the claim is that the show is to find someone with a specific skill--a talent--then I think it also makes perfect sense to somewhat mistrust a population without specific knowledge of that skill. And it gets even a bit more outrageous when arguments start to pop up that someone "deserves" it because they have smaller lips, or seem nicer, or "look hot", or whatever. Those are all valid opinions, but that's why someone somewhere has to decide whats literally a popularity contest from what a talent contest, without falling back on "it's a reality show" to encapsulate it all without actually making a decision.

In other words... HAVING personalities = good. Focusing on those personalities to make a determination instead of talent = bad, or at least bad if the show is being presented as talent-based.
    Could not have said it better myself!!!!!

It is a dancing contest with some "personalities" added for entertainment factor...BUT ultimately it is a DANCING Contest and people should not win just because they are funny. Now if it were a comedy contest maybe I could buy that!

Gerorge has stayed beyond his time...as the judges said this is the semi finals and only the best "dancers" should be in it!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast