Closed Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Samantha Harris - Co-host

Re: Samantha Harris - Co-host

Samantha is not good at improv, which is why she stumbles and bumbles her way through at times. She also asks questions which are inappropriate, like about personal lives or "romance" rumors, etc.

What I liked about Drew was that he asked logical questions of the dancers, which I enjoyed, rather than the tabloid info she tries to pull out of them at times.

I think Mel B. would be a better host than Samantha, anyone who has a quick wit and can think on their feet would do a much better job.

Tom is absolutely brilliant, and by comparisson Samantha just can't match his quick wit.

FORT Newbie

I, too, have no idea how Samantha managed to get this job. I just don't see it. Drew Lachey could co-host (and dance) circles around her.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Drew Lachey took over at the perfect time and perfect season. He and Tom and the judges all just had that quick wit and comedic chemistry that Tom and Samantha lack. She just seems to by the book and serious. As some others pointed out, being paired with a guy like Tom doesn't really do her any favors. He can crack jokes and make smart remarks at the drop of a hat and on his own. Samantha seems to rely more on what she's told to say rather than dropping in her own smart alec remarks when the opportunity arises. I had completely forgotten that this show had a different co-host season 1. I wonder how Samantha got this job in the first place.

But I guess I'm glad that the judges and hosts don't make this show about them and focus on the contestants. There's AI for that.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3401158;
    Drew Lachey took over at the perfect time and perfect season. He and Tom and the judges all just had that quick wit and comedic chemistry that Tom and Samantha lack. She just seems to by the book and serious. As some others pointed out, being paired with a guy like Tom doesn't really do her any favors. He can crack jokes and make smart remarks at the drop of a hat and on his own. Samantha seems to rely more on what she's told to say rather than dropping in her own smart alec remarks when the opportunity arises. I had completely forgotten that this show had a different co-host season 1. I wonder how Samantha got this job in the first place.

But I guess I'm glad that the judges and hosts don't make this show about them and focus on the contestants. There's AI for that.
    I think you hit the nail on the head that her and Tom lack chemistry. That is what good co-hosts have. But, since she lacks the ability to speak off-script, she can't do it. Tom is quick and comes up with one-liners on his own, it would be great to see him with a co-host who could feed off of that and create a more entertaining hosting team.

Quote Originally Posted by ASassyKat;3397316;
    Samantha is not good at improv, which is why she stumbles and bumbles her way through at times. She also asks questions which are inappropriate, like about personal lives or "romance" rumors, etc.

What I liked about Drew was that he asked logical questions of the dancers, which I enjoyed, rather than the tabloid info she tries to pull out of them at times.

I think Mel B. would be a better host than Samantha, anyone who has a quick wit and can think on their feet would do a much better job.

Tom is absolutely brilliant, and by comparisson Samantha just can't match his quick wit.
    these are samantha's primary problems. what bugs me the most about her is that she's been doing this job for long enough that she should have picked up some of the banter skills needed. if she can't pick it up, then she's just not a good fit. there are plenty of people that look beautiful in ball gowns that could do this job much better than samantha is doing it.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Samantha is so oblivious to some of the funny stuff going on around her because she is strictly from the script. Back to the week when Steve/Karina were in the dance off and got their scores, where Bruno had his paddle backwards. Everyone noticed and started laughing and she just kept talking through it. I also remember last season when Julianne came back and Cody was standing between her and Edyta and Samantha made an awkward moment when she asked if Cody was able to concentrate on his dancing. She also doesn't really display much emotion. I think Tom would be better off hosting this thing by himself.

Re: 4/14 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3414663;
    I'm not defending Samantha although I probably like her better than you do, but does she really have an eating disorder? (verified)
    From her official site:

Samantha is a four-time cover girl for Muscle & Fitness HERS and has also graced the covers of FitParent, Pregnancy & Newborn, Pilates Style. She has been featured in SELF, SHAPE, People, US Weekly, In Touch, Life & Style, and FHM magazines. As a fitness enthusiast, she loves dancing, cardio-sculpting classes, yoga and hiking but will also confess… she’s a dessert fanatic!
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by Nova14;3414828;
    I think Samantha's arms are what throws her whole body off. She's think but her arms are so defined and so skinny that they don't look pretty. Look at her and take the arms out of the picture and she doesn't look bad at all. It seems maybe she went a little overboard in the arm department getting her pre-baby body back. I have to admit that I think she's beautiful on the whole.
    I prefer the softer, curvier types but I will say that for her, the arms are what I noticed first - as in, "wow, get a load of those arms!" She put in a lot of work to get that kind of definition, and apparently fitness is her bag.
    While we're on the subject, I think her over the top fitness regimen is responsible for her rigid posture, and possibly the deep voice. Doesn't sound all that appealing but she is an attractive woman.
    I have wondered what she's look like without all the makeup though........

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3414857;
    I prefer the softer, curvier types but I will say that for her, the arms are what I noticed first - as in, "wow, get a load of those arms!" She put in a lot of work to get that kind of definition, and apparently fitness is her bag.
    While we're on the subject, I think her over the top fitness regimen is responsible for her rigid posture, and possibly the deep voice. Doesn't sound all that appealing but she is an attractive woman.
    I have wondered what she's look like without all the makeup though........
    I personally think her arms are kind of thin, but I lke her overall willowy shape; her dresses are usually gorgeous, and she looks beautiful.

I was impressed with how quickly she was able to regain her pre-baby shape.
    Because I was sick the whole time I was pregnant, I had no weight to lose, but still it took a while to get back into shape even with no weight to lose.
    She has done a marvelous job of regaining her figure.

On another note, although it is true that she cannot compare to Tom who is upfront slinging one line zingers, I think she does a good job backstage offering compassion; therein, I feel that she and Tom balance and compliment each other in their hostessing duties.

Quote Originally Posted by TinaBanana;3401157;
    I, too, have no idea how Samantha managed to get this job. I just don't see it. Drew Lachey could co-host (and dance) circles around her.
    I just checked out her bio, and she actually did have quite a bit of experience as an entertainment correspondent prior to DWTS, so I assume that, combined with her good looks, got her the job. At the time, I guess nobody thought about the need for her to be glib or quick-witted, especially since they had that in spades with Tom Bergeron. By now, they are probably aware of her many "detractors", but since there is no evidence that viewers are turning off the show because of her, I bet they feel her bloopers add to the charm of what is admittedly a campy good time.

Closed Thread