+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Carrie Ann Inaba – Judge

FORT Fogey

Re: Judge: Carrie Ann Inaba

I don't think they should be graded on "difficulty" at all. They should be graded on how well they execute the steps that are in their own routine. It should not matter what anyone else is doing IMO.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by SavhLaney;2991984;
    I don't think they should be graded on "difficulty" at all. They should be graded on how well they execute the steps that are in their own routine. It should not matter what anyone else is doing IMO.
    I disagree. If they didn't take difficulty into consideration, then there is absolutely no motivation for very strong dancers to try more difficult steps in their routines. They could all go out there, do the most boring slow steps that fit the description of the given dance, and get 10s every week. Stronger dancers have the ability to do more, and should be pushed (and rewarded) for doing so.

I think the reality is that as much as we'd like to believe there is some concise set of rules for determining the scores, there is not. Just like the viewers at home vote on varied criteria that boils down to "I liked it", the judges judge that way. To some respect, the numbers they hold up are their way of saying "I'd vote this many times if I had a phone in front of me and unlimited calls". Like us,they consider difficulty, technical aspects, audience response, entertainment factor, and a general emotional response into consideration. The only real difference is that they've got more of a basis for a lot of the technical aspects than most of us do.

Dancing is a lot like diving or skating. It wouldn't be fair to give the same judging score to a diver who did a swan dive as a diver who executed a 2 1/2 inward twisting dive. That is why they multiply the score by a difficulty factor. Same thing in skating. How do you compare a single jump with a double or triple? Now granted, if the triple isn't "clean" or they fall, it has to lose some points, but the difficulty is factored into the overall score.

So how does Carry Ann score Marissa the same as Kristi when her dance wasn't nearly as difficult and she missed steps (jete .. a small leap)? Not only was she not "clean", but there was a much lower level of difficulty.

However, everyone is allowed to like who they like I'd just like to see the scoring done better.
    Tahoe bound....

FORT Fogey

The judges often speak about the emotions of the dances. Emotion and crowd reaction should certainly be taken into consideration. But if a dancer chooses to do a more difficult move and doesn't execute it, then they should be marked down for it. They shouldn't get bonus points just for trying it IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2992012;
    I disagree. If they didn't take difficulty into consideration, then there is absolutely no motivation for very strong dancers to try more difficult steps in their routines. They could all go out there, do the most boring slow steps that fit the description of the given dance, and get 10s every week. Stronger dancers have the ability to do more, and should be pushed (and rewarded) for doing so.

I think the reality is that as much as we'd like to believe there is some concise set of rules for determining the scores, there is not. Just like the viewers at home vote on varied criteria that boils down to "I liked it", the judges judge that way. To some respect, the numbers they hold up are their way of saying "I'd vote this many times if I had a phone in front of me and unlimited calls". Like us,they consider difficulty, technical aspects, audience response, entertainment factor, and a general emotional response into consideration. The only real difference is that they've got more of a basis for a lot of the technical aspects than most of us do.
    I agree with you Veruka. I also wonder about what directives the judges are given in terms of what's good for the show. I would have supposed that the judges, unlike the viewers, were expressing their expert opinions on the quality and difficulty of the dances. This season seems to have gotten more away from that. imo, the judges should be accurately scoring the dancers according to their difficulty, etc. from an objective viewpoint and the viewer is left to vote for their favorites--subjectively. The scoring of Marissa has been ridiculously high imo. It's up to us to determine who we want to see dance but I prefer for to be able to rely on the judges to more accurately evaluate the individual dancers. I wonder if the judges are busy trying to play to the audience in one way or another and not just freely judge. They seem to be taking turns in being "cranky" or "overly picky". I was very interested in Max's opinions this morning on GMA.

Quote Originally Posted by SavhLaney;2992124;
    The judges often speak about the emotions of the dances. Emotion and crowd reaction should certainly be taken into consideration. But if a dancer chooses to do a more difficult move and doesn't execute it, then they should be marked down for it. They shouldn't get bonus points just for trying it IMO.
    The problem with Marissa is that she has been consistently criticized for not executing the dance properly, but not been marked down properly, imo. In my opinion it appears that the judges are trying not to be non-pc by not scoring her as low as they should because she's so engaging and because she's chubby.

That's ridiculous. If that was the protocol, everyone would do the easiest possible routine, which would quickly get boring. Attempting a very difficult routine (as long as you don't completely botch it) and just doing well is a lot better than doing an easy routine perfectly.

Time to resurrect this thread.

In another thread I said that I don’t understand the (often) extreme dislike of of Carrie Ann Inaba, and asked for some explanations. While I recognize and respect that we are al entitled to our own opinions, I’m still as baffled as I was before.

One criticism that keeps coming up again and again is the accusation that CAI gives higher scores to the hot guys and is mean to the females. Excuse me?? I’ve watched DWTS from the beginning – I haven’t missed an episode, and this simply is not true.

She has given high scores (9s and 10s) to many females. I can’t name them all off the top of my head, but Kelly Monaco (the first winner), Sabrina Bryan, Lisa Rinna, Leila Ali, Kristi Yamaguchi (winner), Marissa Jaret Winokur, and Melissa Rycroft come to mind. Winokur and Rycroft were consistently grossly overscored (and coddled) from the get-go. As far as Winokur, after several weeks the judges finally decided to get real with her and gave her 8s. But many people got angry and blamed only Carrie Ann. Why? Because “Love me, aren’t I adorable” Marissa felt she deserved at least 9s, despite her mediocre performance and upon getting the 8s (from all 3 judges) she welled up in tears.

Another criticism is that Carrie Ann is mean and bi@#hy to Tony Dovolani. Let’s look at this for a minute. I don’t know if those two have had issues behind the scenes or not. But this is what I do know: When Carrrie Ann (along with Bruno and Len) was mildly critical of Marissa Jaret Winokur, Tony mumbled under his breath and rolled his eyes while Carrie Ann was speaking. She said “What? You have something to say?” Tony just rolled his eyes again, and poor widdle mistreated Marissa patted him arm. So who was really the bi@#h?

As far as current contestant Melissa Rycroft, certainly no meanness there. Any moment I expect the judges to nominate this woman for sainthood. And for WHAT?

As far as Carrie Ann being nicer to the hot guys, apparently a lot of people have forgotten about the hottest guy and (one of the) best male dancers on the show – Mario Lopez. Carrie Ann slammed him and chastised him for ‘disrespecting the rules’ and breaking the hold in a tango, among other things.

Yes, Carrie Ann has given 10s to current contesttant Gilles Marini - but so have Len and Bruno.

Len was very harsh with singer Mario – it was shameful Bruno was unnecessarily harsh with Woz, Kenny Mayne, and a few others. Generally speaking, Len and Bruno have been much harsher with male performers than Carrie Ann has ever been with men.

The reasons that some people are looking for to dislike Carrie Ann just are not there. If you don't like her, fine, but I'm just pointing out the reasons for it do not hold up.

Despite David Alan Grier’s disgusting rant, Carrie Ann does have a lot more than 4 sentences in her resume. He’s a liar. Look at the “Career” section in the following link:

Carrie Ann Inaba - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

DAG obviously didn’t get enough votes to save him, so that’s Carrie Ann’s fault? After the dance-off, the judges (including Carrie Ann) raised his scores. And for that DAG told them to kiss his butt. Go figure. Could it be that DAG resents that – unlike him - since the “In Living Color” days Carrie Ann has been working steadily and getting regular paychecks?

Hmmm. Well, DAG, that also applies to a couple other people you may have heard of~~> Jennifer Lopez and Jim Carrey.

I forgot Brooke Burke (another female winner who got high scores from Carrie Ann).

I am not someone who has a dislike of CAI, but I disagree with your comments about Marissa and Melissa. I also watched every episode in season 6, but didn't remember the scoring situation you alluded too, so I checked on wikipedia (I know it's not always accurate), and according to them, in weeks 4 and 5, Marissa received straight 8's from the judges (highest for her yet), and after that her scores ranged from a low of 25 to a high of 27. So I'm not sure when the scenario you mention occurred. I do agree that she was definitely overscored in general.
    Last edited by Marleybone; 04-12-2009 at 03:06 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast