+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Carrie Ann Inaba – Judge

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lady;2121393;
    Ok, I was just watching In Living Color (comedy show from back in the day started by Kenon Ivory Wayans), and I could of swore when Kenon was introducing the fly girls, when he said Carrie Ann, it looked like the Carrie Ann from DWTS...Anyone know for sure if she was indeed a Fly Girl...
    Inaba appeared as one of the "Fly Girls," a group of backing dancers on the television series In Living Color from 1990 to 1992.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

OMGOODNESS!!! That is her!

She was a very good dancer.

Remember, J. Lo was ALSO a Fly Girl. And Rosie Perez was their choreographer, so it could be argued that SHE has a lot to do with both of their dance educations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Livi...ance_troupe.29

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Quote Originally Posted by paulvons;1438419;
    I just realized she was one of the dancers from the show "In Living Color". Thanks
    Really? Which one was she? I remember JLo and Rosie Perez, but not her. Oh well.

Carrie Ann gives a great interview here

'Dancing' Queen Carrie Ann Inaba Comes Clean

Oct. 30 -- You probably didn't know she choreographed for 'American Idol,' was once a huge pop star in Japan, played Fook Yu in 'Austin Powers in Goldmember' or pole danced in one of Madonna's world tours.

But those experiences are just what prepared Carrie Ann Inaba to offer up her opinions and sage advice to the celebs and dancers as a judge on ABC's hit reality competition 'Dancing With the Stars.'

In a wide-ranging one-on-one with AOL Television editor Geoff Bennett, Carrie explained her "tough" method of judging, gave props to J. Lo and denied any and all responsibility for Taylor Hicks' dancing moves.

How did you get involved with 'Dancing With the Stars'?
    My agent sent me a videotape of it and said that they were interviewing choreographers to be judges. I saw the tape and I loved it immediately; they've been doing it in the U.K. for a long time. I went in and interviewed with pretty much every other choreographer here in Los Angeles and New York. And we would go in, and they would match up different people to see the chemistry. And in the end, I ended up being very lucky and they chose me.

You've choreographed for a lot of reality shows -- 'America's Got Talent' and 'American Idol,' among others. I guess you like working with people who aren't naturally dancers.
    Yeah, I do. I really love it. Dance has been such a wonderful gift in my life, and it's really taught me another level of expression. And I love seeing people tap into that knowledge; it's a beautiful thing. I see it each week on 'Dancing With the Stars.' I see these transformations happen, and they learn something else about their bodies that I've known for a long time. And I do love working with people who don't move well. It's a little more rewarding.

So who are you favorite celebrity dancers from the show?
    I loved Drew Lachey. I thought he was fantastic. He was kind of a slow and steady climber, and he did really well. John O'Hurley was amazing the first season -- he had the magic when it counted. And I liked Lisa Rinna also. This year, I think Emmitt [Smith] is fantastic. I think there's a natural ease to him that's really fun to watch. And Mario Lopez is a fantastic dancer, as is Joey [Lawrence]. This year the entire cast is amazing. I'm really sad that Willa [Ford] left because she was turning out to be quite the dancer.

You sometimes get the label of being the "tough judge," and I'm wondering if it's fair to judge people based on their ability, or should there be a single standard?
    We judge them all on a variety of things. So, I look at it this way: I look for each person, when they step out on the dance floor, to give me a ten. And anytime I see something that's not quite right, then I take off points. It's not that I'm judging them against each other or against a scale. I judge them based on if that's their ten. And if it wasn't, I take off points. I can see so many things because I've been dancing and choreographing for a long time. So I can see where things aren't going right or where things are really going well.

I've read on message boards where people were asking why the judges sort of lean in to the middle of the table and hit something once a performance is over. What is that?
    Oh! (Laughs) From the moment they finish dancing to when they walk over to Tom, we have to press a button, which is our score. First, we have to give them a number score. We press it into the computer, so producers can have it flash up later on. And as a back-up, we also write it on a piece of paper. So when they see us reaching to the center to write something, that's what we're doing. If the technical aspect fails or if one of us punches in too many numbers -- because sometimes we're so excited -- then they come and they get the [written] numbers so there's a way to double-check.

Do you know the Wednesday night results in advance?
    Nope! (Laughs) We have no idea. They don't tell us anything.

Is there any chance we may see the judges dance?
    I would love it. I don't think the producers have any intention of letting us dance. I think we're there to complement the professionals. And the show isn't called 'Dancing With the Judges.' (Laughs) It's called 'Dancing With the Stars,' and I think that's what people want to see. We've all had our careers as dancers, and now we're kind of set out to pasture. (Laughs)

Speaking of your dancing career, you've toured with a bunch of pop stars like Ricky Martin and Madonna. What was your reaction when Madonna asked you to shave your head for her 'Girlie Show' tour?
    I was a little scared because I had really, really long hair. I had just finished being a Fly Girl, so my hair was really long. But I thought about it -- to have an opportunity to tour with Maddona?! Yes, I'll do it. And she was smart. She didn't ask us after she booked us; it was the last question in the audition. We were still standing in line after she had cut everybody over three days. And the final 10 or 12 of us were there. And she was like, "Are you willing to cut your hair?" And what are you really gonna say: No?! And it was quite a wonderful experience. Not many people get to say they shaved their head bald and got to travel the world with Madonna.

You mentioned you were a Fly Girl on 'In Living Color.' Were you there the same time as Jennifer Lopez?
    I was on the first three seasons, and Jennifer came on in the third season.

Was it kind of bizarre watching her turn into a huge star?
    There was nothing bizarre about it. That girl is a star. She always has been and always be. She's got so much energy and vitality and is not afraid to go for her dreams, and she was like that from day one. I have so much respect for her.

But you started as a pop star too, right? You were famous as a teen pop singer in Japan. What happened? Was it not what you thought it was going to be?
    You know, it wasn't what I thought it was going to be. I grew up watching Sting and Prince and amazing artists, and when I went there [to Japan], I learned it was more about pop culture. And really what they're doing it marketing your face. And it had nothing to do with creating a great song or a great lyric. It's about getting the product out there very quickly. But it was a fantastic experience. I got to learn so much about how the business works, and I got to live in a foreign country and I met people from all over the world who are still my close friends. That experience was profound for me because I was just a little girl from Hawaii.

What did you learn from it?
    I'm very thankful for that experience because it kind of prepared me for what's going on right now. There's a bit of celebrity that comes with being a judge on 'Dancing With the Stars,' and I know not to take it very seriously. I know not to get caught up in myself.

I've seen you co-hosting 'The View' a couple times. Are you up for Star's spot?
    I don't know. All I know is they've asked me to do it twice, and I had a great time. And it's no pressure. All my friends were asking me, "So are you nervous?" And I wasn't nervous because there's no sort of responsibility. I'm just responsible for myself. Just chatting with the girls is a great experience. But on 'Dancing With the Stars,' I get nervous before every show because there's such a responsibility to judge the celebrities and the dancing partners who've worked so hard all week and give them fair scores.

So are you still working with 'American Idol'?
    Yeah. I worked with them this past season. I don't work with them until they get to the stage, and that's not usually until March. If they ask me back and if my schedule permits, I hope to do it again.

It seems the approach to dancing has changed on that show. I remember a few seasons back when they'd have those huge, campy dance numbers. Those are gone now -- thankfully.
    Yeah, if someone doesn't want to dance, don't make them dance. That show is not about dancing; it's about singing. It's more about making the contestants feel comfortable. I just stage numbers on that show. In the beginning, they had a choreographer who did a lot of choreography, and the first season I came on, I did it too because I thought that's what they wanted. And once I felt more comfortable with my position on that show, I kind of stepped away from that. It would be wonderful if we had a season of people on that show who could actually sing and dance. We could stage some amazing numbers. This year especially, they were all stars in their own right, so it was really about giving them space to be a star.

So Taylor's moves were all his own?
    Yeah, I take no claim for Taylor's moves. (Laughs)
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Re: Judge: Carrie Ann Inaba

Artem is on the DWTS ABC website doing dance moves...videos by Carrie Ann showing different styles of dance!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

They're a really cute couple.

I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

FORT Fogey

I have a question about the judging, based on a comment Carrie Ann made last night.

Do they judge each competitor independantly based on how they perform the steps in their dance? Or do they compare each person's dance to the others done that night?

Quote Originally Posted by SavhLaney;2991351;
    I have a question about the judging, based on a comment Carrie Ann made last night.

Do they judge each competitor independantly based on how they perform the steps in their dance? Or do they compare each person's dance to the others done that night?
    It seems that they judge them independently based on how well they did their dance. Clearly, they realized that Kristi's dance was many times more difficult than the rest, but because it wasn't performed perfectly, two of the three judges gave her 9s.

That's why I think there has to be a change in scoring where the performance score is multiplied by a degree-of-difficulty number or something. It's simply not fair for someone who is doing more difficult choreography to end up with the same score as someone who isn't (although I suppose we could consider it the great equalizer for Kristi's superior ability coming into the competition).
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

I don't think Kristi needs "an equalizer" just being female is a HUGE stumbling block. The female dancers parts are much more intriciate and technical and the fact that Kristi is doing things that professional dancers would do, is amazing. The men don't have to do much besides hold their frame while their Pro dances all around them. Carrie Ann should take points off of everyone else for lack of difficulty.
    Tahoe bound....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast