+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Charlotte Jorgensen - Professional Dancer

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbat
    She does look much older when in costume and the 50's Grace Kelly hair do but on the clips she looks much younger than her years. She is very beautiful.
    Like most Danish women, she's got that white blonde, blue eyed, high-cheek boned look. Scandinavia is a Gorgeous Women factory, I swear.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: Charlotte Jorgensen - Professional Dancer

Since a couple of us were discussing Charlotte in the finale thread thought I'd dig up her thread and post this recent interview from her.

Funny NativeNewYorker that we're both thinking of her and doing a little more digging I found this interview from her. It's pretty interesting to read, but here's her take on her DWTS experience:

Interview with CHARLOTTE JORGENSEN - Ballroom Dance Channel Social

Turning to Dancing With the Stars

Q: I read the following: John O’Hurley regards you with the highest esteem and speaks for the American dance community when he states that it was you, Charlotte, who showed him the true beauty of the dance, who taught him that he actually could dance and that in dancing there is the supreme release of the spirit. What was that experience like for you?

Charlotte: DWTS was a wonderful experience. I was given a stellar partner and John and I had an absolute blast. Initially I am not sure John actually realized how much we were going to have to work. He would give me 2 days a week for 2 hours a day to rehearse, which would have been impossible. I thought, that the only way I would get him to commit more of his time, was if I made him fall in love with dancing, the way I had always been. So that became my “mission”, and I believed that I succeeded in that. We worked really hard and John really committed himself to the process and he trusted me, which is such an important part of dancing. That I was able to communicate the true purpose of dancing to him, was an added benefit and only possible because John recognized what supreme release of the spirit is!

It was fun to be part of the very first shows because there was no expectation attached to the outcome, as no one knew whether it would be a success or not. Therefore the whole experience was very innocent and exciting. We all worked so hard to make it happen and were on such a high because America responded. Of course on a personal note it gave me an opportunity to look into a completely different world and to learn how TV is produced, have an insight into so to speak into “another life” by momentarily doing interviews for TV and press etc. Certainly something very much out of the ordinary for me with regards to the scale. Denmark is a small country compared to the vast publicity machine that drives American entertainment.

Q: Would you want to come back if asked?

Charlotte: Would I come back if I was asked? Hmmmm…….. Interesting question – I would definitely consider coming back if asked. They did ask me to come back for the second season, but I declined. I actually wanted to host the show with Tom, but the production was not interested, which is fair enough. I am sure I would be intrigued to go back to see what it is like now……. You made me think now…… Oh well, at the moment I need not worry about it, since it is just hypothetical!

Q: Did the season on DWTS have any effect on your life after it was over?

Charlotte: I think any experience you go through is bound to have an effect on you if you have any sense of perspective in you. On a professional level I got some interesting offers, which I would otherwise not have had the opportunity to do, but more so on a personal level…….. In 8 days I will marry my childhood sweetheart, who saw the first show on the first night of the first season….. His mother was a visiting dance teacher at my Danish dance school. We first met in London in 1985. Anyway to make a long story short, we met up in late summer of 2006 and are getting married on October 26th. So when you ask what effects DWTS had on my life after the show, well I am so grateful to have been on the show because it changed the course of my life…..

Q: I saw that you and John developed 2 instructional DVDs, how did you come up with that idea?

Charlotte: During the long hours of rehearsals, and as John fell more and more in love with dancing, he wanted to share with others that it is possible to learn to dance even if you have always considered yourself having two left feet. And then one day in the studio, we just happened to talk about doing a DVD and 6 months later we did it. I think if you ask John today he still loves to dance…… and I will most certainly be dancing with him again at my wedding!
    So maybe there is hope after all that she'll return. At least she seems interested. And if not for dancing, then can Samantha and bring Charlotte on board as a host. I never thought about using one of the pros as the co-host but at this point, a paper bag is better than Samantha. I wondered if it was just a comedic effect ABC wanting in using Samantha, but she's not even funny. She also mentions that she judges, so if Len ever needs to take a break there's another excuse to bring her back. Since Michael Flatley is getting his own dance show I don't think he'd be available.

And for being almost 40, Charlotte is still looking great! I think it'd be interesting to bring her, Louis, and Nick back with the current crop of pros. It'd probably be an interesting dynamic.
    Last edited by karalott; 11-30-2008 at 03:40 PM.

Re: Charlotte Jorgensen - Professional Dancer

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3243016;
    Since a couple of us were discussing Charlotte in the finale thread thought I'd dig up her thread and post this recent interview from her.

Funny NativeNewYorker that we're both thinking of her and doing a little more digging I found this interview from her. It's pretty interesting to read, but here's her take on her DWTS experience:

Interview with CHARLOTTE JORGENSEN - Ballroom Dance Channel Social

So maybe there is hope after all that she'll return. At least she seems interested. And if not for dancing, then can Samantha and bring Charlotte on board as a host. I never thought about using one of the pros as the co-host but at this point, a paper bag is better than Samantha. I wondered if it was just a comedic effect ABC wanting in using Samantha, but she's not even funny. She also mentions that she judges, so if Len ever needs to take a break there's another excuse to bring her back. Since Michael Flatley is getting his own dance show I don't think he'd be available.

And for being almost 40, Charlotte is still looking great! I think it'd be interesting to bring her, Louis, and Nick back with the current crop of pros. It'd probably be an interesting dynamic.

karalott -

Thanks so much for posting this! It was great to find out what has happened to her since she was on the show. I also thought it very interesting that they did ask her to come back for the second season. I am surprised that she wanted to co-host rather than dance. But I have to say that she would be a fantastic replacement for Samantha. That woman just has to go. She is really an embarrassment.

Charlotte always impressed me as a very kind and generous person. I would think being a co-host would give her a chance to show off her people skills.

I am just glad that she is married and happy. I would love to see her back in any capacity. I wonder if she would be tough enough to dish out the kind of criticism that we hear from the judges. I think she is someone who would try to give constructive critisicm, rather than fall back on insults or one-liners.

Thanks again for finding this. It's a joy to read about her.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12