+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Louis Van Amstel - Professional Dancer

Louis Van Amstel - Professional Dancer

From the official site:
    ACHIEVEMENTS:

United States Professional Latin American champion (2000)
    7 Time Dutch National Amateur Champion
    European Amateur Latin Champion ('95)
    World Amateur Latin Champion ('94, '95)
    Grand Slam Latin Champion ('95)
    World Professional Showdance Champion ('96)
    Professional World Latin Finalist ('96)

STATS:

Style: Latin
    Height: 5'7" Nationality: Dutch
    Based in: Utah
    Status: Retired from competing, but regularly appears in exhibition performances. Has produced dance shows on Broadway (Latin Fusion) and in Salt Lake City (Latin Revolution).

CELEBRITY PARTNER:

Louis is partnering Trista Sutter, reality star of The Bachelor and The Bachelorette.

BACKGROUND:

Louis first began his dance career at an early age, training in a theater school gaining a solid background in ballet, tap, and jazz. Upon graduating, Louis attended the University of the Arts in Amsterdam to further strengthen his skills in the classical dances and theory.

Unlike many dancers Louis has a strong psychological approach to teaching. He trains under legendary dance guru Dr. Ruud Vermeij who has a holistic approach towards dancing. Louis is also a student of Laban choreology and is well versed in human movement dynamics.

DANCING:

Upon immigrating to the United States, Louis quickly became the U.S. National Latin Champion in 2000 and founded the company VanDance, LLC. Through VanDance Louis directed, choreographed and performed in Latin Fusion, a feature production on Broadway at City Center in New York City.

He is certain he will change his celebrity's life through dance and he is convinced that his celebrity will be the best dancer on the floor.

Embracing the Inner Geek museumguy's Avatar
    a dancing Yoda.....say it aint so........the dance be with you.....

I love his hair when they showed it loose during practice. There's just SOMETHING about guys with long hair!!!!
    "My life gets less like chess and more like whack-a-mole every day."
    <-- "I'm Hexy and I know it!"

Louis Van Iamstellar needs to be pinned down and have his greasy hair chopped off.. if only to knock him down a peg. That ego is what has shaped that horrid head of his.

These two were my least favorite couple, as they just appeared to play for the crowd, and not each other. Too self absorbed to be enjoyable.

Was this the one who was so in love with himself?

LG.
    Not going to miss Louie too much. Trista hardly had room to dance with him partnering with his ego.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Quote Originally Posted by LG.
    Not going to miss Louie too much. Trista hardly had room to dance with him partnering with his ego.
    Yep, seems like Trista drew the short straw when she got that one. I definitely won't miss him but will miss her.

He looked like he wanted to smack her after the results!
    "My life gets less like chess and more like whack-a-mole every day."
    <-- "I'm Hexy and I know it!"

And if he's looking at this exposure to bring him work, his behavior couldn't have been more of a turnoff.

FORT Newbie
    Just to let you know, Louis doesn't need this exposure to bring him work -- he coaches the ex-US amateur champions (who have recently become professional); amongst other world class dancers and teams -- and his teaching schedule is almost always full. Also, in person, he is actually quite humble, and if anything, it was the network that requested him to sound that way.

The problem in the show was not really him, but rather Trista. You have to understand that Louis is all about the philosophy of dance, and places much emphasis on what is being expressed (from the Laban school); he trains World Class dancers, who are not afraid to express and emote -- which is probably why the whole Trista thing did not work; i.e., Trista was all about what her man thinks, and just couldn't summon the feeling within herself.

Also, if you did not realise, two of the three judges are not even actual ballroom dance judges; and the judge in the centre was a champion of exhibition ballroom -- and the sad but true fact is that most of the time, people that go into the "sidestream" catagories of ballroom do so because they had no chance in the mainstream.

In a real ballroom competition, amongst all the other dancers, the only two people that would even stand a chance would have been Trista and John, because they were the only two people who were actually dancing what was required in a real ballroom competition. In addition, they were the most technically proficient of all the celebs -- and while emotion and everything is important at open level competitions, if your technique ain't there, there is no chance in hell you'll even make it past heat 1.

P.S. Dancing is almost like acting -- that wass Trista's problem. If you can't act the part, then the part is just not for you -- Rumba is all about sex, especially at open level, and if you feel uncomfortable, then Rumba just ain't for you.
    Last edited by Hesperus; 06-09-2005 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Paragraphing

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast