+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324
Like Tree277Likes

Thread: 3/31 DWTS 18 Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

To the Point

Re: 3/31 DWTS 18 Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Luv'ed tonight's episode.

I used to fast forward through the interviews with Brooke as they always seemed so painful, so forced and uncomfortable but now that Erin Andrews is the co host I actually stop and listen to them now. In fact they are kinda fun. Who knew.
    Even when Erin flubs something up it isn't as painful. She is SOOO much better on the fly than Brooke was. Brooke is a beautiful woman but she really didn't add to, instead she took away from the entertainment value of the show.

Quote Originally Posted by DancingDad View Post
    Hi Jacegirl,

Yes and no.

Ice dance movement is very different from the waist down because you use the fine muscles in your legs to control the the edges while the larger muscles provide frame and power to generate flow across the ice. While on an edge the large muscle groups hardly move. When dancing on the floor you must keep your feet moving to keep the movement flowing.

From the waist up and ice dancers understand dance frame and posture even better than ballroom dancers do since errors in hold lead to separation in the ice in very short order. To cleanly do ice dancing you must truly move as one. Ice dancers are also at least as skilled in musicality and dance expression as ballroom dancers. This is where you really see Meryl and Charlie shine on the dance floor.

When it comes to lifts ice dancers are usually superior to their counterparts on wood. They first perfect their lifts off ice, then translate them onto the ice where they are done while traveling rapidly over the ice surface. The lifts also are being done while doing complex turns.

The conditioning of an Olympic athlete also comes into play here. Meryl and Charlie just won the Olympic gold medal. I would guess they are in better shape than any of the pros.

I remember commenting in an earlier season (I think with Evan Lysachek) that if they wanted a real ringer they would cast Tanith Belbin (Charlie's girlfriend and another ice dance champion) because of her dance background as well as skating skills. They basically just did the equivalent x 2. Not that I am complaining. I love the quality of the dance this season. I would just hate to be one of the other celebrities this season. That having been said, the best dancer doesn't always win this show. It is as much a popularity contest as it is a dance competition. I long ago quit complaining about injustices and now just enjoy the dancing.
    Hi DancingDad

Thanks so much for the great explanation. I agree completely with what you have said, and to be fair they were both talking about the feet part in the articles I saw. I know I'm not going to explain it properly because I have never ice danced so don't know the terminology. Their feet don't normally move in skates - like in pointing their toes and something to do with the way they take the steps on ice (I'm sure that's not the right terminology) versus the movement of the feet during dancing on wood. I agree they have all the rest going for them. I'm just so happy that both of them agreed to do this show because I absolutely love watching them perform - whether on ice or the wood floor.

I couldn't agree more with you about what I put in bold in your post. I have watched this show since Season 1 and that season my husband watched with me. He was so upset that John O'Hurley didn't win that season that he has refused to watch another season and he has kept that promise. I tell him he should take the attitude that we both do and just enjoy the dancing and forget about all the politics, etc., that goes into the show, but so far I can't get him to change his mind. He's stubborn, but he's my rock in every way possible.

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    Does anyone know when the switch-up voting results will be revealed? Are they going to make us wait until the next episode or is it going to be announced on Good Morning America or something? I've seen websites speculating on the switch-up pairings but it's hard to tell how accurate those are.
    I just found out and put it in the news/speculation part that the whole switch-up-voting was a waste of everyone's time. To put it bluntly it was a scam and will be decided by TPTB. I belong to another site and also watched the latest After Buzz where the girl who is the head host said be prepared for surprises and that was all she was allowed to say. From the sounds of it we may not hear anything until the show begins unless it starts to leak out.

Even though I think we all agree Billy Dee was not fit enough to do this show there is strong speculation that he was asked to leave the show and if he didn't withdraw he was going to be eliminated at the beginning of the show. He obviously withdrew. It's just to bad they don't stop with all the politics that goes on behind the scenes. I just want to see people dance because I love to watch them. I know they're in it for ratings only, but I think if they just left well enough alone and stopped with all the gimmicks which don't always work they would be fine. For what ever reason they always want to get the younger demographics and don't seem to care about those of us who may not fit in that young age bracket, but simply enjoy watching people dance. Don't they realize we purchase products as well?
    Last edited by Jaceegirl; 04-02-2014 at 04:17 PM.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I find it hard to believe that much tampering went on. The show has been announcing that this switch-up was audience choice from the beginning so why would they now say the votes don't count? And I wonder where this information is coming from. Is it from one of the show's producers? From the contestants on the show? From someone who claims to be in-the-know? Or just speculation? Frankly, it all sounds like conspiracy-theories gone crazy to me.

I haven't seen After Buzz and I can't watch it now because I'm at work. I tried searching the internet and couldn't find anything about the votes for the switch-up not counting.
    ilja likes this.
    Current Pools: Face Off 7, Masterchef 5, So You Think You Can Dance 11
    Upcoming Pools: Project Runway 13 Registration Deadline: July 31st

I don't care anymore, its for one week then they all go back to their original partners. I always thought TPTB would make the final decision -not a lot of tweeters( jmho) One week then we are back to normal. I don't know why this show thinks this will help ratings, they are going to bury this show!! SMH
    pikachu and Midol like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Once they explained the switch rules I actually look forward to the switch. It is only for one week so Meryl will go back to Maks (I love Meryl and I am not Maks' biggest fan but I like the new/improved Maks side that Meryl seems to bring out in him) and so on. Here are my thoughts to pairings.

We have no spoilers yet, but I am told that they are already rehearsing with the new partners and that some of the pairings are "surprising." I hope that they gave us some really interesting pairings since there is supposed to be no elimination next week.

I think that some celebs will be good no matter who they are paired with (Meryl, Charlie, maybe Amy and Danica) and others seem maybe weak (NeNe, Drew) I think that the partner switch will help us know who the people are that are being "propped up" by their pro and who are great with no matter whom they are paired with.

You will also see what an infusion of a new teaching style can do to a "non-dancer" like Candace, Drew, or NeNe. I think this will be fun for us who know already who we are voting for but will also give guidance to those who are figuring out who to vote for if they try to vote on ability.

Just my $0.02
    NFL1 and Tobi like this.
    "We were just going to do whatever it took to win."--Texas Longhorn Quarterback Colt McCoy

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I find it hard to believe that much tampering went on. The show has been announcing that this switch-up was audience choice from the beginning so why would they now say the votes don't count? And I wonder where this information is coming from. Is it from one of the show's producers? From the contestants on the show? From someone who claims to be in-the-know? Or just speculation? Frankly, it all sounds like conspiracy-theories gone crazy to me.

I haven't seen After Buzz and I can't watch it now because I'm at work. I tried searching the internet and couldn't find anything about the votes for the switch-up not counting.
    After Buzz just makes the announcement to prepare for surprises and she can't say anymore then that. The other comes from a very reliable site, but as I said I don't know if I am allowed to put in a link. I can pm you at least the name of it. They also mention another site that found out and reported the same information, but I am not part of the site.

I never had knowledge of a lot of the stuff going on behind the scenes and I can see why you would be skeptical as I was the same way until I joined the site.

Fanny is right it's just for one week and everyone returns to their same partners. I just feel bad for all the people who got so involved with all the Twitter business and spent a lot of time voting. I also agree with Fanny why the show thinks this type of stuff will help ratings is another unknown to me, but for whatever reason they do.

As to the conspiracies of whether or not the votes truly counted I ride on the fence.

On one hand, the producers never tell us who gets the most votes, only who gets the least combined total. They may totally be counting every one of our votes, but then again they may be deciding based on drama and ratings who to send home. I can see one or two surprise early exits a season based on realistic voting as maybe one of the "dancers" is a has-been with no built in voting base. I can't see it happening every week in the middle of the season like it did last year to get Bill and Jack into the final and Leah into the semi-final. Some of the pairings might be to appease the voters to popular pairings to keep them excited and then switching a few up to create some interesting pairings. I can also see them controlling the whole thing or leaving the whole thing up to the twitter votes.

What I have a problem with is the bit about Sean and Billy Dee. I have long been able to gauge the boos in the audience as a sign of how the voting public will vote. If they boo the judges bad comments/low scores, often the lowest scoring couple stays. Also, Diana was not really that famous and Sean was not a popular guy even to Hockey fans, which made my sister and I tell each other that we thought they were the most vulnerable to elimination and we were not surprised that Billy stayed on past week two. What I also noticed was legitimate pain on Billy Dee's face/body language during the training packages and both of his dances. I believe that he chose to leave on advice from his doctors and TPTB accommodated. I do think, though that they would've been eliminated (at the end of the show) for having the lowest vote total with the judges score.
    "We were just going to do whatever it took to win."--Texas Longhorn Quarterback Colt McCoy

Quote Originally Posted by Jaceegirl View Post
    After Buzz just makes the announcement to prepare for surprises and she can't say anymore then that. The other comes from a very reliable site, but as I said I don't know if I am allowed to put in a link. I can pm you at least the name of it. They also mention another site that found out and reported the same information, but I am not part of the site.

I never had knowledge of a lot of the stuff going on behind the scenes and I can see why you would be skeptical as I was the same way until I joined the site.

Fanny is right it's just for one week and everyone returns to their same partners. I just feel bad for all the people who got so involved with all the Twitter business and spent a lot of time voting. I also agree with Fanny why the show thinks this type of stuff will help ratings is another unknown to me, but for whatever reason they do.
    Finally saw some of After Buzz- interesting. I think Anna would make a terrific judge, maybe even take CA's place
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread