+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Danica McKellar & Valentin Chmerkovskiy - Season 18

To the Point

Re: Danica McKellar & Valentin Chmerkovskiy - Season 18

Ness, I get where you are coming from in regards to the injuries and continuing. It's hard not to question the smarts of people who don't decide to bag it when their body begins to pay a price. When I first read your posts I was shaking my head, totally agreeing with your sentiments and then it dawned on me that it's really no different than any other physical challenge that makes a person want to push themselves beyond what they imagine they can manage. I was involved in martial arts in what is referred to as middle age and I could not stand allowing my body to dictate what I could accomplish and I wasn't the only one. There were times that we would be participating in drills one handed because the other was injured, only kicking with one foot because the other was injured, having to avoid a certain part of our opponent's body because there were injuries. Crazy how one can choose to "play through" injuries. I suppose the secret is in knowing when to stop before causing permanent injury. Sometimes that is a really tough thing to figure out.
    ness likes this.

Melissa Rycroft was able to rest and not perform the week she had an injury. As I recall Lacey Schwimmer was the stand in. Danica didn't get that opportunity. I think it was very admirable that Danica performed not only in rehearsal, her dance and the live performance I hear was done with Derek dancing by himself. It would have been fun to have seen that.

So, for the dances she has left, the ballroom dances, Waltz, Tango and the Argentine Tango and the Paso Doble and Rumba...all keeping the upper body pretty still, and with Val working around the injury for any lifts left on the AT it seems to me that she should be able to get through it fine. She's done the more body stress ones up to this point. Cheryl Burke had some major injury to work around with Cristian de la Fuentes, and Gilles Marini and they got to top 3. Gilles injury happened week 1 and he kept up with the cortizone until the end.
    Last edited by EnglishCadbury; 04-30-2014 at 03:17 PM.
    Florimel likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by EnglishCadbury View Post
    Melissa Rycroft was able to rest and not perform the week she had an injury. As I recall Lacey Schwimmer was the stand in. Danica didn't get that opportunity. I think it was very admirable that Danica performed not only in rehearsal, her dance and the live performance I hear was done with Derek dancing by himself. It would have been fun to have seen that.
    Was the difference that Melissa was injured after dress rehearsal? I can't remember. I just remember watching the rehearsal footage (vs. a live performance) and Melissa was wearing baggy jeans, which seemed a bad choice to dance in.

I saw pics of Danica wearing a pretty heavy duty brace. I hope it's working for her.
    ness likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Was the difference that Melissa was injured after dress rehearsal? I can't remember. I just remember watching the rehearsal footage (vs. a live performance) and Melissa was wearing baggy jeans, which seemed a bad choice to dance in.

I saw pics of Danica wearing a pretty heavy duty brace. I hope it's working for her.
    Danica was injured early in the competition, and she said was most acute I think with the lifts on the Contemporary, but we didn't know it. We also didn't know she was injured when she did so well on the Quickstep. This lady is really good, those excellent scores might have been higher had she not been injured.

If she needs a brace then great, Amber used a brace for her knee, Cristian for his arm.

Melissa's injury must have occurred in between that marking rehearsal and dress rehearsal, because they would have used a dress rehearsal video instead of the camera blocking rehearsal that didn't show her full out.
    Last edited by EnglishCadbury; 05-01-2014 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    Or how about when Misty tore her Achilles' tendon? Sure, she was OUT, immediately. But I STILL recall seeing that rehearsal footage of when it happened, and hearing the tear go off like a rifle shot in the room.
    That's the one that gives me nightmares. **shudder**
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I'm not going to hijack the thread, but if I could show you pictures (there aren't any, because GROSS) of what my feet looked like after years in pointe shoes, you'd lose your appetite. A "normal" person wouldn't even want to walk or put on shoes, but I was in pointe shoes and dancing on feet that looked like accident photos. I'm talking blood, blisters, bruises, missing toenails, the whole nine. My feet finally look somewhat normal and I'm so glad I never gave in and had my toenails removed like some other dancers did. Still, they're not going to win any beauty contests.

The thing about dance is, you train SO hard and work through (sometimes a lot of) pain to create something beautiful. Even trained dancers have serious injuries. It's just how things go. You're doing things with your body that, really, a human body isn't meant to do. Eventually, something's got to give.

I'm sure the medical staff on this show is careful in keeping an eye out for everyone involved. I'm also sure that the dancers sign waivers to protect the show from too much liability. Ultimately, even if a doctor advises a dancer to stop, they make the decision about whether they're going to continue in the competition or not. I'm pretty sure Cristian de la Fuente's doctor told him he needed surgery immediately after that horrid (biceps?) injury, but he ignored that and kept dancing.

Although Danica looks to have a pretty strong core, it's still going to be tough for her to go on with the rib injury. I don't think she was ever going to make it to the final 3, but I pegged her for top 5. I don't want to see anyone go out with an injury, so I hope she's able to work through it. Unfortunately, I think it's only going to get worse as the competition progresses.
    What your feet looked like after being in pointe shoes for years?

Trust me, I BELIEVE you.

Why? Because YEARS ago, I remember seeing a pic of Judith Jamison. She was sitting against a rehearsal studio wall, wearing the costume she wore to dance "Cry" in. Her feet were bare and the soles of them faced the camera.

Oh, boy. My stomach STILL lurches when I remember that shot and what just the bottoms of her bare feet looked like. I cannot even BEGIN to imagine what the tops of her feet and her toes must've looked like! I marvel at the fact that she actually ALLOWED a photo of her bare feet (the bottoms of them, anyway!) to be taken and released, as busted-up as they were.

Dancing? How the hell she was even WALKING on her feet the way they looked then, I'LL never know!

I'm glad you brought up the medical staff and the waivers. I'm sure Danica must've been warned --- at SOME point --- about continuing to dance. But, the other side of THAT coin really IS that if someone wants to continue AMA, they're a grown-ass person, and can do so, if they wish to.

Not much can be done about that, I suppose.

I never thought she'd make F3, either, honestly. As for F5, I'm not that experienced enough to've been able to've pegged her for going that far, either. I knew I enjoyed seeing what she and Val put out there every week, seeing her try and do her best and actually be pretty darn good at it!

I'm glad Danica's got a brace for her midsection to try to protect and support that rib, as much as possible. But I really wish --- if it gets THAT bad! --- that she'd just bow out gracefully and sit her behind DOWN.

I believe I can understand (especially with your personal, first-hand insight) the amazing work ethic and striving for beautiful creations created with one's own body that's required of dancers, and those TRYING to do their best to put out credible dance performances. But, I'll also admit to being enough of a marshmallow and cream puff to where I also don't want to see ANYONE --- even those celebs I really DON'T like, or any of the pros --- risk possible permanent injury.

Yep, I'm concerned about Danica, AND Amy, too.

And yep, I'm GLAD BDW bowed out when HE did, as well. REGARDLESS of whether or not HE said "Time!", or his DOCTOR did it FOR him.

"In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

I'm not going to hijack the thread, but if I could show you pictures (there aren't any, because GROSS) of what my feet looked like after years in pointe shoes, you'd lose your appetite. A "normal" person wouldn't even want to walk or put on shoes, but I was in pointe shoes and dancing on feet that looked like accident photos. I'm talking blood, blisters, bruises, missing toenails, the whole nine. My feet finally look somewhat normal and I'm so glad I never gave in and had my toenails removed like some other dancers did. Still, they're not going to win any beauty contests.
    Mine too. My toes bled so badly. but I loved ballet so much, and I was so eager to go on pointe, I never minded.

I saw a photo of Marias feet , hmm forget her last name( she danced with Derek) the sides of her feet were raw. Huge huge blisters, that bought back memories.( shudder)
    I hope all of them with injuries are okay, if not drop out. It isn't worth a MBT imho
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Worst injury by far was Kym Johnson season 12. Simply horrifying, but Kym persevered, wearing that neck brace in practice and wardrobe said they had one encrusted in rhinestones if Kym had to wear it in performance.. I'm sure the competition was concerned and fans of other teams wanted them out, but she went on to win with Hines. That had to be one of my favourite seasons in the history of the show. It definitely had the highest ratings.

One thing about those injuries, if the contestant stays on the pro works even harder for them.
    Last edited by EnglishCadbury; 05-02-2014 at 12:45 AM.

Oh yes, poor Kym. That could have been far worse than it was.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678