+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 101
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Valerie Harper & Tristan MacManus - Season 17

  1. #11
    Live-Love-Laugh Fanny Mare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    21,668

    Re: Valerie Harper & Tristan MacManus - Season 17

    Val said she was asked to do the show before, now she has nothing to lose- happy for her, so happy. Tristan was all smiles in the latest photos I saw( beaming)
    he also enjoys his partners on Simply Dancing UK
    Florimel likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

  2. #12
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    9,849

    Re: Valerie Harper & Tristan MacManus - Season 17

    Quote Originally Posted by EnglishCadbury View Post
    Valerie is NOT quite in remission. She will need to rest Tuesdays and part of Wednesdays every week since the medication she must take makes her feel unwell. I'm really disappointed that DWTS were so desperate to cast Valerie. This is not a great situation, she could turn for the worse anytime and we get to be anxious every week. That's not entertainment. That's a morbid ratings grab. Valerie could have been a featured guest, and dance, but a whole competition is not good. Fighting cancer is such a climb that small victories are important, but they don't lend themselves to a popularity contest for an entire season.

    As for Tristan getting the older woman, that's really really unfair to him. Just because he has an easy going personality and not the pompous self absorbed win at all costs bratt Derek is, doesn't make it right for him to never get a contender. By never getting a contender, he'll never be able to really expand and show what he is capable of as a choreographer. They did this to Tony for years because of his personality. I say all the pros have to suck it up and get someone who obviously won't make it past top 6 at least once.
    Well, you know that was just a theory and really just a "wondering" thought on Tristan. It most definitely isn't the gospel, and I hope nobody latches on to it and/or spreads it like it is true. I know nothing of the sort! In fact, I have no honest idea why Tristin or Tony in the past end up with who they get.
    Florimel likes this.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

  3. #13
    Live-Love-Laugh Fanny Mare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    21,668

    Re: Valerie Harper & Tristan MacManus - Season 17

    Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers View Post
    Well, you know that was just a theory and really just a "wondering" thought on Tristan. It most definitely isn't the gospel, and I hope nobody latches on to it and/or spreads it like it is true. I know nothing of the sort! In fact, I have no honest idea why Tristan or Tony in the past end up with who they get.
    I was thinking of Trist and Dorothy, if she hadn't hurt herself, they would have gone much further .The tweets that they are getting now are marvelous, so I don't think Tristan is too wound up.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

  4. #14
    FORT Fogey EnglishCadbury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    900

    Re: Valerie Harper & Tristan MacManus - Season 17

    Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers View Post
    Well, you know that was just a theory and really just a "wondering" thought on Tristan. It most definitely isn't the gospel, and I hope nobody latches on to it and/or spreads it like it is true. I know nothing of the sort! In fact, I have no honest idea why Tristin or Tony in the past end up with who they get.
    I can honestly say that since Tony at least has been called "the nicest pro" and "best teacher" by his fellow castmates many times, we can see why DWTS casting do what they do.

  5. #15
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    9,849

    Re: Valerie Harper & Tristan MacManus - Season 17

    Quote Originally Posted by EnglishCadbury View Post
    I can honestly say that since Tony at least has been called "the nicest pro" and "best teacher" by his fellow castmates many times, we can see why DWTS casting do what they do.
    We speculated quite a bit every season on here about Tony and who he ended up with, and sometimes all we could decide is that perhaps the star requested Tony. At first, the producers tried to say that the stars got no say in who they were partnered with, but as the seasons came and went, it later came out that several stars did indeed request certain pros, and Tony often was one of the requested pros.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

  6. #16
    DWTS! KrazeeKy07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,021

    Re: Valerie Harper & Tristan MacManus - Season 17

    Cutest vid of her and Tristan on DancingABC Instagram!

    She was complimenting about how he dances as well as he does...and he's straight!

    And you know Tris with that adorable accent!
    Keep your feet on the ground, when your heads in the clouds!

  7. #17
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,525

    Re: Valerie Harper & Tristan MacManus - Season 17

    Louis also used to get the contestants who, whether they were young or old, tended to need some extra support for one reason or another--lack of self-confidence, lack of focus, lack of self-discipline or whatever.

    Almost everyone has, at one point or another, gotten someone who we knew from the get go didn't have much talent or much of a chance at winning, even if she/he had a fan base. Even Julianne got Adam Corolla. But some people get more than their fair share of Macy Grays or Master Ps, while a select few don't get them at all. I realize it partially has to do with things like height and even contestant preference--I'm sure to get a particular "star," they might have to make some concessions sometimes--but it still seems unfair.

    As teachers, I loved Louis and I love Tris, and it does bother me that they don't ever really get someone for whom they could do some really stellar choreography. I love Valerie Harper, and I wish her the best on all fronts, but realistically, she probably isn't going to win, not if she has to give up two rehearsal days a week. She does have some dance background, however. She was a Broadway musical dancer in her youth and a great favorite of choreographer Michael Kidd (according to her autobiography). But that was a long time ago, and she was in better health then, obviously.

  8. #18
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    9,849

    Re: Valerie Harper & Tristan MacManus - Season 17

    Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    Louis also used to get the contestants who, whether they were young or old, tended to need some extra support for one reason or another--lack of self-confidence, lack of focus, lack of self-discipline or whatever.

    Almost everyone has, at one point or another, gotten someone who we knew from the get go didn't have much talent or much of a chance at winning, even if she/he had a fan base. Even Julianne got Adam Corolla. But some people get more than their fair share of Macy Grays or Master Ps, while a select few don't get them at all. I realize it partially has to do with things like height and even contestant preference--I'm sure to get a particular "star," they might have to make some concessions sometimes--but it still seems unfair.

    As teachers, I loved Louis and I love Tris, and it does bother me that they don't ever really get someone for whom they could do some really stellar choreography. I love Valerie Harper, and I wish her the best on all fronts, but realistically, she probably isn't going to win, not if she has to give up two rehearsal days a week. She does have some dance background, however. She was a Broadway musical dancer in her youth and a great favorite of choreographer Michael Kidd (according to her autobiography). But that was a long time ago, and she was in better health then, obviously.
    Everything you point out is obviously true, except imo in all honesty although I defended Derek to the max last season because I think he deserved it, I don't think Derek has truly ever gotten one of those "I hope the best for her/him, but let's all face it, she/he simply is NOT going to ever - no way, no how - win type contestants."

    That said, Tristan is getting a chance as one of the pros each of these seasons to dance when others aren't, "to show us Tristin" (who he really is), he is getting excellent exposure as a professional dancer which undoubtedly will help him in future opportunities in the same kinds of ways as it has helped the others, and I have to believe that his kind nature is helping those he works with in even ways that we don't see.

    While it does on the surface seem grossly unfair to Tristan - right now - because he doesn't stand a chance to win "our tacky trophy , I take a lot of satisfaction in knowing that the sweetheart Tristan is helping those kinds of folks in ways that the excellent choreographer Derek, the good-looking, but sometimes way too gruff taskmasker Maks, and maybe even "good ole Tony" ( who I really like!) can't.

    In the end and the way of life ( what goes around, comes around and all that good type stuff), it may all balance out for Tristan. Good things that we may never hear or know about may come as a result of the people who he gets and is so kind to on this show.
    My own personal belief is that when a person does a good turn for someone else, that is going to show back up in that person's life somewhere down the road. I have seen it happen! That was a freebie! Anyway, I think somewhere down the way, Tristan will get a good "payback" for all of these situations.
    Florimel and ilja like this.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

  9. #19
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,525

    Re: Valerie Harper & Tristan MacManus - Season 17

    I can't disagree with anything you say, but it still seems grossly unfair that Tristan has been on five seasons now--so he's not really the new kid on the block anymore--and not once has he danced with anyone who hasn't got twenty-five or more years on him. With the exception of Dorothy, who unfortunately got injured, none of them have been in the best shape or had any real life experience that might have helped them on the dance floor either. I'm sure they appreciated his concern and talent as a teacher (well, maybe not Nancy), and I don't really care about the stupid trophy, but it's bothersome to me, as a viewer, to see him constantly paired with someone who realistically is not going to win, or even make it to the finals, no matter what he does, while others are applauded for their tremendous choreography when they have partners who can dance tremendous choreography. It's not Gladys Knight's fault she's not as limber as a twenty-something, but she's just not. And there's nothing in the world Tristan can do about that, no matter how well he teaches.

    As a viewer, I don't want to feel as if I know before pairings are even announced that some pros are going to have a much better shot at getting further along in the show than others. In fact, the last couple of seasons, I've bailed early and not even watched the finale, because I just didn't care after the few pairings I was enjoying--not necessarily because they were the best, but simply because I liked watching people learning a new skill and feeling proud of themselves--got the boot. That's likely to happen this season too. I can't even be home on Tuesday nights to find out who gets the boot from week to week, and I can't say I much care.

    I'd really like a season where the partners got changed up a couple of times a season, and the stars who made it to the end got to choose with whom they'd dance in the finals.

  10. #20
    Live-Love-Laugh Fanny Mare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    21,668

    Re: Valerie Harper & Tristan MacManus - Season 17

    Quote Originally Posted by KrazeeKy07 View Post
    Cutest vid of her and Tristan on DancingABC Instagram!

    She was complimenting about how he dances as well as he does...and he's straight!

    And you know Tris with that adorable accent!
    I saw it on his Facebook page, its adorable.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.