+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: 5/13 DWTS 16 Performance **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 5/13 DWTS 16 Performance **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    One thing I do hate( and I mean hate) I went on another forum where mostly everyone was calling her fat, I mean fat??or chunky- that was another name. WTG making others feels they have to be rail thin to dance
    I don't think she is fat, nor do I think you need to be rail thin to dance, however, there is something about her physique that just doesn't translate well in dance. The costumes they choose for her do not help either. I think it is her proportions. She is very short and very thick in the torso. Shawn had a similar build, but, I don't think she was quite as big in the torso. She did not seem as clunky out there as Ally does. When I think of say a Kirstie Alley who was a much heavier woman, but, she seemed more graceful and elegant on the dance floor. Maybe she was just more musical and used to performing, or it could just be because of the extra height. Mark doing a lot of her dances barefoot or in flats doesn't help and his use of foot stomping/clumping choreography just makes it worse.
    ness likes this.
    Alcohol does not solve problems but neither does milk...

The best exercise in the world is to bend down and help someone up.

The scoring...I really don't think Jacoby deserved a 10 especially compared to Aly and Ingo. These three are sorta in at the same skill level. I appreciate Ingo is trying and getting better. What does Jacoby do, oh yeah, he either jumps over or slides under Karina. I was surprised and impressed with Aly's tango, the girl has improved I would like to see her and Ingo go up against each other. Oh, back to my original thought there were a lot of tens thrown out last night I just don't think that they were compatible. I would be surprised to anyone one but Kelly and Zelanka be the final two. If Kelly and Zelanka were not in this season I think Aly, Ingo and Jacoby would make a very fair final three.
    Midol likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fogey

To my way of thinking, looking feminine and elegant is difficult for muscular girls like Aly; now on the other hand, muscular girls who have trained like Aly can perform a routine that simply took flat out physical endurance. Forget about whether it was a genre favorite! That dance looked hard simply to get through, and although she wasn't as good as the pro Mark, she did a pretty darn good job keeping up with him and executing a routine crammed full of steps and different moves. There wasn't anything easy about getting through that, and most of the rest of them would have struggled to have done the routine that fast, that hard, and for that long.
    To the best of my memory, the last one who tried something like that routine was the other gold medal gymnist, Shawn.

The next thing I would like to say is that in watching native tribal dances on shows like National Geographic, I have never seen them dancing two together in hold. Maybe I just missed that part.....

I think Aly has come a long, long ways, but it is very true that she has a muscular shape that isn't naturally what we are used to seeing and considering as feminine and elegant.

The next thing I would throw in as just an aside is that this same discussion came up with Shawn who was wildly popular at the time during her first showing. She had just become the USA gold medal darling in front of 200 million fans the previous summer.
    Shawn held a special place in the hearts of fans that made her a favorite during her season; although Aly is a gold medalist, too, she comes along after Shawn's #1 season and Shawn's #2 All Star season, and I don't think Aly is getting the same fan favor simply because the gold medalist special uniqueness part has worn off. Hence, I feel that Aly is basically left having to win her fans the same as the rest of them.
    ness and Midol like this.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

I feel that Aly is basically left having to win her fans the same as the rest of them.
    Which is only fair, she has won me over , that's for sure. I have enjoyed her, because she isn't a dancer.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Midol View Post
    I don't think she is fat, nor do I think you need to be rail thin to dance, however, there is something about her physique that just doesn't translate well in dance. The costumes they choose for her do not help either. I think it is her proportions. She is very short and very thick in the torso. Shawn had a similar build, but, I don't think she was quite as big in the torso. She did not seem as clunky out there as Ally does. When I think of say a Kirstie Alley who was a much heavier woman, but, she seemed more graceful and elegant on the dance floor. Maybe she was just more musical and used to performing, or it could just be because of the extra height. Mark doing a lot of her dances barefoot or in flats doesn't help and his use of foot stomping/clumping choreography just makes it worse.
    Mark may very well be Derek's brother from another mother, and yes, he CAN dance . . .

But he will never come even vaguely close to Derek's talent and use of common sense when dealing with his partners.

Wish though he may, try though he might.

JMHO.
    Coco46 and Midol like this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

One of the things that really got me about all those 10s they were flinging around last night was that it reminded me of the season they started WITH THE VERY FIRST SHOW scoring pretty much EVERYBODY clear into the stratosphere.

Then, they had hell to pay later on when they tried to score more realistically and found themselves in the eye of a hurricane of their own making.

Bless their hearts, sometimes I don't think the three of them even have two brain cells between them to rub together.
    Midol likes this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    One of the things that really got me about all those 10s they were flinging around last night was that it reminded me of the season they started WITH THE VERY FIRST SHOW scoring pretty much EVERYBODY clear into the stratosphere.

Then, they had hell to pay later on when they tried to score more realistically and found themselves in the eye of a hurricane of their own making.

Bless their hearts, sometimes I don't think the three of them even have two brain cells between them to rub together.
    What went through my mind was that they were scoring everyone high so that it would be absolutely up to the fans - and up to the fans alone - to determine who didn't make it to next week. In other words, I felt their agenda for this week was to be sure that they would not be the determining factor in who comes and who goes
    ness likes this.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    Mark may very well be Derek's brother from another mother, and yes, he CAN dance . . .

But he will never come even vaguely close to Derek's talent and use of common sense when dealing with his partners.

Wish though he may, try though he might.

JMHO.
    I think Mark is no longer under the illusion he can dance as good as Derek, they are however, very close. Its fun to read about them away from this show. Every pro on DWTS is competitive, otherwise they would be off it.I think Aly has done well with Mark as her partner.
    Just like Zendaya has done well with Val.

As to the judges-
    Bless their hearts, sometimes I don't think the three of them even have two brain cells between them to rub together
    . ICAM!!!
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by EnglishCadbury View Post
    Just to comment on the Rumba, Aly wore flats last evening for the Rumba and while it's a comfortable thing it can be a double edged sword. Hip action starts in the balls of the feet through the legs, (who was it this season it was like putting out a cigarette?) you have to get that motion going in the legs and through to the hips. In Latin heels when you dance on the balls of your feet you can see how the legs become taut and then the hip roll is easier to do. So for a dance like the Rumba, it's an advantage to dance in heels. In flats, it's just not that easy.

Karina wore flats for the Lindy Hop and that's as it should be. Lindy Hop doesn't require cuban motion. You can dance flat footed and it's perfectly acceptable since the dance is sort of funky urban feel.

Regarding the Hip Hop, I'm no expert but my eye kept travelling over to Val, he's just so crisp in his movement. In fact, this dance demonstrated that Zendaya while a marvelous student of dancing, and is especially comfortable in her style, is not a pro. A pro, like Val picked up a completely foreign style in a few days and made it look easy.
    Thanks for the response and apologize as I was gone for the day and just home now. I hadn't noticed the flats, but what you said makes perfect sense why the hip action was lacking. Totally agree the shoes have a lot to do with different dances and the movement you will get with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers View Post
    What went through my mind was that they were scoring everyone high so that it would be absolutely up to the fans - and up to the fans alone - to determine who didn't make it to next week. In other words, I felt their agenda for this week was to be sure that they would not be the determining factor in who comes and who goes
    Maybe that's it, but didn't everyone get a 10 but Ingo
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread