+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223 LastLast
Like Tree133Likes

Thread: 4/15 DWTS 16 Performance **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 4/15 DWTS 16 Performance **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    I thought when all of that came out Donny basically said he had worked with a ballroom pro to choreograph a routine for his Vegas show - so they taught him the steps and what order to put them in, but it wasn't really considered lessons. Now whether that is true or not is a completely different story. But I thought that was what the "party line" was at the time and why he wasn't DQ'ed.
    THANKS, KatesMom!

Frankly, I never remembered there being any kind of a flap about there being questions raised concerning whether or not Donny'd taken actual ballroom dance lessons prior to appearing on DWTS, in the first place.

I DID say in my post in response to EC: " . . . IF this is true . . ." And yep, I ALSO said that IF it was true, then he should've been DQed.

And I still stand by that.

Just as I would if it were anybody ELSE under question about having taken previous ballroom dance lessons before coming on DWTS.

However, this being DONNY OSMOND, I really don't think he'd be the type to KNOWINGLY go on DWTS --- and more likely than not, KNOWING what the parameters for an appearance on the show BEFOREHAND would be --- HAVING TAKEN PREVIOUS FORMAL BALLROOM DANCE LESSONS.

To me, there IS a difference between learning a ballroom routine for a particular show and the steps for that as opposed to actually taking ballroom dance lessons. Just as there is a difference between having danced on Broadway, in movies, onstage in concerts, on TV shows, etc., and having learned and danced actual ballroom dancing.

Bottom line, Donny may've very well learned a ballroom routine for his Vegas show. LaToya may've outed him for that, and a public straightening-out of the actual facts from Donny may've had to've occurred (and who KNOWS what rock I was under when all this supposedly came up?!).

Well, whoopee.

So, far as I'm concerned, because of his 50-some-odd years in showbusiness of having to learn and do dance routines for his various appearances, yep, he had ONE leg up on the greenhorns coming on this show (just as Katherine, Nicole, Jennifer, Marie, Melissa, MYA, Z, AND countless others have).

NOT two.

More clarification, information and the presentation of other sides of a story are WONDERFUL things, aren't they????

LOL!
    ilja and Fanny Mare like this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

I don't understand how anyone would give Osmond a "bye" for taking Ballroom from a private coach, as I recall the Vegas show and DWTS were more than coicindently at the same time, so he was going to have those lessons serve two purposes. DL promoted his stand up shows all through DWTS, and Osmond promoted the bejesus out of the Vegas show, complete with a Ballroom segment at the time he was competing.

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    THANKS, KatesMom!

Frankly, I never remembered there being any kind of a flap about there being questions raised concerning whether or not Donny'd taken actual ballroom dance lessons prior to appearing on DWTS, in the first place.

I DID say in my post in response to EC: " . . . IF this is true . . ." And yep, I ALSO said that IF it was true, then he should've been DQed.

And I still stand by that.

Just as I would if it were anybody ELSE under question about having taken previous ballroom dance lessons before coming on DWTS.

However, this being DONNY OSMOND, I really don't think he'd be the type to KNOWINGLY go on DWTS --- and more likely than not, KNOWING what the parameters for an appearance on the show BEFOREHAND would be --- HAVING TAKEN PREVIOUS FORMAL BALLROOM DANCE LESSONS.

To me, there IS a difference between learning a ballroom routine for a particular show and the steps for that as opposed to actually taking ballroom dance lessons. Just as there is a difference between having danced on Broadway, in movies, onstage in concerts, on TV shows, etc., and having learned and danced actual ballroom dancing.

Bottom line, Donny may've very well learned a ballroom routine for his Vegas show. LaToya may've outed him for that, and a public straightening-out of the actual facts from Donny may've had to've occurred (and who KNOWS what rock I was under when all this supposedly came up?!).

Well, whoopee.

So, far as I'm concerned, because of his 50-some-odd years in showbusiness of having to learn and do dance routines for his various appearances, yep, he had ONE leg up on the greenhorns coming on this show (just as Katherine, Nicole, Jennifer, Marie, Melissa, MYA, Z, AND countless others have).

NOT two.

More clarification, information and the presentation of other sides of a story are WONDERFUL things, aren't they????

LOL!
    I really enjoyed Donny on DWTS- that was the reason I watched him
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Mya was the biggest example of a ringer that has ever been on the show and the only one I believe should never have been a contestant. Just watch her performance as a featured dancer in Chicago, which was neither tap nor hip hop.
    ness likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Mya was the biggest example of a ringer that has ever been on the show and the only one I believe should never have been a contestant. Just watch her performance as a featured dancer in Chicago, which was neither tap nor hip hop.
    SO true.

I remember all the hellraising about Mya on DWTS like it might've happened yesterday.

As for her "Chicago" performance . . .

During the firestorm about her appearing on DWTS, I CLEARLY remember somebody, someWHERE actually running a clip of her dancing in the "Cell Block Tango" number. When I saw that clip, my jaw hit the floor.

Baby Girl was CLEARLY no neophyte.

Matter of fact, I actually remember there being a LOT of people that were pissed off ALL during her appearance on DWTS because she IS a trained, professional dancer. And yep, IIRC, ballroom was one of the disciplines it was said that she was trained IN.
    Florimel likes this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Mya was never trained in Ballroom. She's a tapper and a hip hopper. Cell Block Tango has nothing to do with Ballroom Tango. It's Bob Fosse modern jazz.

And don't get me started on Osmond. He's a mean one, especially when he critiques other dancers.

I'll have to respectfully disagree, English. Of course Cell Block Tango was a Fosse Broadway dance, but you don't become a featured dancer in a Fosse show or film without being a professional. I even remember her contributing major elements to the choreo when she was on DWTS and arguing with her pro to use hers. JMO, but I hold to it.
    NCLurker, ness and Fanny Mare like this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Is there a list of who is dancing what dances next week besides the team dances? I can't seem to find it anywhere.
    "The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one." ~Elbert Hubbard
    "Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product." ~Eleanor Roosevelt
    ~R.I.P. Grandma 6/22/33 - 10/5/10~

I'll have to respectfully disagree, English. Of course Cell Block Tango was a Fosse Broadway dance, but you don't become a featured dancer in a Fosse show or film without being a professional. I even remember her contributing major elements to the choreo when she was on DWTS and arguing with her pro to use hers. JMO, but I hold to it.
    You're not alone.

I clearly remember her choreographing some of what she danced on DWTS, too.

Why?

"Cause there was a major flap up about that, also, after the news got out/leaked about her doing that. Clear across the board --- in THIS country, at least --- people were screeching "Ringer!" so loud, you could've heard every last one of 'em in lead-lined coffins buried eighteen feet under.

OH, yeah.

THAT, I remember WELL.

Oh now let's put this into perspective. Donny Osmond headlines his own show at the Flamingo, with his sister and they yack about Dancing With the Stars, and they dance Ballroom on the stage. Ya think maybe he's not going to learn ACTUAL Ballroom?

And please, ever heard of Stunt casting? Sure Mya is a professional TAP/hip hop dancer but CHICAGO is the type of show that brings in celebs all the time to headline it for the box office. Hell even Lisa Rinna headlined it for a short period of time. Mya is not the first celeb to argue with the pro and definitely not the last.

Here's what we know so far, according to @dwtsgossip

Zendaya and Val Cha Cha Cha
    Kellie and Derek Quickstep
    Jacoby and Karina Quickstep
    Aly and Mark Foxtrot
    Sean and Peta Samba
    Victor and Lindsay ??
    Ingo and Kym Tango
    Andy and Sharna ??
    Last edited by Arielflies; 04-19-2013 at 11:56 AM.

+ Reply to Thread